Sign in to follow this  
Jane Louise

Spanish plume anyone? Storm and convective discussion 17th July Onwards

Still not a sausage in Denby,Derbyshire!!.Edit at last my first flash and crash!!.At last to my SW.

5 good flashes so far with pretty loud thunder.....just amazed how quickly it developed...I was sat in the back garden with a cheeky cigarette scanning the skies for signs of lightning, and saw the faintest of flickers far to my south, then crash, bang, wallop....nearly fell out of my chair in shock and the mad scramble to get camcorder out!..........just popped inside now to check the radar, and it's all going off, big time plume destablization!.....storms firing in many places in the south with big, big storms firing over France heading our way!

Was it like the ""You're gonna need a bigger boat- Jaws scene?" ahah

Edited by Robbie Garrett

Just seen 3 cracking CG strikes far off in the distance, some intermittent faint flashing and 2 bright flashes through my bedroom window. Would these be the storms breaking out over Birmingham area I can see??

Convective rain shower here, large droplets! Shows how unstable the air is atm, hopefully it can develop further..

Its here :)

Ha ha .... nice one.

You do quite well over in Sutton for the storms don't you. Remember watching the big one. Was it last year?? Anyway, viewed from near here and the lightning looked spectacular

5 good flashes so far with pretty loud thunder.....just amazed how quickly it developed...I was sat in the back garden with a cheeky cigarette scanning the skies for signs of lightning, and saw the faintest of flickers far to my south, then crash, bang, wallop....nearly fell out of my chair in shock and the mad scramble to get camcorder out!..........just popped inside now to check the radar, and it's all going off, big time plume destablization!.....storms firing in many places in the south with big, big storms firing over France heading our way!

Yeah, this is a very big chunk we have now of potential storms for the next 24 hours. Loads yet to come tonight and could last all till about 7am ish. Then Meto plastering the thunderstorm symbols over us tomorrow afternoon!

Lol it was pretty lively in my part of Essex for a good 2 hours!

Same, twas like end of the world stuff as it approached haha

Was it like the ""You're gonna need a bigger boat- Jaws scene?" ahah

I couldn't have put it better myself Robbie!  :laugh:

it's quietened down again now, rain eased, so I'll pop outside to do some more spotting

Proper booming thunder, made me jump out of my skin!

No way that what i'm seeing is down Birmingham way, these IC flashes are too near and bright unless cloud tops really are 40kft. Had a flash a few secs ago that looked like it could have been around Stoke in realistic terms.

Seeing bright flashes lighting up the sky to the south west now. No audible thunder though.

think i'll watch the rouen webcam for a bit and then maybe get a few hours sleep (with shoes/camera nearby if neeeded)

Bournemouth Cam showing quite a bit of lightning, and as i'm typing, can here thunder outside here in Chesterfield

Estofex

If diurnal heating and/or the lift impulse by outflow boundaries suffice to break the capping inversion in these regions, particularly well-organized supercells could spawn a few tornadoes, possibly even including a strong one.

Ha ha .... nice one. You do quite well over in Sutton for the storms don't you. Remember watching the big one. Was it last year?? Anyway, viewed from near here and the lightning looked spectacular

yes we do fairly well :) last year we had a decent few but this year has been the most frequent for some time

No way that what i'm seeing is down Birmingham way, these IC flashes are too near and bright unless cloud tops really are 40kft. Had a flash a few secs ago that looked like it could have been around Stoke in realistic terms.

I assure you SN, there is absolutely NOTHING happening in the Stoke area lol!

Any chance of it getting going like lat night?

post-12495-0-64019200-1405666061_thumb.j

Grrr as with last night and every other night it all goes either side. Weymouth band has a definite NNE movement, even the rain is missing us!

I've virtually given up here in East Anglia. Had a few flashes and distant rumbling at 10PM and nothing since. 

Think tomorrow (or today) morning and into the afternoon is our best chance in the South East. 

Must be very loud thunder over the SW, I can hear it and im 50-60miles away!