Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 30/6/2014 Onwards - Covering July.

Posted

Well virtually no movement from GFS or UKMO towards ECM this morning, and Gem has moved quite a long way towards these two. No proper cool down at all in the south and quickly turning hot again by this time next week. I can't see anything but a climbdown from Ecm later this morming now - its previous runs look very isolated.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Looking for Autumnal after this week with showers or longer spells of rain likely.Hopefully this will last a few weeks and end what has been a pretty poor summer.

Edited by Polar Maritime
Can we try and add a little substance and Model evidence to back up sweeping statements like this. Thanks.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Well GFS is showing the warm/hot weather persisting well into next week with also the threat of some heavy downpours.

Scotland & Ireland are always looking cooler and wetter, especially next week.

Looking good still for some more Summer weather.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by SteveB

Posted

Ncikos to be honest this year has been a pretty decent summer. Lots of settled weather and warm temps. I can't see where you coming from regarding unsettled weather next week. The models are showing it warming up again next week.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

I do recall about 2 weeks ago one particular poster wrote off the last third of July. Hmmm.....

hmm... and if you read what "that poster" said, youd see they so far they arent wrong. a week of widespread heat doesnt yet equal the great long hot summers that they highlighted in their post.

we are a long way from getting anything like a 76, 83, 95, etc. although there is time yet and if the current trend continues, as the models suggest, 'hot' weather isnt too far away albeit indispersed with cooler interludes.

Looking for Autumnal after this week with showers or longer spells of rain likely.Hopefully this will last a few weeks and end what has been a pretty poor summer

Anyway time for work :angry:

are you sure youre viewing this years models?  :D  i cant see anything 'autumnal' outside a few rogue runs in fi. and im a pessimist! whilst the models are struggling to get a grip on what will follow this current hot spell, its looking average at worst. as others have said, predictions of an atlantic incursion have failed to materialise or become pattern changing features. whilst we are unlikely to get an august like 95, long hot and sunny, high pressure seems to be never too far off and i see no reason atm why the summers current pattern of high pressure dominance bringing spells of heat/sun with cooler fresher spells shouldnt continue into august.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008

The ECM ens 6-10 500mb anomaly has a swathe of cold air to the north, a ridge eastern Europe, warm air in the western Atlantic and the usual cutoff low, A general westerly flow with generally unsettled surface pattern with temps around average.

Could you please have a go at reconciling what's shown on the links you posted, knocker, with what some other runs have tended still to show? Haven't time to update myself with all the very latest output this morning (off to work v soon) but while I'm inclined to agree with Hathers post (just above), and mushy's too,  for now, I'm also realistic enough to accept less good news when it's there. 

Still, what you posted, especially the bit I've bolded,  looked a little out of line with other output to me -- explain please.

Edited by William of Walworth

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

GFS this morning continues to show cooler/fresher weather for around the turn of the Month. Especially for the North.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well the ECM to a degree has backed off this morning, it still shows the most progressive solution of pushing cooler air through the UK, but it now also brings the Azores high into play and settles things down for next week.

Posted Image

I still think the ECM is overdoing this and is pushing too much energy south east when it should be going over the top. The other models pretty much all agree with each other up to day 6

Posted Image

The GFS/GEM are very similar to this.

The GFS and GEM keep the very warm conditions going through the whole of next week and into the start of August. Both wanting to develop an Atlantic trough to tug warmer air up from the south.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 3

Posted

Could you please have a go at reconciling what's shown on the links you posted, knocker, with what some other runs have tended still to show? Haven't time to update myself with all the very latest output this morning (off to work v soon) but while I'm inclined to agree with Hathers post (just above), and mushy's too,  for now, I'm also realistic enough to accept less good news when it's there. 

Still, what you posted, especially the bit I've bolded,  looked a little out of line with other output to me -- explain please.

WoW I don't  tend to look on it as good or bad news, it's immaterial to me and rather pointless. So I tend to generally just look at he ECM with the occasional sojourns elsewhere and don't really spend much time dissecting other model outputs as well. as It seems to me others cover this quite well and too much of this leads to a lot of repetition. You have probably gathered I'm not really a model thread person so apologies if this fails to answer your query.

Edited by knocker

Posted

hmm... and if you read what "that poster" said, youd see they so far they arent wrong. a week of widespread heat doesnt yet equal the great long hot summers that they highlighted in their post. we are a long way from getting anything like a 76, 83, 95, etc. although there is time yet and if the current trend continues, as the models suggest, 'hot' weather isnt too far away albeit indispersed with cooler interludes.

I'm not worried about "great long hot summers" and i havent used that term.I'm enjoying this pretty decent summer - i think that's the term i used. nuff said.

Posted

Can we please "only" discuss Model Output in here as per thread title. There are other threads for moaning and banter here http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/79882-model-banter-moans-and-ramps-springsummer-2014/page-27#entry3012647

Many Thanks, Please continue.

PM.

• Like 3

Posted

Looking at the ECM HRES for next week and it is going for relatively settled conditions. The anomaly still has a swathe of colder air to the north with the Bermuda high dominating the western Atlantic with an arm stretching eastwards. The jet swivels around this and then south of the UK so an incursion of air from Europe cannot be ruled out but one has to say looks fairly settled. Temps around average or slightly above.

