Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spanish plume anyone? Storm and convective discussion 17th July Onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Been some activity to my West this evening but this seems to be dying out now. Shame, one last storm from this plume would have been a nice way to end the weekend.

Still really humid and muggy here: currently 18.3°C with a DP of 15.9°C.

Uncomfortable night ahead methinks.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

maybe more activity to come at the back end of the coming week? This is shaping up to be the best summer for thunderstorms I can remember since the summer of 81......and if that led into the same kind of winter.... :)

Edited by Timmytour
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Here's my video, hope you like it! 

One comment, don't edit footage to fit music track length.

edit the music, 2 minute video would have been stunning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Here is 4 screen grabs of a lowering of cloud that seemed ominous but I couldn't see any rotation so I guess it's a non-rotating wall cloud. It did get quite low and materialised as it intensifyed around us. Like most storms today it barely moved and seemed to just hang there.

The last shot is a lucky capture of a fork that I wasn't intending to get but I just happened to be filming the cloud movement at the time not long after the wall cloud. I was quite a way zoomed and I think it was most of the visible fork anyhow. The storm seemed lathargic to begin with but it slowly got some movement. Thunder was pretty loud unlike last night's thunder.

post-7331-0-79956200-1405888911_thumb.pn

post-7331-0-10924700-1405888929_thumb.pn

post-7331-0-14504700-1405888945_thumb.pn

post-7331-0-70274100-1405888960_thumb.pn

post-7331-0-25945000-1405889573_thumb.pn

• Like 8

Posted

Here is 4 screen grabs of a lowering of cloud that seemed ominous but I couldn't see any rotation so I guess it's a non-rotating wall cloud. It did get quite low and materialised as it intensifyed around us. Like most storms today it barely moved and seemed to just hang there.

The last shot is a lucky capture of a fork that I wasn't intending to get but I just happened to be filming the cloud movement at the time not long after the wall cloud. I was quite a way zoomed and I think it was most of the visible fork anyhow. The storm seemed lathargic to begin with but it slowly got some movement. Thunder was pretty loud unlike last night's thunder.

Nice shots those.

Saw the Storm develop over Norwich, surprisingly far East for a sea breeze convergence (although the set up further West as well later).  Didn't get as far North as me but the strikes around Reepham I heard loud and clear.  Kept looking in that direction, plenty of noise but no lightshow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Quick question - when was the last time we've had such a frequency of storms along the east coast and into SE parts? Appreciate other areas have had a fair few too, must've been easily a good few years since such a prolonged thundery spell for some.

Well me personally, the storms on Thursday night were about the best I've ever seen. Then again I'm only 21 so maybe someone older can remember many more storms. I seem to recall 2004 being quite stormy here. 2006, while it was very warm, had next to no storms due to the setup. Same can be said for 2013 respectively. 

Going past that I'd say you'd be looking at the nineties for more prolonged or intense storms, the 90's were great for that. 

Maybe someone will chime in and say I'm talking complete rubbish however. 

Edited by matty007

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

Nick you ought to be by Atherstone now lol! A5 quick :) it's a beast...

Storm moving through Coventry now.  Leading edge of the storm saw low level cloud fairly zipping along. Once it started to rain we have had a proper deluge with fairly frequent lightning. There is a fair amount of static in the air making your hair stand up on end.  Not much in the way of hail but a few dots of hail mixed in with the rain. Key risks were very heavy rainfall, blotting out almost all cloud structure and the constant reverberation from the thunder. No evidence of rotation and post storm low cloud is not zipping along like pre storm clouds were. Few towers behind the storm which might suggest back building. Definitely not one of those rather weak storms with a few flashes of lightning.

I got right clobbered by that

Thanks god it only lasted about 30 minutes but flooded the garden and apparently a lightning bolt damaged the street next to me or so I heard tonight but I have my doubts about but then Again I couldn't tell much from under my quilt lol

Edited by Gordon Webb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I got right clobbered by that

Thanks god it only lasted about 30 minutes but flooded the garden and apparently a lightning bolt damaged the street next to me or so I heard tonight but I have my doubts about but then Again I couldn't tell much from under my quilt lol

It was a beast and think about it this way, other than the garden it didn't cause you any harm. If you managed to get through that storm then you can get through any storm in the UK. I chase storms, so I see the best (worst if you don't like storms) the UK has to offer and this was up there with the biggest and most intense I have seen.

