Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spanish plume anyone? Storm and convective discussion 17th July Onwards

Posted

From my untrained eye, I would say that it's looking very promising indeed for the South East and East Anglia and the rest of us will have to keep watching to see if and how we'll get ours.

Pretty good situation for all of us at this stage...but I would definetly be smiling if I was in the south east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I'd say 2-3 hours from now.

As in to start or the peak of the action?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

As previously said these storms over France have nothing to do with what may come tonight, I wont be surprised if this lot dies down over the channel...its the development of the shortwave moving north which will give us the storms later if things go to plan....

• Like 2

Posted

Yeah we could be, as long as we get some daytime heating going! The murk certainly took it's time to shift today, but tomorrow is a very different day :) So much to happen before then though :)

I'm travelling south tonight to hopefully catch some night-time lightning on video :) Taking Supacell's road advice and positioning myself next to the M1/A14 junction so I have an easterly road to drive down.

Also, noticed you are one day ahead of me on the 'thunderstorm' count lol. I remember that extra one you got too! Bloody thing died out before it reached us, grrr!

Not a bad total if im honest, 9 thunder days so far! however i could only really class 1 of them as a proper thunderstorm and that was the supercell on June 9th

And tonight im going to sit around and twiddle my thumbs until about 11, then make a move depending on whats going of further south!

Good luck and good luck to everyone else wishing for storms! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Best of luck Matt. Hope mother nature delivers something spectacular!

Cheers, just for the record my travels are not storm related. Unfortunately it's my girlfriends birthday tomorrow so my time will be spent at a special exhibit at the natural history museum so no storm fun for me :p

I really feel tomorrow could deliver something June 2012(esque), hell it might be even warmer in the south east than that day was. More fuel to the fire and all that. 

Posted

If you haven't done it already, zoom right in on the storms in the live map to get some great patterns!

post-22487-0-92390200-1405703900_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

post-182-0-89039500-1405703956_thumb.pngJust noticed the rate of convection and strikes..

Checked Estofex for an update as clearly a mesoscale discussion needs to be announced. and shock horror.... There is:

http://www.estofex.org/cgi-bin/polygon/showforecast.cgi?map=yes&fcstfile=2014071820_201407181712_-_mesoscalediscussion.xml

Proper gonna explode now!

Mesoscale Discussion

Valid: Fri 18 Jul 2014 17:00 to Fri 18 Jul 2014 20:00 UTC
Issued: Fri 18 Jul 2014 17:12
Forecaster: GROENEMEIJER

NW and central France, extreme SE England, extreme W Belgium...

On the forward flank of an area of elevated convection that moved northward over Western France, convective storms have intensified after 16 UTC and evidently become surface-based.

The environment in which these strorms develop is characterized by ample MLCAPE (2000-3000 J/kg), and strong (20 m/s in the west) to moderate (10 m/s in the east) deep-layer shear. The most intense storms will likely occur in across far NW France in vicinity of a prexisting convergence zone (near a line from just south of Rouen to Lille). Given the strong CAPE, very large hail will be possible. The storms may well develop into a bow-echo capable of producing gusts > 32 m/s. 

The western flank of the convective system may also affect W Belgium and SEern England around 20 UTC. 

In central France, deep convective activity will have more difficulty to form, because of some remaining convective inhibition. Any more isolated storm in that region will also have a threat of producing very large hail and isolated severe wind gusts.

Edited by Lynxus
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Ok...... I'd better get my ass in gear and eat dinner and get driving towards Southend.

Oh and charge the camera :p

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

It is the area north of Caens that has suddenly exploded that I am keeping my eye on. That will more directly hit the SE and I suspect further storms will build to the west of that.

Posted

Hi guys !

I'm living in Rouen and I found your forum and this discussion so I thought it could be a good idea to register and tell you what's going on because it's going to be huge here.

welcome to forum looking intense 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

If the storms over France turn north then the whole of the SE and EA would get smashed by that storm to the west of Paris. I wonder if we could see something similar to that intensity on UK soil tonight?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spicy weather

ok, i think i get it. Everyone's looking at that clump of thunderstorms that's currently leaving France? Been fine and dry here, a bit windy tho'. Nevermind...can only live in hope!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Current storms over France seem to be taking a slightly easterly direction.

Posted

BBC just saying the pattern and dispersal of storms is unpredictable and they can't for sure say who will get a storm and who won't.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

With the click sound on that French beast is constantly tapping, insane lightning rates over there!

Posted

Hells teeth, it's absolutely nuts over there! Don't think I've ever seen it that intense!

Posted

welcome to forum looking intense

Nice place Rouen. Last time I was there was foggy and -5c. Suspect a bit different today..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Can't find a streaming webcam in Rouen unfortunately, however on the Eiffel Tower camera you can see a rather stunning Cb....

http://www.earthcam.com/france/paris/?cam=eiffeltower

• Like 1

Posted

Some very tasty storms appearing over France! The highlighted storm looks like it's going to be a Kent clipper. Lucky sods!

I think only the extreme East will get hit by that stuff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Cheers, just for the record my travels are not storm related. Unfortunately it's my girlfriends birthday tomorrow so my time will be spent at a special exhibit at the natural history museum so no storm fun for me :p

I really feel tomorrow could deliver something June 2012(esque), hell it might be even warmer in the south east than that day was. More fuel to the fire and all that. 

Lol ! I'd find it hard not to be very distracted if theres baseball sized hail falling just outside  :rofl:

Yep indeed tomorrow looks to be very potent indeed. Look at that though over N France, insanity!!!