Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2014 - Forecasts, thoughts & predictions...

Posted

Well the Swifts are gone so there is a telling sign.

The swallows that breed in our barn and local steadings all seem to have left some time in late August. I wonder if it was the period of very cool nights that affected their food source or do they move on the basis of prevailing weather, irrespective of insect supply?

The other migratory birds were away early too.

• Like 2

Posted

I think autumn 2014 has gotten off to a great start.

It's started like a bag of crap and way more akin to the season where this sort of rubbish belongs - the summer just gone.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I think autumn 2014 has gotten off to a great start. Yes it has generally been cloudier than I would have liked, but it has been quite warm. Should we keep this high for most of September, which looks likely at the moment, then that's one of the criteria met for the perfect autumn!

Yes I agree certainly making up for the poor August and no real sign of high pressure leaving yet

:)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

What a great SUMMERS day,yes it may be officially autumn but today was better than anything we had in almost all august,sunny all daypurple heather on the moors and farmers unseasonably haymaking what they could not do in august !

• Like 4

Posted

Absolutely foul day. Rain and 12C as the worst run of weekends I have ever endured keeps on going. This is the 14th in a row with rain :bad:

Horrid first week of September as well. Worse than any week of August, beating 2011 as the dullest I have recorded with only 22.9 hours sun and over half of that was recorded on Tuesday. The worst start to September since at least 2001. It has been a nauseating mix of anticyclonic gloom and rain with 12mm over the past few days.

Very much on the cool side of average as well. It has not reached 19C since 16th August. Just abysmal and it certainly feels like the earliest Autumn since 1992. Getting this miserable cold wet grey weather in September is worse than any other month as it means the last hope for warm sunshine is written off and more than a 6-month wait before we're likely to see it again.

Edited by Richard2901
  • Like 1

Posted

Absolutely foul day. Rain and 12C as the worst run of weekends I have ever endured keeps on going. This is the 14th in a row with rain :bad:

Horrid first week of September as well. Worse than any week of August, beating 2011 as the dullest I have recorded with only 22.9 hours sun and over half of that was recorded on Tuesday. The worst start to September since at least 2001. It has been a nauseating mix of anticyclonic gloom and rain with 12mm over the past few days.

It's alright for some, innit?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

I'm really liking this weather at the moment. Cool, misty mornings and not too warm days. Nice.

Edited by simshady
  • Like 3

Posted

I'm really liking this weather at the moment. Cool misty, mornings and not too warm days. Nice.

It's getting there, but tedium is starting to set in.What I'd really like to see right now is a good ol' rain and wind storm.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

It's getting there, but tedium is starting to set in.What I'd really like to see right now is a good ol' rain and wind storm.

Yeah, the cool mornings and evenings are hitting the mark, it's just the bit in-between! Brilliant for taking the dogs for a walk just before the sun comes up though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Lovely Autumn morning today. Cool with lots of dew on the lawn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

I'm hoping this sunny, settled weather lasts a little longer. I know in my profile it says I dislike stagnant weather patterns, but after the lovely June and July followed by the poor August, I'm craving a little more sunshine and warmth before the inevitable decent into Winter.

Posted

Yes, playing golf this morning, a 9.30 tee off, and the 'wetness' on the grass was most noticeable. That has not been there, after no rain, for a long time.

Posted

The recent weather hasn't been what I would call summer-like as minimum temperatures rarely dip to 7-8C in summer here, but it has been lovely with daytime maxima of 17-19C, plenty of sunshine and little wind. The low sun is very noticeable now and the grass decidedly wet when I cut it earlier despite no rain for quite a few days.

What I am not looking forward to is the onset of easterlies over the next few days. Its bound to bring cloud, cool maxima and high minima to this area - pretty much what dogged this area all through the spring.

Edited by reef
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes Reef, The cooler nights are certainly reminding me we are in Autumn. All the decaying smells have started, some trees are turning, Fog and lots of dew in the mornings.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

A good crop of blackberries around here. Tasty as well.

I'm amazed that most of the blackberries have come and gone already here. I started picking a few in late July - possibly the earliest ever in my lifetime!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I don't know about anyone else but I personally have really enjoyed this September so far. It's been pleasantly warm and also wonderfully benign, and it looks like it's going to get even better next week with higher temperatures and some scattered thunderstorms.

Loving it so far

• Like 1

Posted

I don't know about anyone else but I personally have really enjoyed this September so far. It's been pleasantly warm and also wonderfully benign, and it looks like it's going to get even better next week with higher temperatures and some scattered thunderstorms.

Unless you live in the east, in which case its going to be more of what we've had pretty much non-stop since March, Cloud!

We're almost half way through the month and have only had 48 hours of sunshine so far this September. Temperatures have been exactly average aswell, currently 14.4C (+0.0C) here at the moment.

The only real positive is that it has been dry, had sunshine mainly in the middle of the day and had some clearances overnight to give some cooler minima.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

After a week or so of fairly warm and bright conditions. It looks like this settled spell could develop some teeth this coming week with temperatures possibly pushing 80F by the middle and latter part of the week. Summer(esque) conditions are not dead yet.

• Like 2

Excluding today over 90hrs of sun so far in September in St Athan and over 85hrs in North Wales at Valley.

Local temps are nearly 2c above average, with only 1mm of rain so far.

However still plenty of time for these stats to change, as so often happens.

A thunderstorm can easily add substantially to those rainfall totals.