Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm and Convective Discussion 23rd June Onwards

Nick L

Posted

torriential downpour now separate cell with no thunder.

Although thunder seems isolated so far with not much in the way of thunderstorms.

Edited by tomjwlx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Indeed, they seem to be developing from almost nothing. Promising signs and considering. Glad the bins ok :) Stuff sitting over S Wales also showing signs of pepping up, aiming your way?

Yep passing to my NW by a few miles. Loud claps of thunder with heavy rain here at the moment! Skies are pretty plain grey and boring though! Haha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

We're lucky because storms will continue to develop through the afternoon, it's a positive sign that there is thunder already. Anyhow I have currently missed the storm from yesterday and the current thunder from today, typical living in South Bristol.

post-18097-0-82235000-1403945366_thumb.jpost-18097-0-05082600-1403945377_thumb.j

Edited by Ben Sainsbury

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring, Autumn, Snow ..... not, I repeat, not heatwaves!!

Been out for a short while and warm, sunny and pretty sticky here this morning!

It's the local school fair today (not fayre as discussed here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/9390015/Oliver-Pritchett-Its-fair-not-fayre.html) so I'm hoping for a fairly dry day.

It'd be nice to have a âš¡ to clear the air but without rain, is that even possible?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Well thunder has died down now, but haven't had it this early for a while. Bodes well for others later more S and E of me I feel :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

What sort of risk for severe weather do we have today? A slight risk? I don't mind where

Edited by Greenday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

If you run the radar loop back an hour, all the showers virtually formed within that timespace of an hour!

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Storm & Convective Forecast

post-1052-0-45194000-1403946340_thumb.pn

Issued 2014-06-28 07:55:10

Valid: 28/06/2014 0800z to 29/06/2014 0600z

THERE IS A RISK OF THUNDERSTORMS FORECAST
Synopsis

Upper trough axis lies NE to SW across the UK towards the Bay of Biscay today, moving slowly E/SE. A slack area of surface low pressure covers Sern UK, an occluded front will move slowly south across Wales and central England through the day. Deeply unstable conditions will affect S England to the south of occluded front. A weak ridge of high pressure to the north of the front will bring stable conditions to the rest of the UK.

... S WALES, MIDLANDS, S ENGLAND and E ANGLIA ...

Moist airmass to the south of southward moving frontal zone will shift a little further south today, with more of southern England likely to see a risk of thunderstorms today compared to yesterday. Surface heating of this moist airmass beneath cold mid-levels of upper trough will create steep lapse rates across the above areas, with 300-700 j/kg CAPE indicated by this afternoon. Therefore heavy showers and thunderstorms will develop through the day and will be slow-moving given decrease today in steering winds aloft. Vertical shear will be weak, though a few strong storms may become focused and organised near breeze convergence zone shifting slowly south from Wales/Midlands towards S England, bringing a risk of large rainfall totals within a short space of time leading to a risk of localised flash-flooding. Also, storms maybe accompanied by hail and frequent cloud to ground lightning. Funnel clouds or even a brief weak tornado can't be ruled out from storms near breeze convergence zone. Storms will drift slowly south towards the S coast this evening before dying out in the early hours.

Issued by: Nick Finnis

Full forecast here: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Was organising this then Nick posted, will post anyway :-)

post-7331-0-24459700-1403947043_thumb.pn

Nice high lapse rates over the are of interest.

post-7331-0-28227900-1403947055_thumb.pn

Deep layer sheer is reasonable over the east and southeast hopefully sustaining anything that develops. Lowe layer sheer is just slight.

post-7331-0-06051000-1403947066_thumb.pn

Wind convergence showing across the UK.

post-7331-0-97806900-1403947082_thumb.pn

That's from the nmm model anyway (amateur perspective).

I noticed the potential slowly drifting se into the evening. Good luck I hope you all get storms.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Morning all, very heavy convective style raindrops falling at Dawlish  http://www.dawlishbeach.com/live/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=18 the webcam is picking them up nicely.

Meantime in Essex, things seem to be developing rapidly, good luck to those anticipating a hefty storm or two  :)

Posted

Big flash and a loud, shotgun like bang of thunder. Reckon it was only a few streets away from me and confirmed by blitzortung. Very excited as we've had b#gger all down here all year. Alas, it was only a solitary strike, at the end of a torrential downpour but proves there's potential around.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Thunder here again!

Posted

More distant thunder heard now. Not sure which cell its coming from

Edited by tomjwlx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

And again. Seems to be the Cell from the South, Tom.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and tornadoes

Just this minute heard 3 deep booms of thunder over Worcester, no rain at all but the sky is becoming very dark to our north and south west....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

A couple of mini-claps of thunder here.

Not too sure where from as it is fairly bright outside.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Wht direction are the clouds supposed to be heading? I read it was ESE but here it's ENE. This gonna shift?

Last awesome storm was on an ESE direction wind from South Wales/Gloucester and produced lots of CGs.

I want that again!

Posted

Is Chelmsford expecting anything today? tstorms seem to miss this area lately (infact it's becoming a regular occurance now)

Edited by Mustang

Posted

have heard two lots of thunder this morning from one cell over north Sussex