Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spanish plume anyone? Storm and convective discussion 17th July Onwards

Posted

Skies have almost completely cleared in Central Hampshire - extremely warm and humid now, with the activity to our west maybe we will see storms pop up out of nothing later on?

Posted

@ Nick: If spotters further along its path up north can confirm a rotating meso in 30 minutes from now it can definitively be classified as such.

Ralph

What direction/path do you reckon this will take? Is it Birmingham bound?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

I wonder what it looks like from above of that Beast over Wiltshire/Gloucestershire? Has anyone got a cloud radar??

Posted

This storm is angry!  Fantastic storm in Cirencester.I'd just been in the garden and noticed the clouds all racing in different directions?  Looked like they were being sucked up above me?  Then all hell broke loose!

Sounds like a huge storm hopefully heads in this direction

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

If the Swindon cell is indeed a supercell (I'm not entirely sure it is, could do with some footage), then it will probably have a good lifespan and long track. Supercells are totally different beasts to single cell, pop-up storms which die out within an hour or two.

I'm over in the east of Swindon, there seems to be 3 active cells passing. I got some great pics of the disturbed clouds under the storm. The cells are heading NE into the Cotswolds.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Certainly an interesting signature to the southern end of the storm cluster running north across Wilts and Glous, the storm over Swindon has a classic 'kidney' shape indicitive of a supercell, appears cyclic with this shape too as it heads north, unimpedded sun warmed and very moist SE flow to tap into the storm at the surface too.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

I wonder what it looks like from above of that Beast over Wiltshire/Gloucestershire? Has anyone got a cloud radar??

sat24.com

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Damn high cloud spilling up from the south here in London, from the remnants of French morning storms that have crossed the channel and died, just when the sun was getting to work and cu was trying to bubble upwards!

Beginning to dissipate again here though. Can see clearer skies and some cumulus bubbling up to the south-west.  

Posted

Yes, large wall of cloud passed then all hell broke loose, looked very much like some form of mamatus type cloud behind the wall, then rain, very heavy, constant thunder and lightening, seems to have passed me now headed North.

Posted

Good to see someone else from Ipswich! Nice storm last night wasn't it?

What do you think of our chances today? Seems too cloudy for me, think we could miss out for today. Still the day ahead of us I guess.

Hi Geg, always good to hear from another Ipswich poster, I'm in Bramford on the West side, last night was amazing, a proper 80's storm, i think our chances are still pretty good today, some more sunshine would help though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold

First rays of sunshine here in Solihull.  Bish

now please can we get some storms going here! Slept through whatever we had last night

Just went for a drive. Some nice sized hail, biblical rain, and frequent lightning. The rotation was quite incredible, however I couldn't capture it. Took a few pics of what looked to me to be a wall cloud/mammatus, will upload in a couple of minutes. I'd also like someone to have a look at a picture I took that looks like the base of the storm starting to lower. It reminded me a bit of how the wedge tornadoes in the US form.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Posted ImageDeleted. i was trying to show you the image of the storm from above.

Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Okay I am going to chase this Swindon beast. Just need to figure out its track as looks to have some NE movement to it.

Edit: Holy cr*p this thing could actually be heading to Derby!

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

photo of lightning from the Swindon storm I took whilst it was overhead...

post-4149-0-24174600-1405777083_thumb.jp

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe thunderstorms, Heavy snow

Hi Geg, always good to hear from another Ipswich poster, I'm in Bramford on the West side, last night was amazing, a proper 80's storm, i think our chances are still pretty good today, some more sunshine would help though.

I'm on the other side! Yep hopefully it will break up again but seems to be getting more and more cloudy here. I'd expect perhaps late afternoon/evening things will kick off like yesterday!

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Where is the cold front situated right now,at what time will it clear the east coast as things stand now? Is is faster or slower than progged or about right?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Here in Norwich the sky looks a lot more stable now. Thin whispy cloud and blue sky currently. Nothing bubbling.

Edited by Greenday
  • Like 1

Posted

Okay I am going to chase this Swindon beast. Just need to figure out its track as looks to have some NE movement to it.

Convergence in the midlands should start sending it northwards as it gets south of Birmingham, added moisture from the east and this system could easily be sustained right up into the north.

Posted

I was just about to post, i think its heading, Birmingham, Derby, then here! ;) 

Posted

Just went for a drive. Some nice sized hail, biblical rain, and frequent lightning. The rotation was quite incredible, however I couldn't capture it. Took a few pics of what looked to me to be a wall cloud/mammatus, will upload in a couple of minutes. I'd also like someone to have a look at a picture I took that looks like the base of the storm starting to lower. It reminded me a bit of how the wedge tornadoes in the US form.

Very high cloud tops in a discrete circle...stands out from the rest of the area round it.

Posted Image

• Like 1