Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spanish plume anyone? Storm and convective discussion 17th July Onwards

Posted

Yep, another significant non-event for the true east of the UK :(

Anything but a non-event here, a good trip down memory lane last night, to the 2 hour long storms i had as a kid.

I would say its the best plume event for the UK as a whole for coming on 2 decades.

Posted

Think I might be a bit too far north west for this storm. South and East of brum looking bang on though

Posted

It doesn't look as intense as the 28th June supercell, although the real intensity on that one developed as it passed over Leicestershire and Lincolnshire. My thoughts are that this will track across Brum and to the south of Derby into Leicestershire.

That was a very damaging storm here.

post-6740-0-55137300-1405778821_thumb.jp

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Yes, the storms over Cotswolds/SW Midlands are just ahead of frontal zone stretching NNW to SSE from western Scotland to IoW, the storms in the warm and unstable airmass to east of front and stable and fresher conditons to the west of Wales, which is producing stratiform rainfall.

Estofex did highlight the potential for seabreeze lines of convection to occur, I assume seabreeze is the word they're using to describe the fresher air, to the west and the humid air to the east.. if so, the Swindon > Birmingham storm does look like one of these 'sea breeze line' developments, as you suggest with the fresher air to the west.

ps you can feel how fresh the air is here already, however the temperature has climbed to 23C in bright skies. Dewpoint is right down now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Brum atm

post-12214-0-71009500-1405778991_thumb.p

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Sferics now coming in from the line of convection right along the E Yorkshire coast. The latest one is just offshore of Bridlington.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frosty / Warm but not hot with a steady breeze

The sun has defo got his hat on

Posted

The cell near Nottingham fired up in 10 minutes, some serious energy around here!

Also, lots of strikes being picked up outside of the main storm, are these +CG? 

post-17481-0-26716000-1405779135_thumb.p

Posted

Something has popped from nothing over Andover in Hants, 10 mins ago it wasn't there now its developing fast

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold

Now feels very calm and just spitting now, very humid

post-20496-0-80719600-1405779142_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Current weather here. Been this dull and wet all day, horrible! Think my last chance of seeing any storms is from the stuff in Central England and maybe from that building supercell beside Wiltshire, fingers crossed!!

post-21143-0-47839600-1405779150_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I think east of Birmingham you're in with a shout from this beast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Looking West from here, just seeing some bubbly looking tops pop up, quite a way out,  but they're there nonetheless - Sun keeps trying to break through the Haze, temp sitting at 28.6c, 77f DP... (According to station) - certainly uncomfortable at the moment.....

Posted

ps you can feel how fresh the air is here already, however the temperature has climbed to 23C in bright skies. Dewpoint is right down now.

Hawarden, Blackpool airports are reporting dewpoints of 18C and 19C respectively. Even Isle of Man Airport reporting a dewpoint of 17C at 3pm

Posted

Looking at the Satpic loop, I would say: defo Right moving supercell. Can anyone of the spotters east of the storm confirm a rotating meso? cheers

Ralph

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Anyone want a beer?? To either celebrate or drown their sorrows...my reasons the latter. 

you better give me the whole pack!

On the other hand, lets drink to a warm, summery week next week - if we cant have thunderstorms, a summery outlook is the next best thing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Reckon Staffs area, i.e Cannock Lichfield Tamworth, well in the firing line Nick - let's hope it just keeps expanding in the next few hours. Big fat drops here rain starting to get pretty loud..darkening skies and humid.

Will go comfortably east of here, pretty sure of that, I might move east in a bit. Tamworth might be a shout.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted

Hawarden, Blackpool airports are reporting dewpoints of 18C and 19C respectively. Even Isle of Man Airport reporting a dewpoint of 17C at 3pm

Here dewpoint reading in bright, but cloudy skies (ground now dry), is temperature of 23.0C, dewpoint of 13.2C humidity 54%

This is quite normal though, for my dewpoints to be below surrounding areas. I've taken a few tests in the past, and it correlates.

My other theory is it is down to sheltered elevation.. I'm going to go down to sea level now, and take some readings, and see if there is any notable difference.

Edited by SP1986

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Looking at the Satpic loop, I would say: defo Right moving supercell. Can anyone of the spotters east of the storm confirm a rotating meso? cheers Ralph

Hopefully will confirm soon, heading West of Leicester towards hinckley
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe thunderstorms, Heavy snow

When are these storms supposed to start popping up? Very disappointing so far...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Hmmm, not looking to likely atm from what I can see to the south, but you never know:

Heathrow Airport has asked airlines to cancel one in five flights between 16:00 and 18:00 BST. Airlines say other London flights could be delayed

Heathrow said there was a strong likelihood of thunderstorms, lightning strikes and hail, which can significantly reduce capacity for take-offs and landing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28382702

Posted

Really humid here with cloudy skies. Hoping we're in a good position but guess I'll just have to wait and see.