Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What Do You Class As A Storm?

Lauren

What do you class as a storm?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What do you class as a storm?

• A single flash and rumble in the near vicinity/overhead.
    • A few flash and rumbles, but they don't have to be overhead.
    • A few flashes and rumbles but they have to be overhead.
    • At least a 10 minute activity period with regular flashes and rumbles that must be near or overhead.
    • At least 20 minutes of heavy activity that just be near or overhead.
    • More than these choices.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

As a member of the NSC (again!) I have often wondered what other people define as a storm which would get them out of the NSC, or just in general what do people class as a storm? For clarity, we're talking thunderstorms.

For me it has to be overhead or nearabouts with at least 10 minutes of regular activity (say at least a flash per minute). Having said that the most I've had this year was a distant flash and rumble! I'm wondering how close my definition is to other peoples. What do you class as a 'storm'? Please select the answer closest to your definition.

Edited by Lauren
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

For me it would have to be at least 20 minutes of heavy activity near or overhead! I have managed one such storm like this, this year, which is pretty pathetic! :rolleyes:

Yes, but there is more than one type of storm - there are thunder storms, rain storms, wind storms and snow storms in the form of blizzards.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes, but there is more than one type of storm - there are thunder storms, rain storms, wind storms and snow storms in the form of blizzards.

All I get is 'mainly dry with sunny spells' storms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Got to be half an hour or more of lightning from the same cell for it to be a storm in my book.

Get frustrated when people say "we've had a storm" when there was only one flash. Trade descriptions!

Posted

Quite true Mike. I class being in a force 12 in mid Atlantic as a pretty hefty storm,

Posted

In reality, it is most likely to be first choice category but will have rapidly built to 5th category levels by the time it appears in print in the convective thread. :diablo::wink:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

A single rumble, while qualifying as a "day with thunder" in my weather records, would not suffice to get me out of the No Storms Club.  However, by any other measure I could be seen as pretty lenient- a few rumbles of thunder is generally enough to make me consider myself an ex-member.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

A few rumbles and a few flashes are usually enough for me to exit the No Storms Club - providing the storm is overhead or a mile or less away. I don't count distant storms - admittedly they will be recorded as a thunder day using Met Office standards, but certainly not an overhead storm, which is all I'm bothered about.

For example - we had a very isolated cell on the last day of April this year, which included several claps of thunder and flashes of lightning, including one very close - loud enough to trigger car alarms. It was short-lived, but overhead - so was enough for me to be happy.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1