Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The remarkable heatwave of late September-early October 2011

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
6 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

It’ll be a much much different feeling 1st October 9 years later. Sunny intervals forecast tomorrow here but highs of only 12°C and a chilly night ahead.

Funnily enough I don’t remember that heatwave at all. I remember the warmth in September 2011 but not in October 2011.

I remember it, same spell as Sept! just carried on a few days into 0ct, Monday 3rd unusual too, hot westerly and clear sky, but was the sign of the change on Tues 4th

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 17/08/2014 at 09:05, Weather-history said:

October 2001 has not stuck in the memory at all. The only thing that I remember connected with that month is that John Kettley did a long range annual forecast for 2001 and went for a cold October at the start of the year. Besides that I can't remember anything about that month and have to refer to my weather diary entries and the forecasts I taped from that month.

Looks like a forecast from the 80’s! Amazing how much picture and audio quality has improved in the last two decades!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
5 minutes ago, MP-R said:

When we refer to the warmth of September 2011, we're basically talking about the last 3-4 days that continued on to be the warmth of October, so the same spell of weather. The rest of September prior to that, although mild, was pretty unsettled and often wet.

Funny because I don’t remember September 2011 being wet at all. Just generally dry and sunny and quite warm with some cooler and cloudier days as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
2 hours ago, Thundershine said:

It was still 20°C at midnight in a town at 1,000ft above sea level on 1st October. That's quite something. That's quite something indeed.

I remember a similar period in late September /early October 1985 which held the October record previous to 2011.Many places in the east of the country had their hottest day of the year on 1st October such was the poor summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

It was a great last taste of summer that even eastern Ireland got a bit of for the last few days of September 2011. 25.7C at Phoenix Park on 28 September was the warmest day all year in 2011. That wasn't to last though as persistent heavy rain then occurred on 30th Sep and 1st Oct with up to 40mm on 1st Oct.  Can see that rain that lingered over me in the CFS reanalysis. 

CFSR_1_2011093018_4.thumb.png.3698814fc41718bde9cb970718af757e.pngCFSR_1_2011100118_4.thumb.png.1846c26e8a568138c246b241d769351e.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Funny because I don’t remember September 2011 being wet at all. Just generally dry and sunny and quite warm with some cooler and cloudier days as well.

Admittedly we do remember the better days. Atlantic weather in particular is quite inmemorable, though I can tie many events to the weather that month including a washout on the 5th/6th, a notable game on the 12th, driving on the M4 in torrential rain around that date, and a weekend of downpours on the 17th/18th. 

I returned to uni on the 25th though and from then on, the final week was indeed largely sunny and increasingly hot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Remember this spell well as I recorded 80f on 1st October.

Posted

What a spell of weather it was despite it not lasting as long as down south. I remember being on a residential outdoor activities trip with the school in the Scottish highlands when it took place it wasn’t as good as down south however. One thing that stuck out was how mild and humid it was at night. I remember it being only 15.C overnight one night which in the highlands in September is almost unthinkable it was 18.C overnight at Altnaharra at some point as well. The highest my station in Perth recorded was 25.6.C on the 30th which was also the warmest day of the year. Think it got to 24.C up at Dalguise where I was. Phenomenal spell and amazingly good weather for outdoor activities especially for the highlands. Unfortunately the 1st October brought a rapid change with heavy rain and a much cooler feel.