Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spanish plume anyone? Storm and convective discussion 17th July Onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Just seen the Estofex forecast for tomorrow - it'll be just my luck if all hell breaks loose in Peterborough now I'm down in Oxford for the weekend! Level 2 warning out there...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, good visibility, unstable and stormy!

can hear some rain but no thunder on the far NW side of the mothership!

Posted

Northampton seems to be breeding a few front runners!!

In Kettering, seen or heard nothing yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Bang over here now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Steady rain here with distant thunder, can see lightning to the east, which is where all the storm action seems to be so far!

Posted

Another 6 hours before the worst of the storms that the models are predicting come to fruition, I expect now with nocturnal cooling taking place futher destabilization of the mid-layers is already underway as evident in Milton Keynes.

• Like 2

Posted

Oh damn, we missed out by such a small margin. Barely 5-10 miles in my location - Essex has done well out of this :( we just got a glancing blow, my earlier optimism was wrong, cruel world the atmosphere just looked so prime.

Posted

As already mentioned it looks like this one slid past us. No T&L anymore, just some moderate rain. Definitely still feels primed and ready- think that was just the aperitif! 

Most amazing skies I've seen for quite a while though. Wow! My pics really didn't do them justice. Can't wait to see what the folks with the pro kit get!

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

wow.. thunderlightning just picked up here

not a bad display again!,just clipping us here in SE London.Some nice crawlers and a few cg bolts...nothing overhead yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Seems to be some linking up of the main body with the renegade troops in Northampton :-)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

So how do people get lightning pics then? Obviously you don't stand around waiting for the one flash every 10 mins. I'm not too dusty at night photography but I would REALLY like to know what settings and or lenses you use on a DSLR (bar a tripod and a remote which are givens, plus bulb or long exp.) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow

Mate of mine gave me a ring little under 1 hour ago and he was down Crayford area south-east London saying the lightning was intense. And to think I got relatives down Maidstone way too, lucky bggers!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Only about 1 strike visible per minute here to the SE. But there's been some spectacular IC.

EDIT: All over now I think.

Edited by poseidon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Bit meh behind the main front of the MCS...can someone help me with the ideal F and ISO settings for night shots please...bulb and remote trigger fine but I think I'm letting too much light in...too much orange ambient light :cray:

Posted

Whats amazing is the fact that the cell effecting southern england reaches from the east in Belgum to the west in Birmingham then from the Lincs borders south to Northern France Amazing !

LO

• Like 4

Yes, those in the mids northwards are unlikely to see much if anything until well after midnight - realistically nearer 3-5am or thereabouts. Morning storms trundling slowly north, drier sunnier slot (temps responding) then more homegrown ones to keep a good look out for. These too will be locally severe, hail, you name it. Some places seeing hardly anything, such is during these set ups.

that would be me triple x!!!....

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Models really haven't been handling to well the storms earlier today and this evening too. 12z GFS and EC didn't pick up the MCS, which developed west of Paris then moved NNE across Sussex, Kent and now Essex.

Hard to say, therefore, exactly what will happen for the rest of the night, suffice to say nocuturnal cooling above the plume will allow further elevated storms to develop across S England and into the Midlands, plus more storms to move north from western France towards CS and SE England in the early hours. 

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 3