Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm and Convective Discussion 23rd June Onwards

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Rainfall was mental in that storm. By the way have you seen my new lake / canal? lol

http://youtu.be/e3QIpKR8DPI

MK is the new Lincolnshire! Had a thunderless, almost rainless shower here! Dampened the pavements, how will the drainage system cope! :p

• Like 2

Posted

Nice storm right over Farnborough, Hants at the moment, some good rain proceeding it too.  Not *quite* as good as the one on the Fri/Sat the 14th though! (a close strike that took out my phone line....)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Naff storm day.Can forecasters please stop forecasting thunderstorms for southern counties when they are all in mid or northern counties. It would save me a lot of anxiety.Thank you.Another 10 hours of watching 'developing' storms.Meh.

Over the Hogs Back to the north we have thunder lightning hail and very heavy rain. The road is awash and flooding is imminent. Come over and see for yourself. But you may have it already in Godalming. :-)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

That's all folks.  :sorry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Sod all here , jusr a grey blanket of cloud , rather have roaring Atlantic weather than this crud !!!....

After last "winter" you might be on your own wishing for that!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

The most potent showers now increasingly becoming more confined to Southern and South-Eastern counties with an emphasis towards the South Coast as we continue through the afternoon and evening.

Cannot rule out a few cells elsewhere but I think the few rumbles I had this morning is my lot for today!

Edited by Chris K

Posted

20 seconds of booming Thunder here in London, not sure where the storm is though.

Right bloody well above me.. struck an aircraft going into heathrow!! crap the life out of me.. hardly any rain or be it very light was watching the plane above ,, then just huge bolt surrounded it and struck not too far away, deafening thunder!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, clouds, aurora

Couple of rumbles here in the last 15 mins, and dying as usual while passing through this area. Heavy rain, great for the garden. Typical system tracking either side of this area, along the coast and further inland towards Bury St Edmunds.

Edited by cloudsabove
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Over the Hogs Back to the north we have thunder lightning hail and very heavy rain. The road is awash and flooding is imminent. Come over and see for yourself. But you may have it already in Godalming. :-)

Left godalming for london ad got huge rain storm there. Now hopefully you understand my frustration ;-)It's clearly me that has the shield - not godalming

Posted

Right bloody well above me.. struck an aircraft going into heathrow!! crap the life out of me.. hardly any rain or be it very light was watching the plane above ,, then just huge bolt surrounded it and struck not too far away, deafening thunder!!

don't say that! Someone I know is about to take off from there any minute :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

I just watched dark clouds heading our direction earlier, not anything out of the unusual, I went outside to do my usual peak at it and noticed the wind picking up a bit. Then whilst looking nearly above my head in my girlfriends back garden the clouds started to rotate and below is the video. I was not expecting that!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203069884801525

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

yup,deafening here in SE13,loudest thunder for over a year here.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

don't say that! Someone I know is about to take off from there any minute :(

Don't worry, aircraft are built to handle strikes and if the weather is too dangerous, they won't be allowed to take off. On average most aircraft are hit at least once a year and most of the time the passengers will know nothing about it.

• Like 3

Posted

Couple of rumbles here in the last 15 mins, and dying as usual while passing through this area. Heavy rain, great for the garden. Typical system tracking either side of this area, along the coast and further inland towards Bury.

We've had thunder, lightning and heavy rain for 90 minutes here in Bury. Had some hail too, seems to be drifting slowly north into Norfolk now. Maybe get round 2 later :)

Posted

Looking at the rain today radar, general motion of any precip seems to be from west to east, thought it was meant to track more southerly than that? Fingers crossed for something beefy to develop down in the SW and move this way then please

Posted

Bit of a rubbish convective spell here really, not much yesterday apart from a couple brief heavy showers, and just a moderate shower today. Not much in the way of good visible CB's visible either due to lots of cloud.

At the moment there is a back-building storm over and just west of Dartmoor (Radar shows over 100mm/hr rain rate over a localised patch just west of Dartmoor for over 40 minutes now..), which is spewing out it's decaying remnants and mid level cloud that is blocking the sun and cooling things (along with a SSW breeze from further under this) ensuring convection won't be able to kick off here.

There's another cell to the NW (can see part of that CB in the distance now) but it won't survive to here without weakening unless the aforementioned storm and it's dead crud east of it moves away, by which time there may not be much time left.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

So that's it then for the south?

I haven't had anything.So when is this breakdown in the weather supposed to occur? :acute: Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Few distant rumbles yesterday and a few this morning other than that nothing over the last two days although that's what I expected.

That is Bristol's version of an MCS  :whistling:

Posted

Actually loosing sight of the CB to the NW now, as despite the fact it's moving south (to avoid me to the west), the left over crud from the Dartmoor cell is managing to move north and cover more of the sky..

That's now dying too, will probably just give more mid/high cloud to prevent any sunshine for longer

Edited by Evening thunder