Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

No storms, hate storms - post your storm related moans and groans here.

Paul

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

A few on here seem to have the memories of a goldfish complaining of no storms in the likes of Bedford, Peterborough and IOM.

• Like 1

Posted

Overall the weekened was very good for thunderstorms here fair play best since 2008 I make it so far overall this year,they were hit and miss it seems over the country generally weekened,SE widespread.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

A few on here seem to have the memories of a goldfish complaining of no storms in the likes of Bedford, Peterborough and IOM.

Excuse me? Normally I don't get storms. I didn't on Saturday and yesterdays storm didn't hit me, i could just hear it. 

So what you trying to say?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

And how many of those 30,000 did I see?? It's a con.

What's a con, exactly?

• Like 2

Posted

And how many of those 30,000 did I see?? It's a con.

Did you get any rumbles of thunder or sheet lightning.

Do those 30,000 count as CC/CG only and not the above sheet I wonder.

That was just for that first night if I remember seeing it.

So many questions and so few answers.

• Like 1

Posted

Excuse me? Normally I don't get storms. I didn't on Saturday and yesterdays storm didn't hit me, i could just hear it. 

So what you trying to say?

Well have you had a thunderstorm this year? :hi: If so why would you still qualify as a NSC member?

I observe the radar/ sferics almost constantly and your area seems to have had its fair share of activity this year, along with Peterborough (one of the UK storm capitals I would say) and IOM which had a cracker in the Spring I think it was.

• Like 1

Posted

Did you get any rumbles of thunder or sheet lightning.

Saw maybe six flashes in the distance around Saturday teatime, after what looked at first to be heading directly for my locale...

Edited by Osbourne One-Nil

Posted

Saw maybe six flashes in the distance around Saturday teatime, after what looked at first to be heading directly for my locale...

Looks like it died out,not much thunder activity in the more northern parts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Have to agree with the mega letdown was expecting much worse.My excitement wouldve been tempered somewhat if it wernt for the over the top weather warnings by the metoffice.Anyway hopefully something thundery this week :rofl: I quite like this thread shame theres no  i hate the summer thread cus id be at home there lol

Edited by ncikos
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Have to agree with the mega letdown was expecting much worse.My excitement wouldve been tempered somewhat if it wernt for the over the top weather warnings by the metoffice.Anyway hopefully something thundery this week :rofl: I quite like this thread shame theres no  i hate the summer thread cus id be at home there lol

The weather warnings were spot on. They warned of the potential for thunderstorms, some intense, and that due to the nature of the thunderstorms some areas would miss them completely.

I have criticised the Met Office this spring/summer a couple of times for their storm forecasts (or lack of at times), but for the most recent event they did very well. The weather varies enormously beyond your own back yard!

Edit: And this is from someone who got naff all from the thundery spell by the way. I was as gutted as anyone.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Well have you had a thunderstorm this year? :hi: If so why would you still qualify as a NSC member?

I observe the radar/ sferics almost constantly and your area seems to have had its fair share of activity this year, along with Peterborough (one of the UK storm capitals I would say) and IOM which had a cracker in the Spring I think it was.

I go by events, so if an event is forecast and I don't get something, then I consider myself 'NSC' no matter how many storms I get in a year, and in this case on Saturday I had nothing so was 'NSC'. On Balance A lot of storms miss my location or spilt up, and I can assure you that we have missed out a fair bit too when other places haven't. 

This thread BTW is here so we can moan about stuff , so I shall moan as much as i please. 

• Like 2

Posted

And I shall moan about those that moan!

• Like 1

Posted

It's all well and good dishing warnings out for those whose lives and/or livelihoods depend on it - such people would seek out forecasts as a matter of course. But we ALL had this terrible,apocalyptic spectre of doom and destruction forced upon us if we dared switch on the telly or radio.Really, you'd have thought the world was about to end but in the event a lot of places did get thunderstorms - even more did not. What's the worst that could have happened anyway with regard to thunder and lightning, and what could you do to mitigate their effects - wear earplugs and hastily nip outside to erect a lightning conductor? It's not as though a hurricane or F5 tornado was ever in the offing. Completely OTT weather warnings are de rigeur, these days. What about all those folk who cancelled planned activities only to sit home instead, staring wistfully at sunny skies, and those who lost a lot of cash on what shoud've been one of the most lucrative weekends of the year?

Posted

Obviously some of you did not actually read the warnings, each one had words of this type, 'not all will see...but where they do occur...' Is it asking too much for those who have easy access to the actual text to take the time to read the outputs?

