Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2014 - Forecasts, thoughts & predictions...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Yeah I'm out until March. No point being on here for the two seasons I loathe. Let the coldies have their turn. .I hope this Autumn and Winter brings you the weather you desire, even though I'm going into hibernation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

What a difference 24 hours makes yesterday morning it was wet and windy, this morning its dry and sunny after a misty start, chilly as you would expect given the time of year but much improved on 24 hours ago

Posted

Second horrible morning in a row here. Hope it clears up quickly like yesterday.

It must be really bad in parts of Scotland if they're under a rain warning and we're not! The Grampians will be getting a good pasting too.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Cool fresh morning with plenty of sunshine here,got down to 4.3c last night the coldest ive recorded so far this autumn. 8.6c atm

Posted

Second horrible morning in a row here. Hope it clears up quickly like yesterday.

It must be really bad in parts of Scotland if they're under a rain warning and we're not! The Grampians will be getting a good pasting too.

Absolutely horrific here. I've had 92.8mm this month already - 112% of the full monthly average despite the 1st, 2nd and 5th all being bone dry. It's my second wettest week on record after 21st-27th October 2009 with 109mm.

Only the Isle of Man has also exceeded their full month rainfall average. The stark difference between there and here is that they enjoyed a very sunny September as opposed to the disgusting gloom and fog fest endured here.

Temperatures have been the typical post-1998 rubbish of average days combined with very mild nights. Still waiting for a colder temperature than was reached in August. Exactly 20 years ago we were enjoying ideal autumn conditions. Abundant sunshine with maxima of 16-19C and minima barely above freezing. As far removed from the present, and much of the past 15 autumns as it's possible to get. We rarely get any decent autumn conditions these days just endless southerly gloom.

I loathed the autumns of 2001, 2005, 2006, 2009 and 2011 plus last October. This one is worse than any of those. There is just no colour in the trees and following this weeks foul conditions many are becoming bare with piles of soggy green leaves clogging up the pavements  :bad:

2014 will go down as my most detested year no matter what happens now. That is a certainty

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Not had much "bad" weather this autumn here, some long 'calm' spells and not too much rain, but enough to keep things ticking over.  From a natural POV I think it has been good for nature overall.  Still saving on the energy bills as it remains mild so a positive there IMHO, why spend money you do not have to?

• Like 1

Posted

The beeb are expecting it to remain mild next week with the south seeing the driest weather and the north see some rain, the high to our south has a low chance of moving north which if it does will settle things down more widely for a time

Untitled1.pngUntitled2.png

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Coming up to November and i'm remembering my favourate November.. 2005. Near record warmth in the first 12 days, second half was the third coldest since 1952 at 1.6C (as a half i think colder than 2010).

Here is the 10th, a classic Bartlett..

Rrea00120051110.gif

And the change on the 12th resulted in this..

Rrea00120051116.gif

And then we got a freezing cold high (amazing - clear skies but as low as -14C in Scotland and -10C at Benson, proper inversion weather)..

Rrea00120051122.gif

And then finally another northerly (a very sharp gradiant - went to school at 11C at 9am - left school at 3pm - was 3C with a bone chilling wind - gave snow to the south west)..

Rrea00120051126.gif

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Coming up to November and i'm remembering my favourate November.. 2005. Near record warmth in the first 12 days, second half was the third coldest since 1952 at 1.6C (as a half i think colder than 2010).

Here is the 10th, a classic Bartlett..

Rrea00120051110.gif

And the change on the 12th resulted in this..

Rrea00120051116.gif

And then we got a freezing cold high (amazing - clear skies but as low as -14C in Scotland and -10C at Benson, proper inversion weather)..

Rrea00120051122.gif

And then finally another northerly (a very sharp gradiant - went to school at 11C at 9am - left school at 3pm - was 3C with a bone chilling wind - gave snow to the south west)..

Rrea00120051126.gif

Remember this very well. A cold front moved South giving heavy snow on its back edge. So much so a good covering was left the following morning as I played rugby in it! Could not even do my buttons up on my school shirt after, I was that cold!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Before then this week could actually see summer making one last hurrah before Autumn truly kicks into gear as we enter October. The weekly BBC forecast has temperatures possibly hitting 20C for 3 of the 5 working days this week. Only Wednesday looks like seeing average temperatures. T-shirt only* for the last time this year perhaps. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/29778046

*Obviously I am wearing trousers as well :rofl:  

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Just based on previous Octobers with similar QBO and MEI values (to what's expected), this is the composite generated.

YQdNGCR.png

Quite a strong blocking signal to our north east.

Unfortunately, the reanalysis data is stuck on the 22nd, but it seems that the blocking signal to the north east turned out to be real (or coincidence) going by the SLP anomalies for the first 22 days of the month. Not a perfect match, but useful I think.

ZZhZqx0.gif

Using the same method to predict the November pattern, we get the following

ZNL3oZN.png

A very unsettled pattern there. If this turns out anywhere close to accurate, a very wet month could be on the cards.

• Like 1

Posted

A cold snap to start next week with some frosty mornings before milder wetter weather returns later

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/29794071

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

The persistence of the warm / mild weather this autumn has got my daffs and crocus bulbs poking through the ground already the previous record for me was late November so that is smashed by around 4 weeks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Thought for a minute the 0z GFS was going to chuck up an undercutter but it was always odds against, The trough to the West just couldn't eject a shortwave or dig south far enough.

Posted

Officially the warmest Halloween on record and its only 11:30

Filton (South Gloucestershire) has hit 20.5c and its still rising

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

In 35 years of records the 31st October and no date in November has ever surpassed 17.6C here, yet today we're already at 18.8C.

There's a slight easterly component to the wind so I think we'll miss out on hitting 20C, but if we did that would be even more exceptional as its never happened after 15th October.

Posted

although it is 20c here its a completely different feeling to how 20c feels in mid summer this is far more pleasant for me

Posted

23.5C has been recorded in Gravesend, Kent, making it the warmest Halloween on record which beats the previous record of 20.0c which was first set in Dartford, Kent, 1968 then equaled in 1989 in north-eastern parts of Greater London

Posted

23.5C has been recorded in Gravesend, Kent, making it the warmest Halloween on record which beats the previous record of 20.0c which was first set in Dartford, Kent, 1968 then equaled in 1989 in north-eastern parts of Greater London

Compared that with Halloween 1934 when it snowed in places

1934e.jpg

• Like 5