Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm and Convective Discussion 23rd June Onwards

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Definitely looks unlikely this evening anyway with most of the showers heading N of me.

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted

I think unless you happen to live in Cornwall, you'll have to wait until tomorrow for anything thundery. Showers losing their intensity as they approach Devon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Why do I feel that London, the SE and East Anglia will mostly miss out again?

No idea! I did have a storm on Monday but small potatoes compared to the fun and games across the midlands and south the other week. The significance of the 28th June last year is still a mystery....or 27th, or 29th, or on which date whatever happened, happened....

Posted

Why do I feel that London, the SE and East Anglia will mostly miss out again?

That's because "The Triangle" lives even though Captain Shortwave has moved south.  Your storm shield now covers most of Essex Suffolk and Norfolk

• Like 1

Posted

That's because "The Triangle" lives even though Captain Shortwave has moved south.  Your storm shield now covers most of Essex Suffolk and Norfolk

And my bit of London, too, I suspect.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Just had some rain here, could smell it before i looked. Poked head out door and it really smells rainy out there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

No idea! I did have a storm on Monday but small potatoes compared to the fun and games across the midlands and south the other week. The significance of the 28th June last year is still a mystery....or 27th, or 29th, or on which date whatever happened, happened....

Both monday and Tuesday were pretty reasonable for Norwich imo. Definitely those in the nsc would have appreciated it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

And my bit of London, too, I suspect.

Add bedford into that too please...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Met Office quite generously splashing the thunderstorm symbols over us tomorrow. Lets hope they are on to something - a nice early Birthday present!

Posted

Don't often see precip charts like this.

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/euro4/2014/06/26/basis12/ukuk/prec/14062715_2612.gif

Some very large rainfall totals possible tomorrow especially across the Midlands.

• Like 1

Posted

can I put a very narrow apex into that triangle and add south Cumbria too please !.........

You can have my part of the triangle, i've not done to bad here so far this year, obviously i'd always want more but i can't complain.

Tomorrow has the potential for some for some fun in a small zone around here, so will be watching with a keen eye.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Yes, but it would be dynamic rainfall from a weather system as opposed to a shower...i think. Showers are always convective though.

Ah I know I'm replying a bit late, I missed what the discussion was about more to the point the word 'shower' rather than rain or precipitation. All showers are from convection.

Oh but.. On a fun note..

I can create a non convective shower in my house. In fact I got a room that is dedicated to a non-convective shower! I can even adjust the temperature :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Radar watching could be interesting come pm tomorrow http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/map/gcqf2sb4e#?zoom=8&locId=350447&map=SignificantWeather&lon=-1.67&lat=52.30&fcTime=1403827200

Gone a little over the top with them thunderstorm symbols methinks

post-11006-0-04000700-1403820055_thumb.j

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted

I understand. Sorry, I'm really not with it today. LOL :D

I have some sympath William, I get what you mean, not all rain is seen as aggressive, warm, viewable on the horizon as the immediate result of convection.... Sometimes we are under rain laden sky's, for hours on end of solid light rain, not a sign of convection anywhere..... Obviously the rain was convected to up there at some point, some where, but it's not generally classed as convective rainfall by the general public, we class convective rainfall as stuff that has been sucked up off the land/sea locally and then dumped down on us just up the road!!!! Not general, damp, dull, rain that was put up there in the sky miles and miles away!!!! Is that what you mean William?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

I have some sympath William, I get what you mean, not all rain is seen as aggressive, warm, viewable on the horizon as the immediate result of convection.... Sometimes we are under rain laden sky's, for hours on end of solid light rain, not a sign of convection anywhere..... Obviously the rain was convected to up there at some point, some where, but it's not generally classed as convective rainfall by the general public, we class convective rainfall as stuff that has been sucked up off the land/sea locally and then dumped down on us just up the road!!!! Not general, damp, dull, rain that was put up there in the sky miles and miles away!!!! Is that what you mean William?

I too see what William is on about. However, the conditions you are describing is the perfect explanation of what its like here 2/3 of the year. But, I quote from www.weather-climate.org.uk 

"There are three main ways by which uplift of air can occur: convection, front and orographic (mountain) uplift. In each case, the rising air is forced to cool by expansion, releasing condensation first as cloud, and if uplift and cooling continues, as rain, hail or snow."

So technically this means that the conditions we are thinking of aren't actually convective.

It's interesting though, the boundaries of each piece of meteorological terminology. I'm going to stop now before this post goes so far off topic that I'm talking about how to cook..  :blink2:

• Like 1

Posted

Something quite beefy heading in from the SW. I hope it doesn't weaken but convection should help to sustain it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

looks less like showers and more like bands of rain of course I could be mistaken

but the forecast looks less bad for tomorrow than it did yesterday which means I've really only got the next 12 hours or so to manage

and it won't be raining all of that time but I am still quite nervous

Edited by Gordon Webb

Posted

That's exactly what I meant. Except in the form of showers not as a rain band.

Posted

That's exactly what I meant. Except in the form of showers not as a rain band.

I think those of us who are picky about terminology would probably describe that as intermittent rain rather than showers.

From the radar, it looks as though the first element of today's threatened onslaught has already hit the south-west.

• Like 2

Posted

Radar watching could be interesting come pm tomorrow http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/map/gcqf2sb4e#?zoom=8&locId=350447&map=SignificantWeather&lon=-1.67&lat=52.30&fcTime=1403827200

Gone a little over the top with them thunderstorm symbols methinks

Posted ImageCapture.JPG

yep the thunderstorm symbol does seem too liberally spread

Posted

I think those of us who are picky about terminology would probably describe that as intermittent rain rather than showers.

From the radar, it looks as though the first element of today's threatened onslaught has already hit the south-west.

I remember a day like this been forecast some years ago turned out the rain from the sw moved that slowly and it stayed rather dull all day that by 3pm the forecast had been significantly altered of course I'm probably hoping more than expecting

Posted

I hope they miss your neck of the woods, for your sake Gordon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Such is the nature of showers, as is so often said, some will get them, some won't.

Oh and by the way Crepuscular Ray, to take a word from your last post but one..."onslaught"??????

Really? I'm on to you. Although you neglected to mention "human sacrifices...dogs and cats living together...mass hysteria" you have just about provided enough evidence for me to state that:

You are Nathan Rao and I claim my five pounds.

• Like 1