Buckster, on 18 Jul 2014 - 21:46, said:

stunning lightning to the South

trying to capture as much with my G6 as possible - but difficult going

Saw a couple just now. :good:

Picture of yesterdays Storm over Canary Wharf 

Wish I wasn't in Leeds for the weekend and back in London  :sorry:

Posted Image

https://twitter.com/Barrowboy77/status/490031057207832576/photo/1

Arrgghhhh this is literally minutes walk from where I live, current scene on the southbank  :fool:

Posted Image

https://twitter.com/SeeWhyGardens

Edited by Cheese Rice

Well I think it's game over for westerners!

A little early to say that! The main area of interest hasn't even left the Bay of Biscay yet! Chin up folks!

Anyone in SW London or Central/Southern England? Some activity in the distance there.

Here not far from Northampton, skies looking very ready to go pop and see 1 lightning strike south of MK.

BINGO!!!! Lightning sighted miles to the north-west of here, just lit up the sky, I suspect around Aylesbury. Anyone over Milton Keynes, Northampton way, keep a lookout!!!

Aye been watching turkey towers and a couple of CB's to my SW as the sun was setting. Still 26.6'c outside here at the minute and it has that lovely smell to the air that normally accompanies convective rainfall.

Hmm... I hope the storm takes a slightly more westerly turn - Now its going North?

wind really got up here in Essex

downdrafts from approaching storms ?

Northampton seems to be breeding a few front runners!!

Skies up here have clouded over and taken on a really strange hue... Its getting wierd.. 

Raining now from mid layer cloud with lightning and thunder rolling to my south around leighton buzzard :D

A little early to say that! The main area of interest hasn't even left the Bay of Biscay yet! Chin up folks!

I hope so! We need something to blow up just to the north of Brest though! That will be a good sign! A few cells popped up earlier near Brest /north biscay but nothing firing so far

I hope so! We need something to blow up just to the north of Brest though! That will be a good sign! A few cells popped up earlier near Brest /north biscay but nothing firing so far

We won't see anything major until the early hours of the morning - 2am is a good guess I'd say, though I am sure there are more learned members of the site who could tell you more!

Still rumbling around here heavy rain too will post pics when I can figure out how to transfer from Samsung phone to Samsung tablet.

Oh wow this little cell is starting to go nuts and throw out lightning bolts all over the place, constant deep rolling thunder to my south. 6 storms in one day must be a record :D

For any storm haters out there, the storm passing through south Essex is mainly electrical with very little precipitation. The lightning is almost exclusively IC, meaning it's within the clouds and not the more dangerous CG, cloud to ground type that can cause damage and injury. This mornings storms however were a much different beast, nearly all CG and to be frank frightened the crap out of me!

Anyone in the Royston Herts area? Thinking of taking the car up on the Heath with the kids, but not sure they'll be anything for us to see in the near future?