Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Highest maxima predictions 2014

Posted

Not sure if a similar thread has been posted, but I can't see one, and as we are properly into the summer season I thought it a good time to post one seeking people's predictions for highest maximum temperature this year.

We have a coldest minimum thread for winter..

Could someone post the highest max achieved so far. I think it is 27 degrees but not sure..

My guess will be 32 degrees in Gravesend or Heathrow. 32 degrees is likely to be achieved at least once every other year in these locations.

What is the highest max so far at Heathrow? When was the last time 30 degrees wasn't achieved in any given year at Heathrow.

It would be good to hear people's thoughts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Why are those locations particularly 'hot'?

I'm going 34C in Gravesend,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

35,1ºc! still a lot summer to go =)

I think the lowest maximum temp of Heathrow in one year is like 27ºc i need to check

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

31.3c at Charlwood sometime in August from a plume. 6th August i'll say.

Posted

Well i am going for 29.3 just because  i think high pressure will be more dominant to the west of the uk mainly,so on the wrong side for heat to bulid. :closedeyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Not sure if a similar thread has been posted, but I can't see one, and as we are properly into the summer season I thought it a good time to post one seeking people's predictions for highest maximum temperature this year. We have a coldest minimum thread for winter.. Could someone post the highest max achieved so far. I think it is 27 degrees but not sure.. My guess will be 32 degrees in Gravesend or Heathrow. 32 degrees is likely to be achieved at least once every other year in these locations. What is the highest max so far at Heathrow? When was the last time 30 degrees wasn't achieved in any given year at Heathrow. It would be good to hear people's thoughts.

The 27C was in Cupar in Fife a couple of weeks ago. I will go for a high of 34.5C in Gravesend later in July.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

I'll go for 31c in August. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

The last sub 30 deg max was in 1993, a max of 29.7 deg and is the only one since 1981[33 years]

Interesting as there were 5 sub 30s between 1972 and 1981!!!!

1922 was the earliest date of the year to reach the highest temp giving 32.8 deg on 22nd of may at Camden

1926 was the latest date giving 32.2 deg on 19th September also at Camden

just as a token in 1965 the hottest day in Whitby was 25 deg on the 29th of MARCH......yes march!!!!!

• Like 2

Posted

Thanks for the responses. Not often somewhere in Scotland is leading the pack...

As I thought its been a long time since Heathrow failed to see 30 degrees in any given year.

Southerly plumes and high pressure overhead, or to the east/northeast/southeast/south usually deliver maxes of 30 degrees to SE England. Southerly plumes are more likely in July and August than June. September can pack a late summer punch as well, so plenty of time left for 30 degrees to be achieved.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Thanks for the responses. Not often somewhere in Scotland is leading the pack...

As I thought its been a long time since Heathrow failed to see 30 degrees in any given year.

Southerly plumes and high pressure overhead, or to the east/northeast/southeast/south usually deliver maxes of 30 degrees to SE England. Southerly plumes are more likely in July and August than June. September can pack a late summer punch as well, so plenty of time left for 30 degrees to be achieved.

Scotland last took the hottest day of the year in 1978

Also strange as Scotland was hottest in 1977 also!!!!!

Posted

just as a token in 1965 the hottest day in Whitby was 25 deg on the 29th of MARCH......yes march!!!!!

March 1965 also saw a low of -21.7C on the 3rd, giving that calendar month a temperature range of 46.7C! Incidentally, that low was the coldest of the entire year, so in many places that one month must have had both the coldest and warmest temperatures of the year! Got to love the variety of March; no other month is capable of both bitter cold and genuine warmth to such an extent.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Hmm..

The fact we've yet to breach 30C by July 10th suggests to me that won't hit 35C+.

The fact June has been reasonable suggests there will be hot spell at some point (and close to the thermal maxima most likely) so we will hit 30C.

I will go for 31-33C between July 20th and July 30th, also between August 10th and August 20th. 

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

32c in south east england first week of August.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Heathrow records on average 4.2 days above 86F/30C a year.. not great but it's better than nothing! I think nowadays it would be almost impossible to not achieve it in a year.. since 1993 when it last didn't happen the UHI has become even larger and our climate has warmed slightly with the average July max at Heathrow now 23.5C

Apparently the average 'highest max' in a year at Heathrow is 33.2C/92F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

It does seem to me we are struggling to reach any notable maxima so far this year. All because the HP out west refuses to move East. Not promising signs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

31.3C, at Cambridge at the end of July. One southerly plume from out of the blue.

Why? Because I'm in Wales that week and a set up like that guarantees heat and sunshine for my location whilst providing a tonne of rain for my holiday location. Sods law basically.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

We hit the peak temperature in early August last year.  Still too early to say we are going to have a cool summer based on the 10 day forecast just shown on the BBC News channel that forecasts up to July 12. 

I will take a punt at 32.5C.  I don't know what the average high temp for the UK is each year but I imagine, it is close to that figure?

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see

31.3C, at Cambridge at the end of July. One southerly plume from out of the blue.

Why? Because I'm in Wales that week and a set up like that guarantees heat and sunshine for my location whilst providing a tonne of rain for my holiday location. Sods law basically.

Going by Met Office stats, it appears that Wales and SW England again had the sunniest Weather in June, which is a common theme over many recent summers, this trend tends to reverse into august alas for us, but good news for you SE ers.

It has even been pretty dry with the grass verges starting to turn white, normally the sign of imminent rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

I think we may not see 30-31c all summer and then in September it will happen!! Dont know why, its just my gut speaking!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

This summer has the making of a hot spell so 32c London last week of July.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

It does seem to me we are struggling to reach any notable maxima so far this year. All because the HP out west refuses to move East. Not promising signs.

Well the 80F mark was broken today (27.7C) which is a start :)