Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spanish plume anyone? Storm and convective discussion 17th July Onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything out of the ordinary, except extreme heat

Do I stay up for round 2 to my SW ??

I would. It's still too hot to sleep anyway.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

The best thunderstorm of my time here in SE London,30 minutes of spectaculer anvil crawlers,a few CG bolts and constant rumbling thunder.

The SE london Storm shield broken!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

What a corker!, with proper US style gunshot thunder, one strike was so close, beautiful fork, all the hairs on my arms stood up, just awesome!

• Like 5

Posted

The best thunderstorm of my time here in SE London,30 minutes of spectaculer anvil crawlers,a few CG bolts and constant rumbling thunder.The SE london Storm shield broken!

id say it def is!! looks like another cell to smash into us once it picks up all this humidity the last one left... not much of it at mo but id reckon it will get active.. fingers crossed for round 2

yep just got active!!

Edited by nanu
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Am awake and not normally here...but put it this way I WON'T be posting in the no storms club today.

awesome! :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :clapping:  :clapping:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Well worth getting up for, almost an hour of fun.

Some really impressive lightning, both fork and high up stuff., camera doesn't do justice.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

This is amazing. I'm in a clear slot, the moon is out but I can still see the storm to my E flashing and now there is a lot of lightning flashing to my SW!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Still/Hot or extremes. Fog/Damp etc boring...

amazing photos

Thanks, Needed a wider angle lens really. They were taken from within the car so not amazing but best luck ive had for a few years.

Posted

I would. It's still too hot to sleep anyway.

OK Talked me into it :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Level 2 estofex warning into Southern England from Central France!

Exciting bit is that they were on the verge of giving the big level 3 warning out, only thing that stopped them was their level of uncertainty!!  ;)

• Like 1

Posted

id say it def is!! looks like another cell to smash into us once it picks up all this humidity the last one left... not much of it at mo but id reckon it will get active.. fingers crossed for round 2 yep just got active!!

fantastic,been here two years now and its the first nightime storm that has woken me up and that was worthy of standing outside in the dressing gown,mouth open in awe! Pretty wild winds for a time too.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

You know when you have a good Spanish plume when you get woken up by a thunderstorm which wasn't even forecast :)

Huge boom just now, must have hit the church in the centre of town.

• Like 1

Posted

Gonna turn in now. Sky's clear overhead, can just about see the backend of the storm off to the NE.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

First thunder from the next storm coming in from the SW! Really kicking off lol

Posted

er thought my neck of the woods fun was Saturday - kept awake all night and would appear to be in storm alley looking at the radar !

Posted

Level 2 estofex warning into Southern England from Central France!

Exciting bit is that they were on the verge of giving the big level 3 warning out, only thing that stopped them was their level of uncertainty!!  ;)

FFor Friday night into Saturday ??  Get in......

Edited by Biggin

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Just had a spectacular lightning storm, some thunder, but many brilliant vivid and some blinding flashes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

FFor Friday night into Saturday ??  Get in......

yeah. Hail of >5cm was also mentioned ! Aswell as supercell storms, tornadoes, extreme precipitation and even a mention of a bow echo!

Armageddon?!?!

Posted

yeah. Hail of >5cm was also mentioned ! Aswell as supercell storms, tornadoes, extreme precipitation and even a mention of a bow echo!

Armageddon?!?!

Wish I knew what a bow echo was. am off to google it. :) EDIT here ya go 

bow echo is a term describing the characteristic radar return from a mesoscale convective system that is shaped like an archer’s bow. These systems can produce severe straight-line winds and occasionally tornadoes, causing major damage. They can also become derechos.

Bow echoes are capable of producing straight-line winds that are just as strong as many tornadoes. 

Edited by Biggin
  • Like 1

Posted

Wish I knew what a bow echo was. am off to google it. :) EDIT here ya go 

bow echo is a term describing the characteristic radar return from a mesoscale convective system that is shaped like an archer’s bow. These systems can produce severe straight-line winds and occasionally tornadoes, causing major damage. They can also become derechos.

Bow echoes are capable of producing straight-line winds that are just as strong as many tornadoes. 

didnt we just have one of them !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Awesome ride up to the Hogs Back south of Guildford.

Left at 12:56 am just as the first rumbles to south and moon disappearing in veil of As or Cs. Frequent lightning (4-5 to 10-12 / min) ascending to vantage point. Lightning was illuminating Cu towers rather than anvil, although Cs & Ci filled sky by this point. Impressive view of lightning getting nearer towards south (Haselmere etc). Close discharge at 1:18 am and onset of rain. Thought I had better play safe and go lower down. Torrential rain at 1:22 am to 1:30 am - roads were awash in seconds with the rain intensity - although only 5 mm (est) was in gauge on arriving home at 2:45 am. Epic close discharge at entrance to Uni at 1:38 am during the second bout of torrential rain (1:37 am to 1:41 am). Lightning went from yellow to red and broke up like burning fragments of rope disintegrating - also saw this in the 1:18 am discharge). Lovely loud thunder crack to follow. Similar loud thunder at 1:39 am.

Ride around local roads and Manor Park campus watching lightning moving further away to the S.E., east and N.E. although last thunder heard at 2:05 am and stars overhead with anvil to east receding after 2:15 am. Lightning continuing in London direction to after 3:15 am, although clear overhead with moon.

Further thunder to west at 3:37 am becoming more frequent (1-2 / min) but little lightning seen.

The best night of storms overall since 1st/2nd June 1999 (lasted all night with 39.5 mm rain) and lightning frequency and intensity similar to 2nd/3rd July 1999 (lasted an hour with little rain). The overall amount of lightning and thunder probably exceeded the 14th June 1977 storm - a vivid childhood memory. The amount of lightning seen in tonight's event could be the most ever seen in one go!

Great to have another successful event after my disaster with 14th June this year - feel much more satisfied and excited now - also know what an 'all-nighter' feels like now!

Attached photos taken at Hogs Back as main event was approaching between 1:10 am and 1:15 am.post-7417-0-25493300-1405654271_thumb.jppost-7417-0-78426400-1405654297_thumb.jp

• Like 3