Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The No Storms Club July 2014 Onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Well folks, it looks like I'm out of this club. Just had the most the most amazing thunderstorm possible. It would certainly challenge the beasts that are produced in the USA for insanity. It put out 75mm of rain in 30 mins, lightning flashes every 5 seconds for at least half hour, even hail the size of a 50p coin came down in bucket loads. Can't mother nature be so unpredictable at times, not even the computers managed to predict this.  Unbelievable, Jeff.

Looks like I'm in this club for the long-haul.

Woo. Good job there's plenty of company lol 

Edited by tomp456

Posted

yup the long haul here too,   like I stated at the start of the year I had a bad feeling this would be the worst in living memory for any thunder , and my fears are materialising   I am now going to predict there will be no storms in this location at all this year :lazy: ,   please dont say i am talking rubbish, the odds are on my side to be right  :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

roughly 3 weeks till i can say i was thunder free for a year, quite an anniversary.

• Like 2

Posted

I'm in. Heard one clap of thunder since a rather impressive storm back in October I think it was and that clap of thunder was at my work In Basingstoke rather than home in Whitchurch.

Truly has been the most boring year for weather I can remember. Haven't even seen any decent convection apart from one day, we had some squally April showers (last month)

Gone are the days of rock-solid cauliflower convection:(

Last plume that delivered from memory was July 2007 and that wasn't even that great. Little did I know back then that I wouldn't see another one for the next 8 years at least.

• Like 1

Posted

Ho hum MK gets a small storm and i just get O bit O rain ho hum. The sun  is now out.

HO HUM.

Posted

We were the breeding ground for a thundery shower, that gave some strikes further East, but no thunder heard here so far this spring/summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: early spring, warm summers and cold winters

My Jack Russell is 15 tomorrow and for 13 of those years he had been a complete nightmare if we have any thunder or lightning, to the point where we have had to drive him off in the car to get away from it as he is having a doggy equivalent of a panic attack.  As a absolute storm-lover it has always been hard as I am desperate for a good storm but know it will upset my lad.  He has been deaf for the last two years now and not a sniff of good humdinger of a storm, bl**dy typical!

Posted

it was all about the usual places again lincs, east mids, etc and even here only isolated thundery showers     :lazy:

storm drought goes on for most

Light storms seem to skirt round the M25 And before they reached South London and Gatwick then they loss their intensity. Not that they were that intense anyway..... 2 half decent storms in 2 and a half years now. Longest drought I have known and I've been obsessed with storms all my life. I think it is just a phase and fortunes will change soon :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Let-down No.3 in this EXTREMELY BORING MONTH. Filthy humid evening and unpleasant to work in.

Gnawing headache all evening now worsening with accompanying nausea courtesy of this humid thunder-less muck. Always seem to get headaches in this situation, less so if we get thunder. 

Brief period of heavy rain resulting in getting soaked (too warm to wear plastic impermeable wet weather gear they supply at work) and only 12 hours to dry this out before next shift - yet again nothing to show for it.

Thunder was 5-6 miles away, as usual. Working outdoors one would expect to hear even distant thunder. Never here in Guildford it seems - just irritating traffic noise and garbage music blasting from the open windows of cars. Normally, thunder should be loud enough to be heard over other noise (I have good hearing, good ear for sound & perfect pitch etc and can detect sound over sound etc).  

These let-downs seem to come every week on a Friday or Saturday. Will it be fourth week lucky next Saturday or will more atlantic dross kill off any other chances?  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Let-down No.3 in this EXTREMELY BORING MONTH. Filthy humid evening and unpleasant to work in.

Gnawing headache all evening now worsening with accompanying nausea courtesy of this humid thunder-less muck. Always seem to get headaches in this situation, less so if we get thunder.

Brief period of heavy rain resulting in getting soaked (too warm to wear plastic impermeable wet weather gear they supply at work) and only 12 hours to dry this out before next shift - yet again nothing to show for it.

Thunder was 5-6 miles away, as usual. Working outdoors one would expect to hear even distant thunder. Never here in Guildford it seems - just irritating traffic noise and garbage music blasting from the open windows of cars. Normally, thunder should be loud enough to be heard over other noise (I have good hearing, good ear for sound & perfect pitch etc and can detect sound over sound etc).

These let-downs seem to come every week on a Friday or Saturday. Will it be fourth week lucky next Saturday or will more atlantic dross kill off any other chances?

Feel your pain. Went to Guildford today for a high up vista and the storm I was watching died on it's big bum before it got near Guildford. Apparently there was thunder nearby (two sferics) but I don't know quite where they were cos I heard and saw nothing.

Forecasts were pretty out today too - I guess this was all down to that stupid layer of cloud which didn't shift.

Always the case.

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Like 1

Posted

we were just outside the forecast area anyway, so didnt expect any thunder,  but thought , just might hear a couple of distant growls to the south  at some point, but with the wind being westerly , it was a no hoper here,    anything would have beeen pushed east before it could get going,   we need a sw, s or se airflow here, always have done,  very rarely we have had thunder move in from the west  in spring and summer, however it has happened before, 

Posted

perhaps i've got a humdinger coming, you know what they say about the best things?

Posted

it's sunny and windy. Clear above me, clouds all around.

Posted

SO...we have a hot spell coming up...

*checks the bar for ice*

• Like 1

Posted

quite possible some could be leaving us next week   , we will have to throw a farewell party for them :drunk:  ,  check the bar is stocked up 

Posted

This is true.  :drunk: cheers to the leavers!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Never seen this thread before :shok: can I join, even though I had a flash flood thunder storm with marble sized hail back in 1901? (2009 really) :oops: Just read the title of the thread 2014 onwards, so i qualify woohoo :yahoo: (Don't tell anyone  that I had two small thunderstorms in May) sssssssshhhhhhhhh!

Edited by lassie23

Posted

Never seen this thread before :shok: can I join, even though I had a flash flood thunder storm with marble sized hail back in 1901? (2009 really)

;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Next week is showing signs of one of the best and most sustained, significant plumes for many a year.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a significant majority of you will be spectacularly evicted from this hell hole :D

Posted

Next week is showing signs of one of the best and most sustained, significant plumes for many a year.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a significant majority of you will be spectacularly evicted from this hell hole :D

I'm sure if there can be a way for it to all go off without anything more than a band of drizzle on the cold front, we'll find it!

• Like 1

Posted

I'm sure if there can be a way for it to all go off without anything more than a band of drizzle on the cold front, we'll find it!

for here i bet anyway, watch further downgrades as the time gets nearer,