William Grimsley

Fibre Optic Broadband

166 posts in this topic

Hi there,I am wanting to know how many of you receive fibre optic broadband such as BT Infinity? I currently don't. But, I will be receiving it by December this year. Do you enjoy fibre optic broadband? What speeds do you get? If you have BT Infinity then I was curious of how much you would rate the service/speed and what speed you get?I will be interested to know your thoughts.William

To start with you'll get an up-to speed of 38mpbs most tend to get between 25mbps and 30mbps though it does depend really on how far you are away from the main station some get lower speeds some get higher eventually they may introduce Infinity 2 to your area which gives speeds of upto 76mbps I think some areas are also getting upto 300mbps.

Its almost a year since BT Fibre went live in Darlington and we still have Infinity 1 so Infinity 2 may take a while to arrive

In general people see to be happy with it its certainly much better than the ADSL offering thats for sure

To start with you'll get an up-to speed of 38mpbs most tend to get between 25mbps and 30mbps though it does depend really on how far you are away from the main station some get lower speeds some get higher eventually they may introduce Infinity 2 to your area which gives speeds of upto 76mbps I think some areas are also getting upto 300mbps.

Its almost a year since BT Fibre went live in Darlington and we still have Infinity 1 so Infinity 2 may take a while to arrive

In general people see to be happy with it its certainly much better than the ADSL offering thats for sure

Yeah, Infinity 2 will be a few years yet as Infinity 1 is not yet here. I am a few miles away from the exchange so will probably get about 20 Mbps would you say? I currently get about 5 Mbps on average.

I'm awaiting it too. They're doing the exchange boxes now but oddly, they've done a tiny village a mile away before they did here. They certainly didn't start off at the bottom level there, BT infinity 2 was put in, as a friend who lives there gets 70Mbps down and 16Mbps up. BT estimate 80mbps down and 20Mbps up here, which is realistic considering I'm less than 400 yards from the exchange box. They only estimate that get 16.5Mbps now, in reality I get 19Mbps.

If your speed is still pants with fiber optic, you can opt for FTTH. Generally, most people are using FTTC fiber, which means you will still be on copper wire from the roadside cabinet. You can pay to have fiber to your home (FTTH) which, as far as I know, goes through the sewer system, but it comes at a price, especially if you're far from the roadside cabinets.

Edited by Mapantz

Cant get it here but Ive got virgin

I think about 3 houses in the UK can get FTTH.

You can get a 100Mbps leased line:

http://business.bt.com/broadband-and-internet/leased-lines/?s_cid=btb_affil_awin_78888&awc=3042_1405081380_a7aa5d93810a624ff56ae69a0fe3b766

Just 12,000 quid a year. Oh yeah, and then add the VAT on.

There's a scheme in Norfolk (as in many other counties) to roll out Fibre to rural areas in the next couple of years that's supposed to cover 90% of properties. The website last had an update on new areas 87 days ago. My brother-in-law is a cable monkey for Openreach so I asked him whether the target was on schedule or even realistic.

He just laughed. :rolleyes:

im on virgin and can get 150mbps download if I wanted it..but stuck with the 100mbps..i get 100 or thereabouts if hardwired.. on my wireless I get between 80-85mbps.

I think about 3 houses in the UK can get FTTH.You can get a 100Mbps leased line:http://business.bt.com/broadband-and-internet/leased-lines/?s_cid=btb_affil_awin_78888&awc=3042_1405081380_a7aa5d93810a624ff56ae69a0fe3b766Just 12,000 quid a year. Oh yeah, and then add the VAT on.There's a scheme in Norfolk (as in many other counties) to roll out Fibre to rural areas in the next couple of years that's supposed to cover 90% of properties. The website last had an update on new areas 87 days ago. My brother-in-law is a cable monkey for Openreach so I asked him whether the target was on schedule or even realistic.He just laughed. :rolleyes:

Bit of an exaggeration on 3 homes, considering Virgin offer FTTH/P and GiglerThey offer FTTH to over 20k homes in Bournemouth.This is what is available..https://gigler.co.uk Edited by Mapantz

Bit of an exaggeration on 3 homes, considering Virgin offer FTTH/P and GiglerThey offer FTTH to over 20k homes in Bournemouth.This is what is available..https://gigler.co.uk

A tiny, tiny fraction of the UK can get it. And Virgin cable of any kind let alone FTTH isn't even available in King's Lynn: a town of 40-50,000 people!

