Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What temps are your 'too hot' and 'too cold'?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Seeing as people keep mentioning being too hot I thought we could consolidate it all in one place.

What temps in C (or feels like)/conditions are too hot and cold for you without modern day technology to keep things ambient?

Personally, for me, when temps start to get into the high 20's/low 30's I tend to get uncomfortable, but I'd say too hot comes at around 34-35C. Luckily I'm normally on holiday when I experience such temps so I can just jump in the sea or pool to cool off.

Uncomfortable cold for me comes at around 5C and below but too cold is -2 downwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

25C upwards is too hot for me.

In terms of cold - I have yet to reach a too cold threshold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

30C+ for me I would say I start to get too uncomfortable but I can't say I either have reached a temperature that is too cold for me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Mid to high teens for me anything more or less is beyond my comfort zone.

For the record many hotels/motels IIRC fix the ambient temp at 18oC and 21oC is considered the home comfort point in studies.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Anything above 17c is too hot in Summer, particularly if the sun is out. 10-15c is ideal.

I suspect this country's climate is incapable of coming anywhere near my 'too cold' threshold.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Too hot is 20+...I suppose I just can't tolerate warmth!Too cold...I've not experienced too cold. :)

Edited by simshady

Posted

I'm actually quite tolerant of moderate warmth outdoors, but its the baking oven that my house becomes that is the issue for me. When on holiday for example, spending all day in 25-30C isn't an issue as there's a lovely air conditioned room to go back to, however in this country my circumstances are terrible for enduring heat.

First off, I do a mixture of 12hr day and night shifts (mostly nights at the moment unfortunately). The issue is two fold:

On days I have to be in bed at 10pm as I'm up at 4.45am. This means I only have a few hours in the evening to cool down the house and then have to close the windows as Im a light sleeper and people are often still 'active' outdoors then.

On nights the windows are closed all night as I'm not here and then it heats up even more as I (attempt) to sleep during the day. What ensues is a gradual feeling of crapness as I get more and more into a sleep debt.

I'm considering buying a fixed air conditioning system as I think it'll make my life much easier. For the record I enjoyed July 2006 which is about as hot as it gets here, but then I wasn't working these shifts then.

• Like 1

Posted

for me it depends on what I am doing! If I am just going about my every day business then im ok up to about 23c I would say, can manage ok in mid 20's but 26c above would generally be too hot. If I am doing something more active like mowing the lawn the the mid teens would be nice. Also depends on the type of weather, if there is a nice breeze then I can tolerate warmer temps. I live smack bang in the middle of central England which is pretty nasty on hot summers days, humid and sticky, no wind and warm overnight, its actually the overnight temperatures that I dislike more than the daytime.

As others have said, the cold temperatures are not so much of a problem, decent clothing should always be good enough to keep you warm in this country.

• Like 1

Posted

i used to love heat i could stay in the sun for hours and not need a drink, then suddenly last summer i hated the heat, hated sweating and had low energy levels, im not even old so i have no idea what's wrong with me, also getting into my baking hot car is horrible and i usually have the air con on even if it's only 20c, im more tolerant to cold weather but if im sitting down for too long i get cold

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

38-39C upwards is too hot for me, below 22C is too cold in summer if cloudy with a wind, below 18C if sunny/calm, haven't exprienced below -7 but I would imagine I would feel too cold with only one coat below -9.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

I generally find around 30'C or so to be perfect with relatively low humidity. I've experienced -20'C a fair few times and -40'C windchill in the Cairngorms and would say that was probably well outwith my comfort zone 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Above 35C is too hot, but it is rare in the UK and I always welcome heat here. I would take a freak Moscow 2010 style July with a 35C average high here over our poor 24C average highs anyday.

Below 10C is too cold for me.

Below 5C is just horrible.. 

Edited by robthefool

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

My "too hot" threshold is typically 30C plus or minus a few degrees, depending on other factors such as air quality and humidity and the amount of physical activity that I am doing. 

I don't think I have a definite "too cold" threshold as it varies more significantly according to wind chill than the ambient air temperature.  I recall coping fine in temperatures close to -10C and calm conditions, and struggling in temperatures of 5C with drizzle and a biting easterly wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Well when I travelled through Europe last year, we hit 40 degrees in Salzburg. I did not actually find it that bad until the late afternoon when humidity rose. That was then too unbearable....

So for me, I can cope with temps sort of around 30-32 as long as the humidity is not too high. Any higher and it starts getting too sweaty for my liking and it drains all my energy.

For coldness...I would say -10 or so until it becomes too bitter without covering my face. Also depends on the wind chill.

Edited by Chris K

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Too hot was probably 38C, 100% humidity, no wind and summer solstice sunshine in Florida. Only just too hot though. I've yet to experience too cold yet.

I think you'd be in danger of drowning...

For me 28C and high humidity, or high 30's with low humidity would become unpleasant.

Cold. I don't suffer per se with it, although if it was seriously cold then it'd be hard to avoid. I suppose it depends how I'm dressed - I've been comfortable in -33C temperatures, with no wind, but properly dressed.

Edited by Steve C

Posted

For myself, other factors need to be considered such as humidity and wind.

For instance 2C and 30mph gusts can feel perishing compared to -6C and no wind. I noticed this during December 2010. Christmas Eve 2010 didn't feel cold despite it was. There was no wind and it was sunny.

Also during August 2004, one Sunday during the day it was 29C but breezy and it felt comfortable but during the night the humidity had shot up, the wind drop and it felt stifling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

35C is probably my max but depends on the humidity. If I'm on a beach on holiday, it can get as hot as it likes. 

I've been in a blast freezer at -45C. Trust me, that's too cold for anyone.

About 20c with high humidity or 25c with low humidity is getting uncomfortable. Too cold, don't think there's such a thing at least in this country. Just put on more clothes.

Edited by Bobby
  • Like 1

Posted

Anything over around 16C is unnecessary and uncomfortable. Today is a sick joke - even the summer nuts at work are grumbling about it and how sapped of energy they feel.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Anything over around 16C is unnecessary and uncomfortable. Today is a sick joke - even the summer nuts at work are grumbling about it and how sapped of energy they feel.

Lol! What is your house heated to in winter, then? I wouldn't want to visit it unless I had a coat and gloves on, by the sounds of it!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Mid to high 20s, depending on the humidity, is generally my upper limit for comfort, a few degrees lower if I have to do anything physically exerting. But it's the warmth in the evenings that gets me, horrible to sleep in and few ways of escaping it. Anything over 18C at night is too much for sleeping (but great for beer gardens!).

Like others, I've yet to experience conditions I thought of as too cold. But pipes freezing and a bruised a**e from slipping on the ice can be bothersome.

• Like 1

Posted

Lol! What is your house heated to in winter, then? I wouldn't want to visit it unless I had a coat and gloves on, by the sounds of it!

It's set at 18C from roughly late Nov - March, but that's only cos' of the incessant wailing and moaning I'd have to endure if it wasn't. If I lived alone it would never be on, and that's a fact.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I imagine you as those guys you always see in shorts, whatever the weather, laserguy.