Some great vids and photos from the eastern storms yesterday. As this thundery spell comes to an end I think a lot of us will be left with something to remember, unfortunately not all good but for those who like storms it has been a treat. Those that missed out your time will come, and probably with a vengeance.

More possibilities at the end of this week too, i have my eyes on that :)

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

I am so jealous :bad: of you guy's and gal's that witnessed some of the fantastic storms over the last few days. Here in North Nottingham (Hucknall area) we haven't seen a single thunderstorm. We had a few rumbles of thunder on Saturday and some torrential rain which was a bit like monsoon conditions for a while, but nothing like down there has been south. Gutted!!   :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

But we in the SE were well overdue. It's normally the opposite way round.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

But we in the SE were well overdue. It's normally the opposite way round.

Lauren I got an answer to your thunder question which I've posted in the locked  Storm and convective discussion 7th July Onwards thread

about the records now

The Met Office observers will have recorded any thunder heard from their station, so airfield, weather centre, or if the forecasters heard it , within that hour. It was as human obs not a mechanical one

Posted

Some photos ...

Here's a single bolt from Friday night; I was standing just by M2 J2 looking towards Cuxton,

post-5986-0-60687000-1405937079_thumb.pn

Not as good quality: here's an arcus cloud (I think?) rolling in towards Rochester ahead of the Friday evening storm proper. Very windy as it passed overhead,

post-5986-0-22369200-1405937253_thumb.jppost-5986-0-65022900-1405937268_thumb.jppost-5986-0-10431900-1405937288_thumb.jp

All in all, lots of fun!

:)

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

I am so jealous :bad: of you guy's and gal's that witnessed some of the fantastic storms over the last few days. Here in North Nottingham (Hucknall area) we haven't seen a single thunderstorm. We had a few rumbles of thunder on Saturday and some torrential rain which was a bit like monsoon conditions for a while, but nothing like down there has been south. Gutted!!   :(

I wouldn't worry - we were for case to be in the eye of Friday nights activity but for some inexplicable reason we just had heavy rain with no electrical activity. What I don't understand is that I can't see what ingredient was missing. Wish I could go back to Thursday night - that storm was the only one we got but I watched it being born just south of Portsmouth and then it followed me up the A3 (at tremendous speed for a thunderstorm!) and overtook me when I got home. Wish I'd stayed out in it but watched from west facing window and feel like I missed a lot of the strikes. All good practice though. Great storm indeed but then we got nothing after that as each storm tracked east over Kent time and time again.The fact still remains that the weather predictions for some areas were well over the top seen as I didn't even hear a rumble in our next of the woods Friday into Saturday. Yes it's IMBY but a real letdown over the weekend.I think the central south (Hants & Surrey) deserve a belter this coming Friday night. That plume owes us big time...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I haven't posted much in here since the event, but I did very well! Lightning show on Thursday night, Friday night, and several storms on Saturday morning, with monumental rainfall. A happy Mapantz here! Although I have some withdrawals now. I feel sorry for the storm-starved members slightly east of me, Bournemouth etc.. Only 16 miles from here, they got naff all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Lauren I got an answer to your thunder question which I've posted in the locked  Storm and convective discussion 7th July Onwards threadabout the records now The Met Office observers will have recorded any thunder heard from their station, so airfield, weather centre, or if the forecasters heard it , within that hour. It was as human obs not a mechanical one

Thanks very much Jo. Do could actually be quite erronous, especially on bin day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Good morning all, just a quick heads up that this thread will be locked shortly as the plume event has sadly come to an end, to be replaced with the normal ongoing convective thread....The technical thread though will stay open though as it seems a good first stopping point for members looking for direct forecasting info....Link for technical discussion thread here --------------> http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/80904-spanish-plumeconvective-technical-analysis-discussion-1772014-onwards/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

ok, new discussion thread here ------------> http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/80952-storm-convective-discussion-12z-21714/

locking this one now