Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What temps are your 'too hot' and 'too cold'?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Max can be up to 30c as i love the feel of heat, but that is if im doing non strenuous activity. The highest temp i have experienced is 32c in 2011 and i dont recall feeling uncomfortable. As for cold, 2c and a biting easterly like Feb/March 2013 felt horrible. It just cuts right through you. But on a still calm frosty night it can do down to about -10c before it gets uncomfortable. Anything less than that is pointless.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I get the impression that many that enjoy the extremes in temps high or low do not have to work out in it for great lengths of time for a living.  Happy to be proven wrong there though.

Posted

I get the impression that many that enjoy the extremes in temps high or low do not have to work out in it for great lengths of time for a living.  Happy to be proven wrong there though.

You're probably right. I love the cold but would buckle if I had to be out in it for too long. The thing is, you can look forward to getting warmed up afterwards, whereas the heat is damn near inescapable. And don't even mention the light...

• Like 2

Posted

Wouldn't mind trying a 50C+ to see what all the fuss is about? Shade temp remember..

You'd be so dead you'd not be able to remember...

• Like 2

Posted

You're probably right. I love the cold but would buckle if I had to be out in it for too long. The thing is, you can look forward to getting warmed up afterwards, whereas the heat is damn near inescapable. And don't even mention the light...

A few years ago I worked in a factory making boots and shoes, conditions were like they are now, the factory was an old building, I was younger then but even I was flagging in the heat, I suggested that instead of working 08:00-17:00 with an hour lunch why not do 06:00-14:30, halve the lunch break and lets get the day done sooner rather than later.

Was adopted in full favour and made our life easier (and we kept the shorter lunch break so the week ended later in the year mid Friday afternoon instead of at 17:00 or there abouts until the factory closed for good)

Done stints on farms too, whilst good weather is needed the extreme levels can be awful to work in.

• Like 1

Posted

A few years ago I worked in a factory making boots and shoes, conditions were like they are now, the factory was an old building, I was younger then but even I was flagging in the heat, I suggested that instead of working 08:00-17:00 with an hour lunch why not do 06:00-14:30, halve the lunch break and lets get the day done sooner rather than later.

I'm on nights this coming week (12hr ones at that) and there's no way I can wriggle out of it without phoning in sick, but that's not my style. Normally prefer nights but how the hell I'm gonna get any kip during the day with the projected temps is anyone's guess.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm on nights this coming week (12hr ones at that) and there's no way I can wriggle out of it without phoning in sick, but that's not my style. Normally prefer nights but how the hell I'm gonna get any kip during the day with the projected temps is anyone's guess.

I hear you, my scenario was from when we had lots of factories in town, they only worked days unless a special reason and they were rare as most were in residential areas so could not work late/night time.

I am lucky as I do shifts but have managed to get them fixed to early start hours as it suits the team/dept/company I work for at present.

• Like 1

Posted

In car temps can often reach 50C during hot days?

That's why dogs are occasionally found dead in them when their dozy owner has forgot to leave a window open.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I find it hotter at night than during the day, going to be horrendous for non summer fans in the south like me, 30°C on thurs and fri

• Like 1

Posted

I find it hotter at night than during the day, going to be horrendous for non summer fans in the south like me, 30°C on thurs and fri

Ther's no escaping it; I'll be finding it impossible to sleep during the day cos' I'm on nights, most others won't be able to sleep at night 'cos of the heat accumulated during the day and concentrated in the highest point of the house... It's a lose/lose situation, remedied only by the rapid onset of Autumn. Gah!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Ther's no escaping it; I'll be finding it impossible to sleep during the day cos' I'm on nights, most others won't be able to sleep at night 'cos of the heat accumulated during the day and concentrated in the highest point of the house... It's a lose/lose situation, remedied only by the rapid onset of Autumn. Gah!!

Sympathys there for all you sufferers but I for one will be sleeping,there are lots of things you can do if it is too hot or too light.First put another sheet over your curtains[it doesn't bother me just the other half tells me to sort it] so that it is dark,keep your windows open during day so heat doesn't build up or use a fan.Put your mattress on the floor,it makes a lot of difference or even sleep downstairs.If all else fails buy a air conditioning unit,they are not that expensive,my mate has one and everyone abroad has one!!!

