Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spanish plume anyone? Storm and convective discussion 17th July Onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Wow - just got home from 3 hours at the clifftop/Hengistbury Head.  THAT. WAS. INSANE. 

And I agree with Luke Anthony - I'm sure I saw funnel clouds if not weak tornadoes on the back edge of that beast, lit up by lightning.

And what lightning!!  Never seen the like in this country.  From midnight as it made landfall the lightning was literally constant and with the base being so high the CG strikes were just spectacular.

What an exhilarating evening!  Here's for a reload tomorrow, and good luck to all those who are still waiting. 

• Like 3

Posted

Better than nothing still really decent best lightshow since last year with a chance of more tomorrow night and Saturday.

Aye not saying its not good I like to see it I just don't really call it a proper storm until its over head, but there was some good CG's to my east! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Humidity on the rise at an uncomfortable 17.4C with the temperature at 20C...

More cells now developing over the Channel too, long night ahead!

Edit: Flash of lightning then thunder, nothing shown on detector!

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 1

Posted

Humidity on the rise at an uncomfortable 17.4C with the temperature at 20C...

More cells now developing over the Channel too, long night ahead!

and that lightning to the East still viewable !!

• Like 1

Posted

Lightning detectors are going crazy! I really hope this can continue to hold its intensity as it pushes north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Lightning detectors are going crazy! I really hope this can continue to hold its intensity as it pushes north.

Can you see the flickering on the horizon yet in Derby? I must be 100 miles way from it nearly, and I'm seeing constant anvil top lightning!!

Posted

Very frequent lightning,heavy heavy rain and sky ripping thunder here in Surbiton right now:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Cells just popped out of nowhere here! Producing thunder and lightning, my luck has turned!

• Like 1

Posted

Had a elevated storm earlier this evening, lightning mainly infrequent great bolts, pretty pink too. not much rain here.

later went up to a viewpoint looking NE, recently got back. Was watching quite frequent distant flashes, and some bolts and occasional CG's from storms even when around the Bristol area!

Then this cell fired to my west and 'turned on' suddenly producing lightning for a while before dying.

Still the storm here was nothing compared to west earlier and east now, this was meant to be a western event not battering the SE and my uni..As long as the west can steal tomorrow night's events then it's fair perhaps! lol.. Won't work like that but definitely prepared to chase further east tomorrow night/Saturday..

Posted

Can you see the flickering on the horizon yet in Derby? I must be 100 miles way from it nearly, and I'm seeing constant anvil top lightning!!

I don't have a good view from where I live, being in the city and surrounded by houses etc. I am heading out now for some better viewpoints and to put myself into the path of these things.

Posted

Just been for a walk to Tescos for ice cream, and saw the first flashes to the east on my way there. By the time I came back out again it'd spread across the horizon- beautiful huge flashes silhouetting impressive storm clouds. Surprisingly though didn't hear a rumble of thunder till I got home, and now we're getting regular rumbles.

Right now I wish I lived at the top of a tower block for the view!

Posted

Im still over the moon that I saw a decent storm with frequent thunder and lightning hope for more tomorrow night and Saturday, just saw more lightning as I type but to my west now over Bristol channel area.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Can't believe having thought this would be too far west to get me here, that I will now be too far west and it'l slip to the east. Unless it does some quick building around Hereford, all the decent stuff will slip east of here! Joke.

Some of the reports are brilliant to read! I hope Friday night/Sat morning has something of equal or better intensity for me to chase :D Not expecting the current batch to reach here intact, but anything we do get will be a bonus as it won't leave any muck to inhibit future storms :)