Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What temps are your 'too hot' and 'too cold'?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cloudy in summer, sunny in winter.

Ther's no escaping it; I'll be finding it impossible to sleep during the day cos' I'm on nights, most others won't be able to sleep at night 'cos of the heat accumulated during the day and concentrated in the highest point of the house... It's a lose/lose situation, remedied only by the rapid onset of Autumn. Gah!!

the most pleasant period is actually daytime morning, especially if facing west.  Here its cooler at 9am than it is 3am.

Somehow i am falling asleep and managing it, this year I have been wearing thin tshirts to bed instead of nothing and I find it helps a lot, the tshirt absorbs the sweat which is preferable to bed sheeting/matress/pillows etc. absorbing it.  Although I am going through about 10-20 tshirts a week.

• Like 1

Posted

the most pleasant period is actually daytime morning, especially if facing west.  Here its cooler at 9am than it is 3am.

Somehow i am falling asleep and managing it, this year I have been wearing thin tshirts to bed instead of nothing and I find it helps a lot, the tshirt absorbs the sweat which is preferable to bed sheeting/matress/pillows etc. absorbing it.  Although I am going through about 10-20 tshirts a week.

Working nights I get to see the most spectacular sunrises, but once it's reached a certain elevation and the temperature responds, the day is all downhill from there. Sleeping during the day in this heat and light has been hellish. Folk who claim they would enjoy 50C are obviously suffering from a touch of sunstroke and are talking complete, undiluted cobblers.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Working nights I get to see the most spectacular sunrises, but once it's reached a certain elevation and the temperature responds, the day is all downhill from there. Sleeping during the day in this heat and light has been hellish. Folk who claim they would enjoy 50C are obviously suffering from a touch of sunstroke and are talking complete, undiluted cobblers.

I really do pity those having to do night shifts in this weather. If I get into the career I want then night shifts will be part and parcel of it. Sleeping during the day at the moment must be absolute hell.

And I think just out of curiosity many people would like to experience 50c. But I have experienced 45c before, and had to walk a mile to a lecture in it - trust me, even the most hardened heat-lover would struggle. It's not just unpleasant, that level of heat is extremely dangerous if you're not careful.

• Like 3

Posted

I really do pity those having to do night shifts in this weather. If I get into the career I want then night shifts will be part and parcel of it. Sleeping during the day at the moment must be absolute hell.

And I think just out of curiosity many people would like to experience 50c. But I have experienced 45c before, and had to walk a mile to a lecture in it - trust me, even the most hardened heat-lover would struggle. It's not just unpleasant, that level of heat is extremely dangerous if you're not careful.

It has to be all about the novelty factor - 'been there, done that'. I'm a hardened coldie but wouldn't want more than a fleeting glimpse of -50C... a constant -10C will do just fine! As for sleeping, well I went to bed at 0830 after last night's shift (finished at 0615) and have been awake for the last hour, courtesy of the heat. Anyone care to hazard a guess as to how utterly wretched I'm feeling right now?

Posted

It has to be all about the novelty factor - 'been there, done that'. I'm a hardened coldie but wouldn't want more than a fleeting glimpse of -50C... a constant -10C will do just fine! As for sleeping, well I went to bed at 0830 after last night's shift (finished at 0615) and have been awake for the last hour, courtesy of the heat. Anyone care to hazard a guess as to how utterly wretched I'm feeling right now?

I think I might have an idea having worked shifts fpr 40 years. it's a nightmare trying to kip after a night shift in hot weather. The only upside it's cooler when your working.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The past few days, that's what's too hot. Thankfully the end is nigh

Today, tomorrow, lovely

Posted ImagePosted Image

That second one looks lovely! Plenty warm enough to do things outside without the discomfort that goes with the current weather. And we will be able to sleep with ease once again.

• Like 2

Posted

yes been there done that, not pleasant.

But we are all different so what is great for one, be it heat or cold, extremes etc, is not for another. We simply have to accept the fact that we are all different, thank goodness, and preserve a respect for the views of others.

