Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2014 - Forecasts, thoughts & predictions...

Posted

As we are over half way through summer I think we should all look ahead to the next weather season.

What are everyones thoughts on the upcoming autumn?

• Like 2

Posted

Another warm one, autumn is just becoming an extension of summer nowadays, first half anyway.

I'm thinking the same as you. I have a gut feeling the second half will be much colder than the first half of the autumn. This run of above average months has to stop at some point...

• Like 1

Posted

I'm thinking the same as you. I have a gut feeling the second half will be much colder than the first half of the autumn. This run of above average months has to stop at some point...

Hoping for much the same as you. Nice and warm to start with, and then turning colder towards the tail end. 2010 anyone? Edited by Ruufio
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Good. An Autumn thread.

A lovely mellow Autumn is in order with morning frosts at some points, some morning mists or fog would suffice. Nice cool temperatures with a little wind and some rain now and then as the days shorten and the sun dips beyond the horizon still leaving it's faint glow behind. The leaves falling from the trees as they change from verdant green to brown, orange, red and yellow and as they pile up on the pathways  children on the way to school kick them with glee. This is what I hope for......

Edited by simshady
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Another warm one, autumn is just becoming an extension of summer nowadays, first half anyway.

what I was going to post, and Dec to mid Jan the 'real' autumn, with rain/gales

Posted

Good. An Autumn thread. A lovely mellow Autumn is in order with morning frosts at some points, some morning mists or fog would suffice. Nice cool temperatures with a little wind and some rain now and then as the days shorten and the sun dips beyond the horizon still leaving it's faint glow behind. The leaves falling from the trees as they change from verdant green to brown, orange, red and yellow. This is what I hope for......

Couldn't have put it better myself. :)
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I just hope this one doesn't last 6 months like the last one!

• Like 9

Posted

Good. An Autumn thread.

A lovely mellow Autumn is in order with morning frosts at some points, some morning mists or fog would suffice. Nice cool temperatures with a little wind and some rain now and then as the days shorten and the sun dips beyond the horizon still leaving it's faint glow behind. The leaves falling from the trees as they change from verdant green to brown, orange, red and yellow and as they pile up on the pathways  children on the way to school kick them with glee. This is what I hope for......

That would be ideal. It seems like years and years since we had an autumn like that. It's usually an extended summer or an atlantic driven wet mess.

Fingers crossed for something similar to autumn 2010.

• Like 4

Posted

However 'bad' Autumn turns out to be, it'll be better than all things 'summer'. You know the game is over the moment they stop trying to sell crap on the back of it and playing 'Summer soddin' Breeze' at every opportunity. At least we're guaranteed bare trees and darkness and that's a million-fold improvement on now.

• Like 4

Posted

I think this Autumn will be a continuation of what we have experienced for the last 12 months. I think it will be a warm/hot start to the autumn with temps consistently 20c+ in the south. I think November will be another warm month with temps consistently in the mid teens.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Hope we get a decent autumn this yr,like some others have said Autumns nowadays often just seem like extensions of summer for the first half anyway. Last Autumn didnt really start feeling properly autumnal i thought until about the first week of Nov. Thought last Autumn that the leaves were a bit slow to turn too although maybe that was because of the cold spring we had had last year, i would expect the leaves to turn quicker this year then last as there was good growth this spring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I just hope this one doesn't last 6 months like the last one!

I liked last autumn and winter as it saved a poor person like me a fortune in energy bills and meant I had a bit spare for a 4 day holiday this year instead of blowing it all on pesky heating bills.

• Like 3

Posted

even though september is technically an autumn month i still think of it as a summer month here, yes the evenings are a bit darker but the days are still warm, plants are still flowering, crops are harvesting and the leaves on the trees are still green, i'd say summer is a 4 month season from june to the end of september, autumn starts in october and winter is only 2 month season jan and feb

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I think September will be warmer and drier than average, October cooler and wetter than average, November cooler and drier than average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Lets hope for a warm, sunny September with temps in the twenties most of the time. Then October marks a change to a more showery start but with some dry days mixed in. Then come mid-month onward we start to see high pressure building in from the Atlantic keeping it dry but mostly cloudy and temperatures around average. From the end of October to the start of November we say goodbye to the high which makes its way back into the Atlantic forcing the jet stream to take a southerly dive underneath but manages to bend back to sit through the North of Spain and through central France thus leaving England and Wales most prone to rain or showers with maybe snow on some of the Scottish hills, Cumbria etc because of the cooler air behind these depressions. This pattern doesn't last long though as we see that same high pushing North and East and becoming ever stronger as it does. This delivers frequent N or NE winds cooling things down quite a bit with the chance of a few wintry showers around coasts, especially Northern Scotland and the North Sea coast. Then to end November a series of troughs start to develop from Norway and the Arctic and travel South through the country bringing the first substantial snowfalls of the season but most of these will not deliver much to the South of the UK and Wales. By the very end, temperatures should be no more than 4 -5C in the South and 2-3C in the North with hard frosts at night with temps around 0 to -5/-6C.

Feeling optimistic at the end but worth a try!! :) can't be that far off can I?? Or maybe I'm another James Madman!! :rofl:  :rofl:

• Like 4

I love the dry autumns with the multi coloured leaves contrasting against an azure sky, then falling but remaining dry and crisp - starting off warm but gently cooling to end with morning frosts adding an additional dimension. The growing season is finishing so we don't need any rain - a reasonable amount of snow in the winter should moisten the ground for the following spring as it melts. Alas it is something we very rarely get.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

Good to see a Autumn thread. Dismayed to see the treatment for a thread for the season which follows which was closed. I won't say the word as some do seem to come out in allergic reactions and start gibbering. The audacity. Never do understand the reaction, if you don't like it, then don't post in it.

Anyways, the sooner we get into Autumn the better, hopefully we'll see this torturous heat start to fade to cool, fog and eventually some frost. Too warm weather in autumn is dreadful!

• Like 4

Posted

Good to see a Autumn thread. Dismayed to see the treatment for a thread for the season which follows which was closed. I won't say the word as some do seem to come out in allergic reactions and start gibbering. The audacity. Never do understand the reaction, if you don't like it, then don't post in it.Anyways, the sooner we get into Autumn the better, hopefully we'll see this torturous heat start to fade to cool, fog and eventually some frost. Too warm weather in autumn is dreadful!

Unfortunately, Winter seems to be the forbidden fruit on this forum for some reason. Although I do agree that it still is a little early to be discussing this coming Winter, I do believe there should be a separate thread open for all four seasons all year round. If you don't want to discuss it don't enter the thread........ simples.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

Unfortunately, Winter seems to be the forbidden fruit on this forum for some reason. Although I do agree that it still is a little early to be discussing this coming Winter, I do believe there should be a separate thread open for all four seasons all year round. If you don't want to discuss it don't enter the thread........ simples.

Absolutely, even the people who start the threads know its far too early. And considering just how random even short term forecasts are - I don't really see the problem. But when mods shut down the thread just because they think its too early - that's a bit heavy handed. Let people talk about what they want, and as u say if u don't want to - then just don't go into that thread with the sole purpose of moaning!
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

As usual I will be hoping that September to continue to be the pseudo-summer month with some decent warmth and sunshine. I just hope the wind and rain doesn't last too long before we hit mid November and much colder weather becomes an option.

I feel the current system is fine for the seasonal threads, opening the Autumn one during mid summer and so on and so forth is fine as by then you have enough global long range models to actually get some decent discussion about what might happen in the months ahead.

• Like 2