• Like 1

Posted

That's why dogs are occasionally found dead in them when their dozy owner has forgot to leave a window open.

At a recent heavy horse show and steam rally they would put put out over the main PA the make/model/colour and reg of a car found locked with dogs in them and were not afraid to say that the owners had 5 minutes to return and free the dogs or they would.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

No! The cockroaches will get me!

You don't tend to get cockroaches in this country unless the conditions are dirty!

Posted

You don't tend to get cockroaches in this country unless the conditions are dirty!

Ha! My drum does occasionally get out of hand. Once had one fall out of a consignment of exotic wood at work. Damn thing was like a coaster with legs.

Posted

just had another shower after getting back home all hot and sweaty, even at 7pm the car was like an oven, its a myth when people think 1pm is much hotter than evenings, autumn and winter feel as far away as ever

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

For me it depends what I'm doing and where.

Abroad I can tolerate heat up to 40C, after that it becomes a little draining. In this country, due to the humidity that often comes with heat, anything above 35C is a little uncomfortable but again dependent on what I'm doing. 32C in London on Friday was quite enough rushing around in a suit.

Equally, I don't think I've felt too cold as there's always the warm-up via lots of clothing as an option. I think accompanying wind is what makes it most unpleasant - the easterly in early December 2010 was absolutely frigid when I was in Egham but the temperature was still +1C. However the -10C I then experienced in Bristol was absolutely fine as it was a millpond. 

I have quite a broad tolerance for temperature. I'm more affected by sunshine amounts and types of rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

In this country with the high humidity 28-30c+- whereas abroad for instance when I lived in Melbourne I would say high 30s+ as it's a nice dry heat when it dropped to 19c I remember people wearing scarfs where as here 19c is a typical early summers day.

In summer below 20/21cc and I can't wear shorts if out in evening.

In the winter I'd say below 4/5c starts to get cold but it depends how long it's been at that temp for. 5c feels mild if we've had a week of 0-2c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

The highest temp I've been in is 29C right here last year as I'm yet to step foot on a plane and go abroad. I would like to see what 45C-55C+ feels like to find 'too hot' mode but I do expect that to be quite a challenge. Now, regarding cold, Ive not found 'too cold' mode since the lowest temperature I've been in is around -11C-ish in 2010.

Posted

there is, go on holiday to Lerwick it's lovely there at this time of the year, Autumn is a long long way off 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Being abroad is quite different I find, normally people are lounging about by a pool/sea etc. I've been in 45c with humidity around 60% and it was only tolerable due to the sea and pools being frequently used.

Even in te evenings playing table tennis was like running 10 miles. Drenched by the time you finished.

So upto 45c is tolerable if by pool/beach etc but I prefer 30-35 as evenings are just great (best bit about the heat for me). Went to Italy last September and it was dark by 6/7 I think and that made it fantastic for having a meal

outside in. Temps about 27-30c

Anything over 30c in the UK is usually a little unpleasant.

I've been in -28c in the Alps and it wasn't that bad really. Especially in any sunshine.

Whereas, -16 in December 2010 was pretty cold.

Rain is the real killer. 3c raining hard... Once that gets through the top layer into your jumper etc and soaks it then your frozen. -3c and snowing and you'd have no such problem

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny

I spent 10 years working in pottery factory emptying kilns sometimes which were still red hot, wasn't much fun going in on 2-10 shift but still thought a good summer was worth it, was there in 95 and loved the 6-2 shift as was cooler in morning then went fishing most afternoons,

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cloudy in summer, sunny in winter.

I'd definately prefer 50C in bright sunshine than 10C in freezing cold drizzle.

50C would kill you.

10C isnt freezing cold. Its just chilly. ;)

• Like 2

Posted

50C would kill you.

10C isnt freezing cold. Its just chilly. ;)

10c would be classed a mild in december or january,   50c sounds like hell to me 

• Like 1