Edited by Yarmy

"Gigler Business is currently only available over the UK’s largest Pure Fibre Network in Bournemouth."

Available to over 20,000 residents, and you think only 3 homes in the UK have FTTH? Okay.. :rolleyes:

Available to over 20,000 residents, and you think only 3 homes in the UK have FTTH? Okay.. :rolleyes:

20,000/60,000,000 = 0.03% of the residents in the UK

The point is you can't just get FTTH by simply paying for it (unless you want a 12 grand leased line). The vast majority of people in this country cannot get FTTH and will not be able to get it anytime soon. 

I'm not complaining, but it does occur to me you could run fibre to every house in the land for the same cost as a railway track that will get a few people from London to Birmingham slightly faster.

Edited by Yarmy
1 person likes this

20,000/60,000,000 = 0.0003% of the residents in the UK The point is you can't just get FTTH by simply paying for it (unless you want a 12 grand leased line). The vast majority of people in this country cannot get FTTH and will not be able to get it anytime soon.  I'm not complaining, but it does occur to me you could run fibre to every house in the land for the same cost as a railway track that will get a few people from London to Birmingham slightly faster.

You said 3 homes in the UK have it, that is simply false. Virgin offer it, they have been experimenting with it for four years.Many other companies offer it too, you can simply pay for it (subject to availability of course) despite what you think. They run it through sewer systems.My point is, thousands of homes across the UK have it, not 3.

I'm awaiting it too. They're doing the exchange boxes now but oddly, they've done a tiny village a mile away before they did here. They certainly didn't start off at the bottom level there, BT infinity 2 was put in, as a friend who lives there gets 70Mbps down and 16Mbps up. BT estimate 80mbps down and 20Mbps up here, which is realistic considering I'm less than 400 yards from the exchange box. They only estimate that get 16.5Mbps now, in reality I get 19Mbps.If your speed is still pants with fiber optic, you can opt for FTTH. Generally, most people are using FTTC fiber, which means you will still be on copper wire from the roadside cabinet. You can pay to have fiber to your home (FTTH) which, as far as I know, goes through the sewer system, but it comes at a price, especially if you're far from the roadside cabinets.

Mine will probably be FTTC but 5 Mbps around here is very good, down the road someone only got 1.35 Mbps!

You said 3 homes in the UK have it, that is simply false. Virgin offer it, they have been experimenting with it for four years.

Many other companies offer it too, you can simply pay for it (subject to availability of course) despite what you think. They run it through sewer systems.

My point is, thousands of homes across the UK have it, not 3.

You think I was being literally serious about 3 homes? Okay...

As of Jan 2013, FTTH was available to 199,000 homes (out of 26.4 million homes in the UK, about 0.75%) of which there was about an 8.5% take up rate (17000 odd).  But the definition of availability is 'Homes Passed' which is a bit dubious to say the least:

[blockquote]

"'Homes Passed' is the potential number of premises to which a Service Provider has capability to connect in a service area. Typically new service activation will require the installation and/or connection of a drop cable from the homes passed point (e.g. fiber-pedestal, manhole, chamber, utility-pole) to the premises, and the installation of subscriber premises equipment at the premises. This definition excludes premises that cannot be connected without further installation of substantial cable plant such as feeder and distribution cables (fiber) to reach the area in which a potential new subscriber is located."[/blockquote]

So potentially you could get it, but good luck finding someone to do it.

