Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spanish plume anyone? Storm and convective discussion 17th July Onwards

Posted

People in Lowestoft saying that this storm is better than this mornings.

Strikes being detected further inland into Norfolk now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

The NMM modeliing progs a lot of surface and mid-level instability over eastern districts for the next few hours, looks like it nailed it judging by the reports and radar returns as the western flank of the MCS has sprung to life....good luck to those on the east coast who have otherwise missed out so far  :good:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

I did notice the hook but I'm not sure that it is a bit too big but could possibly have been brief rotation.

Yeah, seemed quite defined to me. Is it actually a supercell? I've seen the word used in the last few posts, but also MCS, so a tadge confused. Certainly looked to have super cellular characteristics on radar before. Anyhow back to the hook, looking at the 22:25 return it looks very clearly defined. Perhaps the most defined I've seen on UK radar. 

Posted Image

Edited by Paul Roberts
  • Like 2

Posted

Is this likely to be just an east coast event or is it possible they could hit me inland in lincs, as so far had nothing, even though to the west and east have had storms today..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Is there a chance those storms over western France are heading this way?

Just noticed Met Office and euro4 precip charts expect storms to break out across the Midlands tonight.

Edited by Supacell

Posted

The weather never ceases to amaze me, that system came up towards the South coast, then turned right when it got to the Channel, went into Belgium and turned North to the Netherlands, and then finally turned left towards the East coast, lovely light show its giving.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

The weather never ceases to amaze me, that system came up towards the South coast, then turned right when it got to the Channel, went into Belgium and turned North to the Netherlands, and then finally turned left towards the East coast, lovely light show its giving.

You guys n girls deserve it though, we've had most of the storms so far this week ;)

• Like 1

Posted

You guys n girls deserve it though, we've had most of the storms so far this week ;)

I'll happily give it to the guys in Norfolk, i came down to Kent for the first MCS last night, then came back home to radar watch and was given 2 hours of continuous lightning at 4 this morning, So i've had my fair share.

Posted

Light rain here now in wynondham and can now here some rumbling. It's coming a bit further inland on the east coast now. If it doesn't die out and the hook continues Lincs etc might get hit with this.

Will coming inland intensify this or break it down. It's humid like this morning again here in wynondham

Posted

Latest UKV going for some storms for Eastern areas tomorrow.

Latest satellite shows the MCS which looks to have a mind of its own!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Look at bay of biscay on sat 24 it's exploding into life that will hit south early hours

Yes am not sure we're done with storms yet, though whether they survive the Channel and just give crap leftover cloud is another matter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Would be a rather nice surprise, can't see it myself personally, not this far west anyway - chances are it'll be a pre cursor for more storms firing along more eastern areas into tomorrow afternoon. Just for a change :)I mentioned Ashby-de-la-Zouch earlier lol..didn't know you were there at the time. Looked manic on radar, to think this area of storms initially started out Stratford way into S Mids, brum, Coventry and then just kept intensifying further as it went NNE.You off towards the E coast tomorrow lol? Could be another Lincs Wolds special.

Yes I decided to chase the storm as it looked like it would miss Derby and located somewhere near EM Airport as being the likely spot to get hit, but once I got there I could see Ashby looked to be direct in the firing line. As it happens another cell fired and hit Derby head on but I think I got to see the best of it by being in Ashby de la Zouch. 

I won't be chasing tomorrow, i have my 2 kids over and not sure they would be happy being carted around chasing after storms lol. Anyway, I have seen enough to be happy and satisfied but still wouldn't turn down a surprise overnight storm popping by for a visit at home.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Yeah, seemed quite defined to me. Is it actually a supercell? I've seen the word used in the last few sentences, but also MCS, so a tadge confused. Certainly looked to have super cellular characteristics on radar before. Anyhow back to the hook, looking at the 22:25 return it looks very clearly defined. Perhaps the most defined I've seen on UK radar. 

good post Paul, and an interesting question....that radar signature does infer a meso-low, a one of the key signatures of a supercell

• Like 1

Posted

Friends and family from Lowestoft and Yarmouth on Facebook saying how amazing this storm is. Also hearing there's a tree down on Peto Way roundabout in Lowestoft...not sure it's related to this storm but I guess it is.

Think it's going to rumble on for quite some time for them.

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

good post Paul, and an interesting question....that radar signature does infer a meso-low, a one of the key signatures of a supercell

Indeed. Been keeping a close eye on the radar returns and the lightning detectors. My understanding of supercells is relatively basic, however the presence of the heavier rain and lightning on the leading edge, with less towards the rear suggests another supercell characteristic if I'm not mistaken?

The hook looked to be weakening between earlier but in the last twenty minutes it appears more defined again. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and tornadoes

Had an amazing day today, started my day by Swindon, when the storms were intensifying just east of Bristol, managed to get just infront of it then stayed right along side the storm as it headed north, stayed with it until i got totally washed out just north of Nuneaton, never seen rain and hail that bad also the amount of branches and debris on the road was crazy... Headed south after only to see the large storm over Oxford some 50 miles away so could not resist chasing that one and all i can say is wow.... After 300 miles on the road chasing all i can say is thank you mother nature and to all the fab people on this forum. Amazing day and great to hear so many people got there lightning fix today :-) lets hope for many more to come this year.

• Like 4

Posted

Sat next to the lake watching some lovely distant flashes over worksop way.

Great end to a great day!

• Like 1

Posted

Indeed. Been keeping a close eye on the radar returns and the lightning detectors. My understanding of supercells is relatively basic, however the presence of the heavier rain and lightning on the leading edge, with less towards the rear suggests another supercell characteristic if I'm not mistaken?

The hook looked to be weakening between earlier but in the last twenty minutes it appears more defined again. 

for a tornadic supercell, the hook echo normally appears on the southern.so uth east flankof the cell, and yes, precip normally fans out downwind of the core due to the tilted & rotated upfraft

• Like 1

Posted

I'm sure I just saw lightning unless it's my imagination!

Posted

Paul Roberts, on 19 Jul 2014 - 23:54, said:Posted Image

Indeed. Been keeping a close eye on the radar returns and the lightning detectors. My understanding of supercells is relatively basic, however the presence of the heavier rain and lightning on the leading edge, with less towards the rear suggests another supercell characteristic if I'm not mistaken?

for a tornadic supercell, the hook echo normally appears on the southern.so uth east flankof the cell, and yes, precip normally fans out downwind of the core due to the tilted & rotated upfraft

Thought the hook usually was south/south west edge? Anyhow a mere footnote. I wonder how impressive this storm would look if it were daytime. 

2350 return shows the hook once again quite nicely defined once again. 

Posted Image

Quick question, this screenshot is from my NW extra subscription, is it ok to add these screenshots in posts, or is it against forum rules?

Edited by Paul Roberts
  • Like 2