Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2014 - Forecasts, thoughts & predictions...

Posted

I need a time machine to go back to 1934.

I wouldn't mind the ridiculous temperatures so much if the sun bothered to come out (I enjoyed late October 2005 for that reason) but this setup really is awful. Absolutely awful. No taste of summer here, just a(nother) horrible clammy grey day. I genuinely can't remember the last time I saw the sun for more than five minutes.

If there's such thing as hell I'm sure there's a constant flow of Atlantic southwesterlies there.

• Like 2

Posted

Lets not forget that 6 years ago many places including the south got snow before Halloween on the 28th October 2008!

• Like 4

Posted
This is the most dismal and depressing autumn I can ever recall. It is not remotely summerlike and hasn't been since early August. Just day in day out of vile gloom, unremarkable maxima and disgustingly mild minima combining to give the drabest colours I have ever seen - yes even worse than 2006 and 2011.

Can’t even remember the last properly sunny day. Not one day in October managed 7 hours of sunshine - the first time this has happened since 1933. Today was supposed to be sunny but yet again the sky has filled up almost completely with horrid grey cloud.

Total of just 183.3 hours sun for September and October makes it the dullest combination since 1992. That was a cold autumn - nowhere near as murky and gloomy as 2014. Also despite October 1992 being one of the coldest on record it still managed a warmer maximum than this pathetically dull and boring October managed. Lots of frost as well - something practically extinguished from October these days. Just 3/10 have had a frost now whereas before it would be more like 3/10 that didn't.

At least 2006 and 2011, my previous most detested autumns, managed warm and sunny weather in September. I can't think of any redeeming features for Autumn 2014. It's been unrelentingly nasty and unpleasant pretty much like the year as a whole save for March, the middle third of April and July.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Just had a look outside and theres some shoots appearing for next year already 3/4 inches high. Now they are always the earliest to appear but never known they be this high so early.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Below is the daily mean Halloween CET for every year since 1772, with 2014 in red. Quite a jump this year!

K4jVPoX.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Interesting graph BFTV,one can see the 14c line being breached for the first time in 2009 and now twice more since then and of course in fact the 16c line being breached this year. I find it all rather unsettling.

Posted

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Interesting graph BFTV,one can see the 14c line being breached for the first time in 2009 and now twice more since then and of course in fact the 16c line being breached this year. I find it all rather unsettling.

Actually, 14C was beaten on the very first date too, in 1772. Easy to miss though!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

October AO was the 7th most negative on record (2 of the other 6 being 09 and 12).

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I must agree that it hasn't been too bad. It has been blighted by a couple of very wet days. Those days bring a couple of inches of rain each which isn't good for this part of the world.

Certainly hoping the ECM is wrong as those later charts are again showing large rainfall amounts.

Posted

November is turning into a pretty grim month here with these constant easterlies, much like most of the spring. We're on 42 hours of sunshine so far with less than 2 hours in the last week. Temperatures have been pretty static too, generally between 6-12C. Lots of wet days aswell, though no very large rainfall amounts.

Its been a pretty good example of what the entire year has been here, homogenously above average with few extremes, little heat, cold, no storms, snow and a semi-permanent easterly wind. I for one can't wait to see the back of it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Otterbourne in Hampshire hit 15.8C yesterday not as warm today and certainly cooler during the coming week as winter arrives with some frost and fog maybe even some wintry showers in the north west

Posted

Looks like it will be the 3rd warmest on the CET record too. Which would mean the top 3 will have been set in the last 9 years.