Edited by Yarmy

They are going to put one cabinet in the bigger village three miles away here.Anything much more than 1 mile from a cabinet probably won't get much better speeds than on normal ADSL, although if it were similar down but better than (typiclly 0.370mb) on up speed it would still be worth considering and I wouldn't be surprised if costs is comparable or less than ADSLIt will be like mobile phones round here, in that anyone missing out in the first roll out won't get a service for decades to come if ever.Since they are already proclaiming 90% coverage I wouldn't be surprised if it will be deemed perfectly OK to phase out ADSL after a while.I see Virgin already aren't taking on new ADSL customers, which suggests like the few remaining dial-uppers your options will shrink away to zero.

They are going to put one cabinet in the bigger village three miles away here.Anything much more than 1 mile from a cabinet probably won't get much better speeds than on normal ADSL, although if it were similar down but better than (typiclly 0.370mb) on up speed it would still be worth considering and I wouldn't be surprised if costs is comparable or less than ADSLIt will be like mobile phones round here, in that anyone missing out in the first roll out won't get a service for decades to come if ever.Since they are already proclaiming 90% coverage I wouldn't be surprised if it will be deemed perfectly OK to phase out ADSL after a while.I see Virgin already aren't taking on new ADSL customers, which suggests like the few remaining dial-uppers your options will shrink away to zero.

What is your download speed currently?

I have virgin and find it quite good, used to have BT that was fair to poor, both are expanding/upgrading their networks, LLU was the point it all opened up to the ADSL market for the others to make a go of it.

Virgin National (ADSL) is no longer taking new customers at present yes but they are retaining their current ones and I suspect infrastructure changes to the network as a whole (cable, copper and fibre) will see all the players changing their game over the next few years, have to wait for the prior before the latter can be implemented.

Im with BT Infinity 2 and get 70mb download, 18mb upload. My latency is very low which makes it excellent for gaming. Im rather fortunate because the copper line is fairly short because the cabinet is only up the road.

What is your download speed currently?

Similar to yours but it drops off badly most evenings due to contention they deem acceptable.

Yeah, Infinity 2 will be a few years yet as Infinity 1 is not yet here. I am a few miles away from the exchange so will probably get about 20 Mbps would you say? I currently get about 5 Mbps on average.

Yeah 20mbps sounds realistic you'll get fibre to the cabinet first

Open reach may then move your master socket to the room where the hub will be if needed as the installation is different they then fix the fibre modem to the wall next to the fibre master socket they can fit a Data Extension Kit cable if its within 30 meters

So it will look something like this

Posted Image

Your modem will then be placed near by free standing

Open reach may then move your master socket to the room where the hub will be if needed as the installation is different they then fix the fibre modem to the wall next to the fibre master socket they can fit a Data Extension Kit cable if its within 30 meters

Posted Image

The picture you posted is not for Infinity 2. I have infinity 2 and it is not set up like that. The picture you posted is the set up for FTTH.

Just add when BT Open reach install BT Infinity (FTTC) they only replace the faceplate on the master socket. You then have one connection for your phone and the other is an RJ11 connection. The RJ11 goes into my Modem and then I connect the modem to the Homehub via ethernet cable. The new Homehub 5 does not need a modem as this is built into the router.

If an extension is required they won't move your master socket. They simple run a RJ11 cable from the master socket into the room where you want your modem/Router set up. They won't exceed however 30m.

Just add I make my own RJ11, RJ45 cables as its very easy to do yourself.

Lucky to get 2MB here in the sticks, it will be infinity by the time we get infinity!

Posted Image

Yeah, the master socket is right next to the router, so I have no trouble then. What do you mean by "free standing"?

My parents still live in the village where I grew up and you cannot do much on the internet there apart from emails and browse web pages, once the pages start to get fancy it slows right down and streaming/youtube etc are impossible to do.  Even a simple thing like trying to download e-books time out.  Did a speed test a few weeks ago and was getting 0.18 down but 1.2 up which was a surprise.

Edited by Jax