• Like 1

Posted

I start to feel a little uncomfortable above 30°C, but that's only if I'm walking for long distances. I'll generally need a hoodie once the temperature drops below 20°C, and I have to have a coat at 10°C, or a few degrees above that.

Edited by Static Prevails

Posted

I'm actually pretty good at dealing with "extreme" temperatures, even when out working in the elements and not just sat in the shade. I've worked in at least 30C (in direct sunlight) at times and while it's uncomfortable, it's still tolerable. This week hasn't been nice for me (while working) but it's nothing I can't handle. I've also worked in temperatures as low as -15C and I didn't find it too bad at all. On balance id probably rather work in the cold than the heat.

Too hot to be comfortable for me would probably be around the 30C mark, too hot to tolerate would probably be pushing 40C or above, or high humidity at a lower temperature.

Don't think I've yet experienced "too cold".

Posted

people seem think they can deal with cold weather better than they can with hot weather, i bet come winter it will be the other way round, personally i hate heat, but i don't enjoy cold weather either, i want cold weather in winter cos without cold we can't get snow, if it could snow at 12c that would be perfect

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 3

I'd definately prefer 50C in bright sunshine than 10C in freezing cold drizzle.

experienced temps of 50 c in death valley ,along with the wind and dust that makes your nose bleed , not something I'd want to spend anymore time in than nessary !!.... Edited by Mokidugway
  • Like 2

Posted

yes been there done that, not pleasant.

But we are all different so what is great for one, be it heat or cold, extremes etc, is not for another. We simply have to accept the fact that we are all different, thank goodness, and preserve a respect for the views of others.

Anyone who claims that they'd enjoy temps of 50C let alone survive it for any appreciable length of time, are clearly on a massive wind-up and undeserving of respect - only ridicule.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

people seem think they can deal with cold weather better than they can with hot weather, i bet come winter it will be the other way round, personally i hate heat, but i don't enjoy cold weather either, i want cold weather in winter cos without cold we can't get snow, if it could snow at 12c that would be perfect

but then snow would not be a novelty

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I do find that cold is easier to cope with (as long as you have cover and heat) than hot weather, you can only shed so many coats but easier to put them on.

• Like 1

experienced temps of 50 c in death valley ,along with the wind and dust that makes your nose bleed , not something I'd want to spend anymore time in than nessary !!....

forgot to say ill be back there in a months time ,must be a glutton for punishment !!...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Out of both - hot or cold, I think I generally find myself preferring the colder temperatures. In fact, if it wasn't for the fact that hot temperatures provide a challenge to sleep easily at night (unless, I suppose, the humidity brought with it was so low), then it would more likely to be a draw. 

In summer, the maximum temperature I could put up with would likely be no higher than 35*C. And even then, I could probably only put up with this for no more than three to five days per Summer. I have never experienced anything higher than 35 or 36*C in my lifetime so far. On one of the times a temperature like this was reached (July 2006 I think it was), I was outside at the time, but seemed to find this kind of temperature okay to put up with from what I remember. As such, I wouldn't mind experiencing just the odd day of 40*C (despite saying the maximum temperature I could put with would be no higher than 35*C) - just to see what it's really like. But otherwise, that would just seem too hot for me. I do enjoy the Summery-feel hot temperatures can bring, plus the way they can aid some spectacular thundery breakdowns - providing the set-up is right! However, temperatures closer to 30*C is more of my thing when it comes to hot temperatures being just that little bit more comfortable. 

In Winter, I could put up with long periods of cold temperatures around the region of -2*C to 4*C. That range is my most my ideal regarding the cold temperatures. Admittedly, most of this is due to the fact they're, on the whole, suitable temperatures to support a wintry mix of weather. Experiencing a fair number of days where temperatures also get to around -2*C to -7*C I would probably feel alright about, too. But if it's like that too frequently, I think it would just test my patience and would want some less-cold (perhaps even mild) conditions to come back in. Not that keen on rain during the Winter months, but I could tolerate a few breaks between periods of freezing weather, providing the milder temperatures don't bring about much rainy weather. The coldest I would go to would likely be -20*C. And something to avoid experiencing often. I'm not confident I could handle anything colder, and I know this is probably a lazy excuse, but the extra effort to try and stay warm - getting electric/gas fires going, keeping the house warm via central heating, the thought of (possibly) constantly shivering and/or getting a bad cold -  would curb my enthusiasm to experience severe polar bear type conditions. 

