Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spanish plume anyone? Storm and convective discussion 17th July Onwards

Posted

Sat next to the lake watching some lovely distant flashes over worksop way.Great end to a great day!

yes i am watching the flashes , no thunder but the sky keeps lighting up

I'm sure I just saw lightning unless it's my imagination!

yes it's lightning, just been watching it

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

2350 return shows the hook once again quite nicely defined once again. 

Posted Image

yes, that's a suspicous signature IMO!...Good spot

• Like 2

Posted

Confirmed my earlier post. Sprung up from nowhere that one. Is it a lake or rather big puddle lol :)

Hardwick hall ponds! A big puddle;) Some brilliant ic lightning to my north:)
  • Like 1

Posted

I'm wondering whether the sudden change of direction of this system off East Anglia and the way it seems to be turning has anything to do with the cold front and the wave it had on it.

Posted

what's the chances of the SW seeing more storms?

Sleep caught up with me around 6pm and have just woke up so if there's a chance I'll be ready

Would be sweet to get more storms tonight.

• Like 1

Posted

yes i am watching the flashes , no thunder but the sky keeps lighting upyes it's lightning, just been watching it

Always good to have another local to back me up :) husband thought I made it up lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Cells firing off near Retford currently, heading North. Can see the lightning off the coast of Norfolk from here in the distance.

Posted

Always good to have another local to back me up :) husband thought I made it up lol

lol no i can confirm you are right , it is lightning 

Posted

I reckon today will be a much better day for Eastern England. SE/EA as we hold onto the more unstable air mass. Quite disappointed today really yesterday, it just never got going, the crud done us no favours, I will get my Supercell one day... :D Goodluck everyone, we need some well deserved sleep.

Edited by Daniel*

Posted

post-18801-0-86776700-1405811717_thumb.j

I'm wondering whether the sudden change of direction of this system off East Anglia and the way it seems to be turning has anything to do with the cold front and the wave it had on it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

If you run the radar back from 2315, you can clearly see the hook wrapping round. Very impressive. 

Edited by Paul Roberts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

what's the chances of the SW seeing more storms?Sleep caught up with me around 6pm and have just woke up so if there's a chance I'll be readyWould be sweet to get more storms tonight.

Very very unlikely the SW will have anymore now. Probably best to get more sleep!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

I would say that on the basis of the radar returns, the clear consistent hook, and the size of the storm, this is most likely a supercell. 

Edited by Paul Roberts
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I would say that on the basis of the radar returns, the clear consistent hook, and the size of the storm, this is most likely a supercell. 

if so, then it looks like 4 supercells in the past 12 hours over the UK...(tonight's east coast system, a possible supercell over notts, and two that developed over Wiltshire earlier on in the afternoon, not too shabby!!

• Like 1

Posted

if so, then it looks like 4 supercells in the past 12 hours over the UK...(tonight's east coast system, a possible supercell over notts, and two that developed over Wiltshire earlier on in the afternoon, not too shabby!!

Wow, that many? I did see from Bramley (a few miles north of Basingstoke) an anvil top which I assumed to be one of the Wiltshire storms, going by radar returns, but truth be told I've not really been following today's storms at all, so only just catching up with the afternoon shenanigans. Archiving the radar run of tonight's Anglian Ravager (suitable name?) for future analysis of today's events wouldn't be a bad suggestion. 

Edited by Paul Roberts
  • Like 1

Posted

In Leeds atm

The storm that hit around 5 ish brought a couple flashes of lightning. Disappointing considering what the West Midlands saw.

Anyway a quick question. Before the storm arrived it was sunny. When it started to leave mist encroached from the south, since then it's gotten really misty. Visibility is really poor atm, is there any reason for this?

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

I'm more inclined to think its a low forming Paul, its just too big to be a supercell and a supercell is i believe a single cell whereas this has numerous cells popping up in it, like i said in my previous post the cold front has a wave in it which is the stage before a low is formed, and checking the GFS 00z it has this small low in the North sea just of of East Anglia.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

My god not that often overhead lightning but my god I've seen 3 of the longest and most amazing lightning I have ever seen! They lasted many seconds and finished off with a hefty 2 second CG. Just wow!

I got slow motion video of some of it.

Edited by Greenday
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

My god not that often overhead lightning but my got I've seen 3 of the longest and most amazing lightning I have ever seen! The lasted many seconds and finished of with a hefty 2 second CG. Just wow!I got slow motion video of some of it.

Pretty little storm, not over active but nice seeing lightning at night, even if it was 30 miles away! One or two closer strikes but everything stayed east of Norwich :)

• Like 1

Posted

I'm more inclined to think its a low forming Paul, its just too big to be a supercell and a supercell is i believe a single cell whereas this has numerous cells popping up in it, like i said in my previous post the cold front has a wave in it which is the stage before a low is formed, and checking the GFS 00z it has this small low in the North sea just of of East Anglia.

It could very well be that. I missed your prior post, so apologies for replying without seeing it first. Bit of an anti-climax if so. Was getting passively excited for a short while. 

Posted

for sure a small LP has formed, but the radar sigs are suspicious and even though it's an quasi MCS, it can still have embedded supercells

to add, these hook like signatures have been showing up for the past couple of hours

Edited by ajpoolshark
  • Like 1

Posted

It could very well be that. I missed your prior post, so apologies for replying without seeing it first. Bit of an anti-climax if so. Was getting passively excited for a short while. 

Also looking at the winds on GFS i'm positive now that it is a low that were seeing starting to turn.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

wasnt expecting what we got yesterday, 4 storms in one day... two with frequent lightning, the other two had a couple of flashes. (am in hereford, and annoyingly l had to be out in one of them shopping).