William Grimsley

Fibre Optic Broadband

166 posts in this topic
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Something that surprises me with you folks posting your fibre speeds, is your poor latency?! I would be expecting to see 5ms or below for a fibre connection. 40ms on fibre is unnacceptable in my book. I'm getting 20ms on copper broadband, when testing from a server located 500 miles away.

I get 51

1486385175596828155.png

I'm using a wireless Lte broadband provider here in the Republic with decent pings despite the signal coming from 7kms away 

My luck with fibre is almost like an Easterly (I said *almost*) in that I live in the stretch of my road where fibre to the home connections stop 2 miles to the left from one exchange and a mile to the right on the other

cant complain with these speeds on this service though,I used only get 2Mb on my landline 

IMG_1010.PNG

8 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

I get 51

1486385175596828155.png

If that were me, i'd be on the phone to my ISP. I suspect there's a setting on your router that they disable by default which causes higher latency. It might sound trivial, but I would be refusing to pay my bill if my latency was 51ms on FO.

Just now, Mapantz said:

If that were me, i'd be on the phone to my ISP. I suspect there's a setting on your router that they disable by default which causes higher latency. It might sound trivial, but I would be refusing to pay my bill if my latency was 51ms on FO.

Thing is my speed is very consistent it's always above the advertised speed of 100mb

9 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Thing is my speed is very consistent it's always above the advertised speed of 100mb

Speed and latency are not linked to each other. It's all to do with getting a quick response from somewhere (a server)  that you send data packets to.
You may or may not play online games, but if you did, and you had a latency like that, you would be suffering all kinds of problems with responses to what you're doing. It can end up ruining your gaming experience!

You're probably not a gamer, so I don't expect it matters too much?! 

I mean, look at this..

2017-02-06.thumb.png.736623f4b96893e0090cbe43da2947dd.png

Good old cooper wires are showing less than half of your latency. Cherna-aggh.gif

IF and when I get FO, if i'm not getting a 3 or 4ms latency, someone will be having a bad day at the end of a telephone call. hehe

Edited by Mapantz
1 person likes this

On 11/7/2016 at 15:35, reef said:

Got my date for installation of FTTP. Should be in on 23rd November all being well. Decided to go with their router as the current one is only up to 150mbit on the wireless but the fibre will be 250mbit down, 30mbit up.

Its been a long wait!

Hi reef

How much are you paying per month/annum  if you don't mind me asking?

I have just spoken to BT, and according to them, FTTP on demand will be available for my location by December, as well as FTTC
This was the bit that made laugh and hang up..

Pricing will be £1,188.00 a year for the rental, and a further charge of £1000 because I would be in band C: 400m to 599m from the aggregation node. All that, excluding VAT. I'll be staying firmly on ADSL 2+ !

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Hi reef

How much are you paying per month/annum  if you don't mind me asking?

I have just spoken to BT, and according to them, FTTP on demand will be available for my location by December, as well as FTTC
This was the bit that made laugh and hang up..

Pricing will be £1,188.00 a year for the rental, and a further charge of £1000 because I would be in band C: 400m to 599m from the aggregation node. All that, excluding VAT. I'll be staying firmly on ADSL 2+ !

Not BT here of course but it's £54 a month for the 250/30 fibre with 350GB of data and the phone line included. Installation was free.

6 months on since installation I've been very happy with it. Rollout here has been slow due to it being FTTP but it is very much worth it.

Edited by reef

36 minutes ago, reef said:

Not BT here of course but it's £54 a month for the 250/30 fibre with 350GB of data and the phone line included. Installation was free.

6 months on since installation I've been very happy with it. Rollout here has been slow due to it being FTTP but it is very much worth it.

I wonder how BT are coming up with those prices? That's for 330/30 - no idea on bandwidth. I'd still need unlimited if and when FTTP is available. I'm doing 800GB to 1 TB a month on my 18/1 connection.

Turns out its 1.5TB on mine not 350GB, so pretty good. Though I can get unlimited for £62 a month.

I suppose as BT are mainly doing FTTC you pay through the nose for it to the premises.

BT is useless.

Stuck with Virgin coax to the property although they say it's fiber (A slight mis selling on their point) or BT infinity. No sign of fibre to the property in the foreseeable future.

Quick question ,need a new router ,any ideas on the best one to get up to say 200 quid .

http://press.which.co.uk/whichpressreleases/which-uncovers-bad-broadband-speeds-across-the-uk/

The Orkney Islands, Shetland Islands and Highland are the three Scottish local authority areas that have been ranked as the worst places in the UK for broadband speeds. Ryedale in Yorkshire and Purbeck in Dorset also finished in the bottom five, with the average recorded test in all those locations falling below 10mbps.

Says it all right there.

LOL I've lived in Ryedale for 6 years now and I can only just load up this forum most days. :angry:

Well at least virgin have fixed my single thread download speed. Never have admitted to changing anything though.