Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spanish plume anyone? Storm and convective discussion 17th July Onwards

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Cell close to MK, now heading north is pumping out two to three lighting flashes per second, and more developing on top of me. That last roll of thunder was a ground shaker.  :yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Main storm dying out for sure, even the mini cell is showing more activity!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Frequent lightning to my east. I even saw an anvil crawler. It's been a while since I saw one of those

Posted

This storm is incredible...the lightning sensational, just like those pics from last night.I have a few vids of anvil crawlers on my iPhone but don't know what to do with them...lol...can someone message me instructions (useless I know).It's a relic of an iPhone 3GSIf this is a precursor to later...wow!!! Just, wow!!!!Oh and humidity...I love humid but this is nuts...just caked in sweat.

Google tells me your humidity is 58% ... Winchester is currently at 86% ... Lots of power still to go up here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

It's a mothership :D

Posted

I got my D3100 on A f/22, ISO200 for night photography. Although i expect this will change depending on the time and frequency that any storms hit here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

* Important *

sorry to be a grouch, but unfortunately we've had to remove a couple of recent posts in the storm thread as they contained a photo uploaded from twitter which breaks their terms. To share photos from there please just link to the tweet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I do worry that MCS earlier

May reduce chances further West this evening but I'm no expert in that department. Still a lot of models giving the Midlands a lot of storms/rain over the next 24 hours but the models generally struggling presently.

• Like 1

Posted

WOW! Saw the French storm start coming towards us so we shot off to find a decnt view of it incoming.

Posted ImageDSC00177.JPG

As it came closer the structure become unbelievable! Unlike any storm I have ever seen in this country. As the wall of cloud come over us the winds were incredibly strong. Branches from trees were flying everywhere! (A small tree also in the road on way back along with several large branches)

Posted ImageDSC00182.JPG

On the back edge of the wall of cloud there was incredible rotation, also pretty sure we saw a distant funnel cloud!

Posted ImageDSC00187.JPG

Hoping for more later!!

This passed over me in Ashford Kent, fantastic rotation! I can't ever remember seeing cloud growing and rotating like this before. I was jumping up and down in the garden like a kid pointing and shouting the wife thought I had lost my marbles!

• Like 1

Posted

Bit meh behind the main front of the MCS...can someone help me with the ideal F and ISO settings for night shots please...bulb and remote trigger fine but I think I'm letting too much light in...too much orange ambient light :cray:

Shoot in RAW if you can (to fix exposure later) and try F8 ISO100 and experiment with the exposure (10-20 secs depending of ambient light and any foreground lights etc) you also need to account for how close the storm is. further away needs more light etc. Hope this helps. 

PS focus on manual and try and find a light or similar in the distance to focus on, just back from infinity. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Bit meh behind the main front of the MCS...can someone help me with the ideal F and ISO settings for night shots please...bulb and remote trigger fine but I think I'm letting too much light in...too much orange ambient light :cray:

I've just been using Firework mode and that's worked great when I time it right! Must have taken 70 pics but only managed to capture 2 fork shots.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I do worry that MCS earlierMay reduce chances further West this evening but I'm no expert in that department. Still a lot of models giving the Midlands a lot of storms/rain over the next 24 hours but the models generally struggling presently.

if it were during the day and we were reliant on surface based convection then yes, I'd worry too, but as storms are elevated in nature they're not reliant on any surface based energy which might otherwise be suppressed, so nothing to worry about  :)

• Like 5

Posted

Is this going to fizzle out before it gets into EA/ Norfolk. Still had nothing great here for a while.

Good luck to all.

Would be nice for this heat to be smashed away by a good storm tonight.

Chop chop :)

• Like 1

Posted

I've just been using Firework mode and that's worked great when I time it right! Must have taken 70 pics but only managed to capture 2 fork shots.

take video then. You can look back through and then capture the frames that have the lightning on. That's how I get mine, without having all the fancy equipment  :-)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Posted ImageUntitled.jpg

You can see what i mean about the size of the original cell (1) but behind is 2 & 3 with small developing areas in Biscay i expect them to move more Northerly over night.

LO

Cell 2 is heading the exact same way as cell 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Posted ImageUntitled.jpg

You can see what i mean about the size of the original cell (1) but behind is 2 & 3 with small developing areas in Biscay i expect them to move more Northerly over night.

I reckon 2 will hit Kent nicely but think 3 will just miss and go out to the North Sea.

LO

Posted

Cell 2 is heading the exact same way as cell 1

that should change Paul, as steering winds shift more northerly and north westerly over the next few hours.......at least according to the latest modelling....time will tell I guess

• Like 3