Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm and Convective Discussion 23rd June Onwards

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

I have never known a worse shower day with the forecast today. Was expecting widespread thunderstorms and the nearest was Exeter that died out soon after. Not happy at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

I have never known a worse shower day with the forecast today. Was expecting widespread thunderstorms and the nearest was Exeter that died out soon after. Not happy at all.

Had light rain and that was that! Maybe better luck next time/year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Did I blink and miss all the action...lol roll on winter

Posted

ok , roaring a bit to strong , westerlies, sun and showers and a breeze if you no what I mean !!!....

Ok that's better...let ya off with that one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Three rumbles before 2, followed by an afternoon of drizzle!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair Weather, Snow, Thunderstorms

I agree, I'm looking at France right now green with envy. We are a weak nation when it comes to thunderstorms (and football!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Move to Lincolnshire, the fens or East Midlands then lol, no shortage of storms in these areas! Devon isnt exactly a 'prime' renowned area for good storms!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Waited all day for something and out of the blue, a torrential downpour. TV signal has gone all intermittent.

I'm afraid you are setting yourself up for disappointment if you thought today would provide widespread thunderstorms, especially for your area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Sorry for the double unfinished post, the WiFi is being a bit weird here...

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 2

Posted

Just had some fantastic lightning here in Dijon. The storms started just as the train came into the hills before Dijon, but didn't hit the town until I arrived at the station. Got to the hotel and flung everything down, opened the window and watched the display. A sky full of Altocumulus castellanus, so more action might be on the way. There was heavy rain in Paris when I arrived there and there were a couple of episodes of near coffee spilling turbulence (this is always proportional to the temperature of the beverage of course) en route.

• Like 2

Posted

By all accounts three storms in that area today...all after 6pm local. Good timing? :)

Dijon Longvic METAR progging more for tomorrow too. If it's looking good I may take a tram to somewhere good to take some photos, bearing in mind I only have a mini brolly and one pair of shoes which have to do me for work on Monday - hand luggage travel is a dangerously balanced art form!

Posted

don't say that! Someone I know is about to take off from there any minute :(

Hmmm. It was a tad lumpy at times this afternoon up there (I flew to Paris), but storms are no problem on descent and take off (en route storms are avoided where possible but flying between them when there's no choice can be a bit choppy). Any individual aircraft gets struck on average once a year - work the rest of the probabilities out yourselves, I'm too tired. When lightning does strike (I've had three strikes in a lot of flying) it's dramatic but over very quickly. There is a very bright flash, the cabin lights may flash on and off, and on two of the three occasions the worst result is that I have been actively using the barf bag...

Edited by Spikecollie

Posted

Yorks can have its fair share of ts activity in the Summer - nothing forecast for at least the next five days or so? Even the more recent activity has stayed much further south. Looks like any ts fix is going to be slightly further afield, just for now any roads :)

I'm in mid-Eastern France (Dijon) right now! The action was here and may well return tomorrow.

Posted

France is always a winner for storms , when I'm in grasse in the south whatever part of the summer l am treated to a storm !.......

Isn't that where the book and film "Parfum" is set - a very weird story but stunningly sensual? A beautiful place. I have had many nights at campsites and at home in France sitting out in the garden watching storms. Before the rain comes, it is the most elemental of experiences watching the lightning flashing over the hills and enjoying the intensely humid air.

• Like 1

Isn't that where the book and film "Parfum" is set - a very weird story but stunningly sensual? A beautiful place. I have had many nights at campsites and at home in France sitting out in the garden watching storms. Before the rain comes, it is the most elemental of experiences watching the lightning flashing over the hills and enjoying the intensely humid air.

I think so , all the fragrance houses are there , in a somewhat protracted search for a property there or abouts , will be going out somtime in august to follow up leads on potential properties !....

Posted

Yorks can have its fair share of ts activity in the Summer - nothing forecast for at least the next five days or so? Even the more recent activity has stayed much further south. Looks like any ts fix is going to be slightly further afield, just for now any roads :)

When and where!!!!!!!!

Posted

I think so , all the fragrance houses are there , in a somewhat protracted search for a property there or abouts , will be going out somtime in august to follow up leads on potential properties !....

I'm moving permanently Limousin at the end of the summer/beginning of autumn. We bought a house over here three years ago, but it took us a long time to sell our UK house and downsize (we're keeping a small bungalow as a rental prospect as although we are professional bunnies, we kind of gave up on pensions - long story). Let's not digress too much from the storms topic, rather I'll start another one. Suffices to say I have some reasonable advice. BTW all calm here now, but looking forward to a good day out tomorrow whatever the weather - may take the train to Beaune. New topic upcoming in "serious discussion" probs.

• Like 1

Posted

Move to Lincolnshire, the fens or East Midlands then lol, no shortage of storms in these areas!Devon isnt exactly a 'prime' renowned area for good storms!

Maybe not, but it isn't always bad, I have missed more storms and better storms at home while at uni, than I have got to see there, and that's in the SE a supposedly more prone spot. Also we have the sea and hills providing good views to watch storms or overnight imports (like the ones I missed recently). Have seen great night-time storms with lightning every few seconds a few times. :) Though yes we do get less action than the eastern areas you mention, at least with stronger day time storms.

I'm afraid you are setting yourself up for disappointment if you thought today would provide widespread thunderstorms, especially for your area.

To be fair the GFS was showing some the highest CAPE values around this area especially this evening, so no reason why we should have expected less than elsewhere and indeed I noticed a few storms in the SW as good as anywhere else today I think, one chucked it's mid/high level decaying crud this way while it backbuilt over west Dartmoor, which blocked the sun for much of the afternoon stopping anything developing here. Everything that approached here died from all directions (changed from SW-N through the day), in what in my experience can be quite a good set up for here.

Just one moderate shower all day and not many decent convective skyscapes to see (apart from this evening when it cleared up with some convection to the east and distant CB's to the west which was a bit of consolation).

So it was a frustrating/disappointing day here (like yesterday), but that's the luck of the draw. You win some you loose some, especially in these low shear slow moving situations.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Nothing here except some light rain.

• Like 1

I'm moving permanently Limousin at the end of the summer/beginning of autumn. We bought a house over here three years ago, but it took us a long time to sell our UK house and downsize (we're keeping a small bungalow as a rental prospect as although we are professional bunnies, we kind of gave up on pensions - long story). Let's not digress too much from the storms topic, rather I'll start another one. Suffices to say I have some reasonable advice. BTW all calm here now, but looking forward to a good day out tomorrow whatever the weather - may take the train to Beaune. New topic upcoming in "serious discussion" probs.

best of luck with your move , at the beginning of a 5 year plan , buy house in the south of france sell my business and whats left of the farm and leave forever !!!.....