Just to add it's been a great summer in these parts. Must be down to the MJO. :shok:

post-12275-0-52468600-1406099677_thumb.p

post-12275-0-81917500-1406099691_thumb.p

post-12275-0-91340800-1406099700_thumb.p

post-12275-0-45373900-1406099709_thumb.p

post-12275-0-78986900-1406099720_thumb.p

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted

Ecm has virtually backed off the troughy run it had yesterday and is starting to follow the ukmo/gfs of keeping these very warm conditions going!!expect to see further improvements from ecm this evening!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

With winds shown to turn more westerly on UKMO this morning the north could be affected by a bit more cloud at times early next week but for most UKMO shows it to remain mainly dry though temperatures will probably fall back slightly especially in the south

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

GEM has moved towards UKMO this morning

ECM though still doesn't agree with the above and turns things more unsettled with temperatures a lot lower than of late and an increased risk of showers, GFS has also backed away now with pressure falling early next week increasing the risk of rain / showers

Posted

The ECM ens is much the same as the last run with cold air on the anomaly chart to the N and NE with the warm air in the western Atlantic.

Should lead to fairly settled HP conditions from an arm of the Bermuda high to the west but possible a breakdown to more unsettled conditions at the end of the run. Slightly above average temps.

post-12275-0-31656800-1406106728_thumb.p

post-12275-0-23331000-1406106736_thumb.p

post-12275-0-78491700-1406106744_thumb.p

post-12275-0-86660500-1406106751_thumb.p

post-12275-0-33669100-1406106759_thumb.p

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

With winds shown to turn more westerly on UKMO this morning the north could be affected by a bit more cloud at times early next week but for most UKMO shows it to remain mainly dry though temperatures will probably fall back slightly especially in the south GEM has moved towards UKMO  ECM though still doesn't agree with the above and turns things more unsettled with temperatures a lot lower than of late and an increased risk of showers, GFS has also backed away now with pressure falling early next week increasing the risk of rain / showers

The GFS 06z run retains the high pressure early next week with temps in the south in the mid twentiespost-9962-0-94573200-1406110787_thumb.jppost-9962-0-76999700-1406110805_thumb.jpLow pressure does make an appearance from the North West later in the week, still a while away obviouslypost-9962-0-93772500-1406111740_thumb.jp
  • Like 1

Posted

Comparing the GFS and ECM anomaly charts sees a very similar picture but then wind the GFS on a bit. Well yes................................

post-12275-0-61381600-1406118437_thumb.p

post-12275-0-87354500-1406118445_thumb.p

post-12275-0-24920600-1406118455_thumb.p

post-12275-0-19984700-1406118701_thumb.p

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

well, i guess this is the type of chart that was referred to as 'autumnal'

post-2797-0-31364600-1406118896_thumb.gi

the gfs in fi has been quick to bring in the atlantic, indeed it predicted such a scenario after last weekends storms, we now should be in an atlantic driven regime.  it didnt happen, we are enjoying some splendid warm sunny weather. so until theres solid support from the anomalies and ecm, im not fussed about an fi prediction like the gfs suggests on its 06z run. one day itll be right, and we have had a run of poor augusts, who knows it might be right this time. but its too soon to get too downhearted by it.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

It's seems the settled pattern will see a brief interruption at the end of this week.

The forecasted shallow trough comes through the UK over the weekend bringing a bit of a change off the Atlantic.

post-2026-0-06897400-1406124464_thumb.pn

We can see of the T84hrs fax a fairly weak front coming east and this will bring some patchy rain or a few showers through with it but a lot of areas will see very little.It will feshen things up as slightly cooler Atlantic air moves in from the west.

post-2026-0-53036500-1406124581_thumb.gipost-2026-0-65962900-1406124634_thumb.pn

We then see pressure building across the country again afterwards so conditions soon returning to fine and settled for a while.

In fact much of next week looks fine and dry for much of the country with temperatures on the rise again especially further south where mid-high 20's C look likely again by mid-week onwards..

post-2026-0-50687000-1406125795_thumb.gi

The far north appears to be the exception again as Atlantic fronts brush across there from time to time with some occasional cloud and rain and cooler temperatures. 

Just a hint from the mean charts this morning of the high retreating west towards day 10 with an approaching trough from the north west but it's early days yet and this is something to monitor over the next few runs.

For now though it seems the decent Summer for many of us goes on for another week or so with just that short blip to come at the weekend.

• Like 7

Posted

Massive differences on this gfs run earlier on!!more amplified and much cooler weather on the way from sunday!!eat my words from this morning about the ecm!!looke more like the gfs and maybe even the ukmo are gona backtrack!!its ridiculous really when you see changes at just 72 hours its really poor from the models!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Massive differences on this gfs run earlier on!!more amplified and much cooler weather on the way from sunday!!eat my words from this morning about the ecm!!looke more like the gfs and maybe even the ukmo are gona backtrack!!its ridiculous really when you see changes at just 72 hours its really poor from the models!!

The UKMO isn't out yet (at the time of this post anyway).

Don't worry about individual ops. Wait for the ensembles.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

UKMO seems to have pushed the high further west this afternoon dry for most on Monday but some showers for the far north with it turning breezier as well on Tuesday

t96 850's unavailable at the time of posting

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

UKMO seems to have pushed the high further west this afternoon dry for most on Monday but some showers for the far north with it turning breezier as well on Tuesday

t96 850's unavailable at the time of posting

Posted ImagePosted Image

Well this is a bit more like the old days, with the ECM out on its own at T72 and the other models ending up with egg on their face. All models including GEM taking lower pressure SE across some part of the country on Sunday/Monday. Will make a big difference to temperatures next week: low 20s instead of high 20s.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Well this is a bit more like the old days, with the ECM out on its own at T72 and the other models ending up with egg on their face. All models including GEM taking lower pressure SE across some part of the country on Sunday/Monday. Will make a big difference to temperatures next week: low 20s instead of high 20s.

Yep, despite this apparent change, next week temps still look pleasant for the time of year, above average for southern England according to GFS

post-9962-0-58905400-1406138666_thumb.gi

Edited by Jezzer
  • Like 2