Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spanish plume anyone? Storm and convective discussion 17th July Onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

This storm is incredible...the lightning sensational, just like those pics from last night.

I have a few vids of anvil crawlers on my iPhone but don't know what to do with them...lol...can someone message me instructions (useless I know).

It's a relic of an iPhone 3GS

If this is a precursor to later...wow!!! Just, wow!!!!

Oh and humidity...I love humid but this is nuts...just caked in sweat.

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow

There is some dark as hell clouds in a furious looking sky outside! Instability to the max! Looking West to Oxfordshire, I swear something is about to kick off round here, and it just so happens some small cells look to have popped up on net-weather's radar. 

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Can someone in Basildon get a photo of the wall cloud passing over, it's awesome but my wife has nicked my camera!

I think you mean a shelf cloud or gust front? A wall cloud surrounds the rotating mesocyclone of a supercell.Still flashin and grumbling occasionally here in Croydon on the edge of the MCS tracking NE over Kent and E Sussex.Storms over western France seem to be heading in a more northerly direction, as the flow backs more SSEerly ahead of approaching upper trough from the west, so these perhaps ending up tracking further west into central S as well as SE England later. Edited by Nick F
  • Like 3

Posted

Some funky clouds over London but the lightnings all over to the east (where it did look quite fun), only heard a few rumbles of thuinder. Got a bit of rain. Hoping for better later

Posted

Was looking promising for here for a moment but looks like passing East of my location or even dying off. Met Office then predict an explosion of activity between 2am and early am hours significantly West of here.

Yet last night didn't expect anything and got a decent storm.

Love Mother Nature.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

There is some dark as hell clouds in a furious looking sky outside! Instability to the max! Looking West to Oxfordshire, I swear something is about to kick off round here, and it just so happens some small cells look to have popped up on net-weather's radar. 

.........like the storm that popped out of nowhere at around 8am today :)  .........a brewing ground today! :) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

I think you mean a shelf cloud or gust front? A wall cloud surrounds the rotating mesocyclone of a supercell.Still flashin and grumbling occasionally here in Croydon on the edge of the MCS tracking NE over Kent and E Sussex.Storms over western France seem to be heading in a more northerly direction, as the flow backs more SSEerly ahead of approaching upper trough from the west, so these perhaps ending up tracking further west into central S as well as SE England later.

This is of course the main event getting going right? About midnight-2am or so??

Posted

This is of course the main event getting going right? About midnight-2am or so??

Yes. Probably nearer 4am for me if its still bimbling north.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

OM**G!! Did anyone just see the lightning to the South west of London?? It lit up the sky like the sun!!

Edit:

Deep base Thunder also from whatever that was. 

Edited by Robbie Garrett
  • Like 4

Posted

The storm is tracking slightly to the East of Basildon. Nearly all IC strikes but some impressive ones nontheless, and almost continuous thunder. Rain falling moderately from the west, and motion appears to be around 10mph northwards.

Posted

Can someone in Basildon get a photo of the wall cloud passing over, it's awesome but my wife has nicked my camera!

Forgive my ignorance, is that this? I captured earlierEdit with link: http://i57.tinypic.com/24lr4hy.jpg Edited by Trance
  • Like 1

Posted

skies are getting seriously weird to my south-east..     seeing the start of mamatus formations , and some really weird rotational elements ( at slow level..)  

no wind , no thunder, no lightning..  

but the cloud formations are definitely getting very odd - and it's streaming from the south-east of me ( in hampshire)

Posted

I think you mean a shelf cloud or gust front? A wall cloud surrounds the rotating mesocyclone of a supercell.Still flashin and grumbling occasionally here in Croydon on the edge of the MCS tracking NE over Kent and E Sussex.Storms over western France seem to be heading in a more northerly direction, as the flow backs more SSEerly ahead of approaching upper trough from the west, so these perhaps ending up tracking further west into central S as well as SE England later.

Thanks, I'm not too clued up on the finer points of weather obs  :wink:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow

BINGO!!!! Lightning sighted miles to the north-west of here, just lit up the sky, I suspect around Aylesbury. Anyone over Milton Keynes, Northampton way, keep a lookout!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms

no mamatus here yet in Basingstoke, central Hampshire, but the skies to the south-east are definitely getting ominous...   starting to see undulating "waves" in the cloud formations to the SE .. not sure what the technical term for them is..   - it's like a wave in the sky..   is there a technical term for that kind of formation?

Probably asperatus undulatus

Posted

BINGO!!!! Lightning sighted miles to the north-west of here, just lit up the sky, I suspect around Aylesbury. Anyone over Milton Keynes, Northampton way, keep a lookout!!!

Lightning map says strike to the N of Aylesbury,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Well I think it's game over for westerners!

• Like 3