Just thinking about it, the one personal advantage of experiencing something like 35*C, over something like -20*C, is simply because you're extremely unlikely to shiver or tremble at 35*C. Having said that, I would more likely to choose -20*C during an overnight period due to not having to worry about becoming all sticky and sweaty. Clearly, wrapping up warm and not leaving windows open would be vital as you would probably then freeze up like a *Twister! [*the ice-lolly that is ;-)]  

Edited by DiagonalRedLine

Posted

I've been in 38C, 100% humidity, no wind and summer solstice sun in Florida, which is virtually directly overhead, before. Considering that 50C almost exclusively occurs in deserts where the humidity is less than 10%, it can't really be much worse than my Florida experience.

Well in that case your dissipation of metabolic heat would be impossible.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Some of these comments make me laugh so much I think I am watching harry enfield!..I mean as if you can stand temps of 50 deg or -50 deg and be comfy ....for one it all depends what you are doing and other factors such as wind and rain.I have worked out on the farm at 365 metres in the winter of 1986 and have cried because of the cold....do you know what it is like to do a job where you have to spend half your time trying to keep your hands warm on jobs where you cannot wear gloves,where you have to wear a balaclava or your nose will drop off ,when your clothes get wet then freeze...when you put waterproofs on to stop the wind and end up sweating that freezes....yes it does not have to be -50 to be cold .As for heat I think it is much easier so long as you have cover for your head to keep off sunstroke and have water you can do lots of manual work in very hot temps once you get used to it....I mean you can run the marathon in death valley!!!........sorry unless you are one of those guys that cannot cope with temps above 5 deg!!!

Posted

Some of these comments make me laugh so much I think I am watching harry enfield!..I mean as if you can stand temps of 50 deg or -50 deg and be comfy ....for one it all depends what you are doing and other factors such as wind and rain.I have worked out on the farm at 365 metres in the winter of 1986 and have cried because of the cold....do you know what it is like to do a job where you have to spend half your time trying to keep your hands warm on jobs where you cannot wear gloves,where you have to wear a balaclava or your nose will drop off ,when your clothes get wet then freeze...when you put waterproofs on to stop the wind and end up sweating that freezes....yes it does not have to be -50 to be cold .As for heat I think it is much easier so long as you have cover for your head to keep off sunstroke and have water you can do lots of manual work in very hot temps once you get used to it....I mean you can run the marathon in death valley!!!........sorry unless you are one of those guys that cannot cope with temps above 5 deg!!!

Actually I do. You can't deliver post with gloves on, without great difficulty at least. I agree that those 1-4C wet and windy days are far worse than much colder but dry/calm days. The Hattersley estate in mid January on giro cheque day can be a pretty hostile, and I'm not only talking about the weather in its semi-moorland location...

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

yeah from about 11am onwards it is noticebly warming up and by the time its about 1-2pm its usually unbearable. Up until about 2-3 in the morning.  Temperatures seem to bottom out about 4am but 9am always feels more pleasant than 3am for some reason.

Sometimes I do wonder if people are trolling on some forums people keep calling hot sticky humid weather "pleasant".  Then on here people stating they want 50C, it cannot be real.

• Like 2

Posted

Actually its the other way round.  To deal with the cold one puts layers of clothes on, and working warms you up.

In the heat its a hell of a lot harder to cool down, especially when outside in the sunlight, and if you working it makes it worse as it will generate sweat.

For me ideal temp is probably about 5-15C I find 15-22C or so tolerable.  I usually dont need central heating unless its cold enough to snow.  Which is why I laughed last year when people had it on in september in a warm summer period, and someone on another forum said their central heating was on in june, bonkers.  They have it set to switch on when room temp is below 20C O_o

• Like 2