Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

No storms, hate storms - post your storm related moans and groans here.

Paul

Posted

Still no thunderstorm in Leeds - but I knew I wouldn't get one, so I'm not too disappointed. I knew better than to waste my time on here hoping I would get one.

I'm gonna follow your lead. Like I said before, the best (and these days it seems the only) storms come unannounced and from 'nowhere'. Whenever they're forecast and over-hyped, forget it.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

So that supercell is now dying then as it approaches. Couldn't make it up! Not seen hardly any lightning at all, only a few rumbles.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I'm gonna follow your lead. Like I said before, the best (and these days it seems the only) storms come unannounced and from 'nowhere'. Whenever they're forecast and over-hyped, forget it.

Exactly. Our only proper storm last year came completely unannounced at night - that amber warning from the Met Office is the kiss of death. Always.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstoms cant remember what one is tho!

Well the Telford storm shield was fully powered up no storms pretty disappointed!

Posted

Yup another complete fail here, really seemed to have the makings of a classic event but once again the shield seen to giving a bland fest of moderate rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Very mixed feelings about this plume event. On one hand the completely unexpected but stunning light show from 2 big storms overnight on Thu into Fri was a delight and I'm very grateful to have watched it. Also the warmth and sun we've been having lately, lovely. Plus the forecast for a good week ahead looks absolutely fantastic! On the other hand...no storms since Thu night, despite the ridiculous overhyping on here and many other sources including the MetO. Watching massive storms develop over France and failing to cross the Channel yet again is incredibly frustrating! So, a return to 80s-90s style storms it ain't by a long shot but saying that, the Thu nights storms were the best for years here.

Posted

No storm in Leeds but in morley we had a small storm at around 5pm few rumbles of thunder and a flash of lighting

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Well what an absolute load of crud this has been for almost everyone in the Northwest! I think everyone in the NW should plan a trip to tornado alley for next year...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Well what an absolute load of crud this has been for almost everyone in the Northwest! I think everyone in the NW should plan a trip to tornado alley for next year...

I dont think the Isle of Man ever looked at great risk tbh! I think the models have done a fantastic job here anyway, doing very well last night and today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

I dont think the Isle of Man ever looked at great risk tbh! I think the models have done a fantastic job here anyway, doing very well last night and today.

Hmm, the models showed the east coast of here to do very well up until yesterday morning where it all fell flat on its face. With the exception of a few (big.. okay) storms across the centre of the country and that Kent Clipper I feel that yesterday was completely over emphasised. I was expecting so much more of a display, even if it was only on radar!

Glad you got your fix anyway! :D

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Still nah storms, this is getting frustrating 

Posted

It looks as though the areas that have virtually missed out this year in the NW so far got any storms that did happen around here whilst others missed out. Don't forget you had some cracking storms whilst the Greater Manchester area got nothing earlier in the year. This time Greater Manchester area got a storm.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Thought might of been lucky as it got cloudy and dark, but alas the bedford shield was in full effect. Nothing for today, either. oh well

• Like 1

Posted

'Stormy Saturday'   hoho   was a massively overhyped event in the NW , the local beeb forcasters where especially  annoying,  they where still going on about TORRential downpours, frequent lightning, hail gusty winds, DONT TRAVEL IF YOU DONT HAVE TOO     aRHHHHHH shut the ***** up     we all knew it was turning into an overcast  drizzle fest  

Edited by IanR
  • Like 3

Posted

'Stormy Saturday'   hoho   was a massively overhyped event in the NW , the local beeb forcasters where especially  annoying,  they where still going on about TORRential downpours, frequent lightning, hail gusty winds, DONT TRAVEL IF YOU DONT HAVE TOO     aRHHHHHH shut the ***** up     we all knew it was turning into an overcast  drizzle fest  

We had drizzle in the morning, a cloudy but dry afternoon, a feeble shower which passed to my east and then a sunny evening. Almost as far from the forecast as possible, especially given the certainty they exhibited and the unrelenting plethora of warnings etc. I don't think they are fit for purpose. And before anyone reminds me of how difficult these things are to forecast, then maybe they should have been far less emphatic and go away until things have improved suffiently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

We had drizzle in the morning, a cloudy but dry afternoon, a feeble shower which passed to my east and then a sunny evening. Almost as far from the forecast as possible, especially given the certainty they exhibited and the unrelenting plethora of warnings etc. I don't think they are fit for purpose. And before anyone reminds me of how difficult these things are to forecast, then maybe they should have been far less emphatic and go away until things have improved suffiently.

Damned if they do, damned if they do not.  At the end of the day they are offering advice and this is not being forced on anyone.  Lets take the situation in Italy where the scientists were jailed over earthquake prediction, such science is not easy, if it was everyone would be out there doing it.

• Like 1

Posted

Damned if they do, damned if they do not.  At the end of the day they are offering advice and this is not being forced on anyone.  Lets take the situation in Italy where the scientists were jailed over earthquake prediction, such science is not easy, if it was everyone would be out there doing it.

Yes it's better to err on the side of caution but seriously, the way they came over you'd expect an Ark to be at hand on every street. Completely and totally OTT.

• Like 2

Posted

Yes it's better to err on the side of caution but seriously, the way they came over you'd expect an Ark to be at hand on every street. Completely and totally OTT.

I see your point, but what if they were right?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

The lack of storms in my area is really annoying me. Loads of activity to the east and south of me, but as always it looks like missing my location. Same story as Friday. 

Posted

Ah but they were largely wrong - should stop crying wolf so often!

That is why I mentioned the Italy/earthquake scenario, they were accused of crying wolf and on that time said, no it would be fine, it was not and they got thrown into jail for that.  I can see why such "forecasters" would err on the side of caution, you can get it right many times, but get it wrong once? (think there is a saying linked to war there?)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

No storms forecast, we have thunder here. :clapping: Went too quick mind.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I don't think the Met Office warnings were unwarranted- some parts of the British Isles, especially the south of England, have seen some pretty severe thunderstorms over the last few days and there have typically been around 30,000 lightning strikes per day.  Convective precipitation, of the sort that comes from cumulus and cumulonimbus clouds and is capable of producing thunderstorms, tends to consist of scattered cells (hence "hit and miss") and so even in the severest events it is normal that some parts of the country largely miss out.

Even when thunderstorms occur along a frontal system, the thunderstorms tend to be hit-and-miss because they still rely upon there being a significant convective element to the system (cumulonimbus cells embedded within the frontal system alongside the stratiform cloud giving the frontal precipitation) and so while the rainfall might be quite uniform over a large area, the associated thundery activity still tends to vary considerably in severity from one county to the next.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers