Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm and Convective Discussion 23rd June Onwards

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

No organised storms materialised here in Dijon this afternoon. Just thundery showers in one of which I got soaked going for the bus. Most of my visit to the lake was spent in picnic shelters or under trees! A couple of distant CG strikes, some loud rumbles and overhead flashes. The hills got all the T&L as I suggested they would. The nicest thing was the huge raindrops bouncing into the lake and the waterfowl having a bonanza day...

• Like 1

Posted

One of the lovely hangovers of the stormy humidity is that there are lots of mozzies. In my PJs and just been bitten twice and developing nice lumps - who knows how they get in! Mozzies are all over France so bring some bee friendly repellent with you - citronella, bog myrtle...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Courtesy of Steven Case on the south coast.

post-15177-0-14163800-1404086908_thumb.j

Courtesy of Lawrie Jordan in Derbyshire.

post-15177-0-98848600-1404086957_thumb.j

Courtesy of Sarah Lou Bainbridge in Awsworth, Nottinghamshire.

post-15177-0-68084000-1404087016_thumb.j

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days
Captain shortwave, on 29 Jun 2014 - 21:07, said:

Got nothing thunder wise over the last 3 days. As they say.... you win some, you lose some.

Not sure when the next big storm chance will be, there are showers forecast tomorrow so lets see what happens.

There was a nice little thundery cell only a few miles south of you (assuming you were in Saffron Walden) near Stansted Mountfichet at about 1pm. Didn't see any lightning but it had a decent cloudscape with pronounced gust front and produced heavy rain and rumbles of thunder. May be it fizzled before it reached you. Not sure what precise direction it was headed, although I presume it was North-ish. I didn't have time to follow it unfortunately.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny (hate hot), severe thunderstorms, heavy snow, extreme cold

Rapid convection here but seems to be hitting a cap of some sort.

Posted

Show

Rapid convection here but seems to be hitting a cap of some sort.

Shows up quite well on here - rising air until about 500hpa, then capped. Still enough convection about for some sharp showers though.

post-2-0-91564000-1404127767_thumb.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Possible breach of the cap along wind convergence at 500hpa?

Could be a bit premature if they decide to open the roof on centre court.

post-5386-0-33916100-1404140155_thumb.pn

post-5386-0-97301800-1404140238_thumb.pn

Posted

One heavy shower with a rumble here today after just after lunch in our meeting. Overcast, warm and quite humid now, so I'll go for a leisurely walk after I've recuperated from what was a very productive but demanding day. I surprised myself on the language front and managed very well, and the teaching team were very nice and very supportive, but it was hard work. A nice glass of wine, sitting outside, has been earned! Météo France are progging some thundery showers for tomorrow in Northern France so I'll have my re-batteried camera at the ready if there's anything interesting up above...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Not sure if it'll produce much electrica;, but been watching the dark clouds gather over Central London from the office.. Radar looks nice and bright for it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Convection happening inland over the Lakes but as others have mentioned it's capped, clear and sunny near the coast with me. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Heavy rain here for the last 40 minutes, it was supposed to be dry! No thunder or lightining yet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

See raintoday shows a heavy band of rain heading towards us, but the forecast says no. Looking to dissipate before it gets here?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Flying out of Liverpool to Larnaca at 1:45pm today. Some suggestions of a few sharp showers. Maybe some convection on the way out. Not much over Europe though.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Flying out of Liverpool to Larnaca at 1:45pm today. Some suggestions of a few sharp showers. Maybe some convection on the way out. Not much over Europe though.

Morning forecast on about this as well. Will have to wait for the updated charts.

Posted

Shower thats developed above me moving south is very potent and its developing mammatamus characteristics...lookslike its bubbling...quite warm and humid out 21c feelslike 24c....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

I know not much potential is being shown at the moment, I'm just wondering about Friday evening if that front arrives earlier than forecast, will it coincide with some warm temps and spark off convective activity?

Posted

Is there any potential for storms this coming weekend or are we just looking at rain ?