• Like 4

Posted

It's all well and good dishing warnings out for those whose lives and/or livelihoods depend on it - such people would seek out forecasts as a matter of course. But we ALL had this terrible,apocalyptic spectre of doom and destruction forced upon us if we dared switch on the telly or radio.Really, you'd have thought the world was about to end but in the event a lot of places did get thunderstorms - even more did not. What's the worst that could have happened anyway with regard to thunder and lightning, and what could you do to mitigate their effects - wear earplugs and hastily nip outside to erect a lightning conductor? It's not as though a hurricane or F5 tornado was ever in the offing. Completely OTT weather warnings are de rigeur, these days. What about all those folk who cancelled planned activities only to sit home instead, staring wistfully at sunny skies, and those who lost a lot of cash on what shoud've been one of the most lucrative weekends of the year?

Come off it! Severe thunderstorms were quite widespread, with large hail, lightning and wind damage and serious if localised flooding!

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

The weather warnings were spot on. They warned of the potential for thunderstorms, some intense, and that due to the nature of the thunderstorms some areas would miss them completely.

I have criticised the Met Office this spring/summer a couple of times for their storm forecasts (or lack of at times), but for the most recent event they did very well. The weather varies enormously beyond your own back yard!

Edit: And this is from someone who got naff all from the thundery spell by the way. I was as gutted as anyone.

Eh no, their rain prediction was way way out, many miles infact and their Amber warning was also a complete balls up ;)

Still the met did better than the beeb forecasting

Edited by TruthSpeaker

Posted

Eh no, their rain prediction was way way out, many miles infact and their Amber warning was also a complete balls up ;)

Still the met did better than the beeb forecasting

odd that as beeb forecasters are Met O staff in the main on 24 hours and 1 and 2, 1 or 2 exceptions. I assume you are referring to the web output. I have lost count of the number of times I have commented on the difference between BBC and Met O web outputs, no idea why but it is there at times.

I also disagree with your comment re their warnings, as Nick L posts they were quite accurate and one only had to read the text of their warnings to, I would have thought, understand the variability in almost all thundery set ups. Some get lots, some get nowt.

• Like 2

Posted

No storm for us last weekend, was not happy as really prepared for an amazing storm.

But 16 miles away 2 weekends before we had a pretty good storm that I would of missed had I been at home..

Posted

Do you not read the news?? Several houses were struck by lightning which set their house on fire. A lady was throw backwards against a wall after her sky dish was struck.

I think the weekend's storms were more than worthy of a warning. This is the UK, we don't see storms like this every day.

Edited by TracyS
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

That is the very nature of convective weather - you cannot expect the Met Office to pinpoint weather warnings on specific localities because it doesn't work like that - they CANNOT, with any confidence, say which localities will get storms and which will not - all they can do is highlight a risk and release warnings in due course for certain areas and regions - and they ALWAYS specify that 'not everywhere will get a thunderstorm' or 'some areas will remain dry'.

If they do not release weather warnings highlighting the risk of severe weather, then they will not be doing their job as the national meteorological organisation. It is their duty to inform the public on the potential for severe weather - it is better to be safe than sorry. Nobody forces anyone to cancel their plans - all they can do is warn on the potential, and that is it. The Met Office never state with absolute certainty that anything will happen - they are not mystic megs.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

My mate didnt go to the bristol harbour festival cus of the pathetic warnings made by the met office.He lives in south wales and didnt make the trip cus of bad thunderstorms forecast which didnt happen.What winds people up even more is the lack of a apology.Why is it u never hear a weatherman/woman appolgise when they get the weather forecast so wrong.Take the flooding on the somerset levels the way the bbc were talkin about it at the time the whole of somerset was underwater NOT so.The met office and the bbc are as bad as the daily express for ramping things up.As far as im concerned there a disgrace RANT OVER lol

Edited by ncikos

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

My mate didnt go to the bristol harbour festival cus of the pathetic warnings made by the met office.He lives in south wales and didnt make the trip cus of bad thunderstorms forecast which didnt happen.What winds people up even more is the lack of a apology.Why is it u never hear a weatherman/woman appolgise when they get the weather forecast so wrong.Take the flooding on the somerset levels the way the bbc were talkin about it at the time the whole of somerset was underwater NOT so.The met office and the bbc are as bad as the daily express for ramping things up.As far as im concerned there a disgrace RANT OVER lol

Yep terrible forecast, currently thunderstorms rumbling across Cornwall and a line just south of Exeter. 

The yellow warning is clearly positioned over Devon and Cornwall.

So, how is this wrong  :nonono:

The constant Metoffice bashing on here is seriously peeing me off.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted

Yep terrible forecast, currently thunderstorms rumbling across Cornwall and a line just south of Exeter. 

The yellow warning is clearly positioned over Devon and Cornwall.

So, how is this wrong  :nonono:

The constant Metoffice bashing on here is seriously peeing me off.

Sorry mate but this is the rant thread i appologise futher if u work for them

Edited by ncikos

Posted

But you had almost 2 inches of rain and many thunderstorms in your area did you not?