Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm and convective discussion 7th July Onwards

Posted

Odd rumble of thunder some heavy rain nothing special tho

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Nothing much at work in Honiton today but a bit of rain fell. Only one torrential downpour during the daytime back here at home, I wasn't really expecting much today and it looks like E of here as done very well today, I hope some of the storm starved have been surprised today as you would of been extremely unlucky to not get something today.

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted

Heavy rain just kicked off here again. Very dark and I wouldn't be surprised if we get some action...fingers crossed.

Had sports day at school day and really thought we'd have to call it off as the clouds started to build. Got a great view of the cap breaking and the skies darkening. Amazingly not a drop of rain has fell today! Very warm and muggy out there with a fair breeze at times when the showers got close.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Another dead duck now brightening up probably for a nice fresh sunny evening as the clouds break

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

No storms here, just a few decent downpours with hail. The fact that the forecasts yesterday were catastrophically wrong, it made it more interesting.

Bournemouth was supposed to be mainly dry, instead, it gets flooded.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Derby seems to have missed out on anything convective over the past couple of weeks, starting to feel storm starved now :D.

Today, like the last couple of days, is a day whereby chasing is impossible and it's a case of hoping a storm comes to me. I decided a while ago that pulse storms = wasted petrol and disappointment 95% of the time.

The coming weekend is looking interesting from a convective point of view.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Somewhere south of Weston-super-Mare must be getting pummelled as I've just heard a thud of thunder from that direction and it's miles away!

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Few rumbles of Thunder heard now to the North of MK, heading this way, sky is black looking :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Few rumbles of Thunder heard now to the North of MK, heading this way, sky is black looking :D

I can see the dark sky your way and the cell on radar. BUT I think it will miss me. Everything is going round me in a circle.

*kicks a box* grrrrrrr :diablo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Same here, Dami. It is splitting and swerving around me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Somewhere south of Weston-super-Mare must be getting pummelled as I've just heard a thud of thunder from that direction and it's miles away!

That's interesting, nothing shown on ATD.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Same here, Dami. It is splitting and swerving around me!

I have never lived anywhere like it. I would of taken a film of it, a patch of blue sky over my house and cloud building every where else. You couldn't make it up really. Had sun most of the day. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

I just heard thunder here and its coming from the east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!

I have never lived anywhere like it. I would of taken a film of it, a patch of blue sky over my house and cloud building every where else. You couldn't make it up really. Had sun most of the day. 

Do you live in Braintree? Snap! :unknw:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

One close flash-bang here and 20 minutes of torrential rain. Well job done for the garden.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Just had a mini monsoon here. Seems to be a line of cells tracking right over me at the moment. Only one CG seen, but the cell that just went past had a small gust front and plenty of mammatus. Bit unexpected given the lack of anything at all today although it would appear to tie up very well with WRF NMM charts. Heading towards Chelmsford I would guess.

Posted

That's interesting, nothing shown on ATD.

The detectors don't pick up every flash of lightning. I have recently started using the below linked detector and thought it was excellent, however today it picked up zero strikes when I witnessed 6 or 7 a few miles SW of my location around 15.00 and the same storm remained active as it headed SE with no strikes detected!!

Today the NW detector seemed spot on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Yeah, these 'air mass' thunderstorm setups (i.e. weak CAPE/weak shear) aren't the best, though can still be good if you happen to be caught underneath a storm. But not worth the fuel, as you say.  Just need to get some hot, moist air pumped up from the south to develop those moderate/large CAPE environments, ideally with a strong SW/W mid to upper jet overlapping it all to bring storms of the rotating variety lol.  

Not been a bad year so far for here though, I must say. Certainly nowhere near as quiet as some of the years prior.  

Absolutely, I cannot complain about the year so far. In Derby itself there has been a few storms but when I take the storms I have caught whilst out into consideration also then 2014 has seen more storms by this point than any year since I started chasing back in 2004. Last year by comparison I had only managed to catch a couple of rumbles by this point in the year, but then the poor start was made up for with some real good storms late July and early August. And this period is still ahead of us so all to play for.