Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm and Convective Discussion 23rd June Onwards

Nick L

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

The cell that passed over MK appears to have died electrically, how ever the sky to the SE & SW of here looks very thundery. Huge towering cumulus in the distance with all sorts of low level cumulus flying around the bases at different heights.

Posted

Post frontal troughing underway around here now, potential is there for something big in the next couple of hours.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Zippo here as per normal just some moderate rain this afternoon.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Sounds like the worst is over and I haven't even seen anything! :laugh:

Trouble is people always have over expectations, thunder is always highly hit and miss and many storm lovers as usual are disappointed and blame the forecasters :)

Edited by TonyH
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Showers seem to be forming into a band across from Mid Wales to around Gt Yarmouth with storms scattered along the line. I am free to chase now but a bit unsure as to whether to head SW, SE or S.... or just stay put :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Beefy cell moving of to the NE...certainly more convection around atm

post-12214-0-29575100-1403888261_thumb.j

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

aargh, the storms affecting the somerset region seem to be moving now with a more easterly trajectory rather NE towards me....the anvil shield from this multicell line is overhead so it's hampering any further convection...who the hell wrote todays storm script for down here?!  :(

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The MO have downgraded the shower activity here tomorrow. Apart from yesterday's frontal rain, it's possible that we may see nothing at all!

New warning doesn't really reflect the forecast.. :laugh:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1403910000®ionName=sw

with the focus rather further south than on Friday

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

I bet it's fun down there: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28056363

I got wet on my dog walk, but only from the soaking grass and heather...

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Trouble is people always have over expectations, thunder is always highly hit and miss and many storm lovers as usual are disappointed and blame the forecasters :)

It's been a miss today! Nice sunny day though, cool breeze 21.4c!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Yeah, I'm not so sue about that. BBC, Met and Netweather are saying occasional rain showers and have had storm risk decreased from 65% to 5%.

Posted

Yeah, I'm not so sue about that. BBC, Met and Netweather are saying occasional rain showers and have had storm risk decreased from 65% to 5%.

The focus, if anything does kick off tomorrow, will almost certainly be further south.

The BBC forecast at 6:30, which is by no means gospel, showed the rash of showers/cells across the South tomorrow.

From the Netweather forecast: 'Then on Saturday, a band of cloud and showery rain will slowly sink south across the Midlands and Wales through the day, to the south across southern England and perhaps south Wales, sunny spells but also slow-moving heavy showers and thunderstorms will develop once again, accompanied by hail, torrential rain and gusty winds.'

Edited by saint

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Do

Not

Rely

On

Computer

Generated

Graphical

Forecasts!

They are just a calculation based on a range of variables. Likewise the storm risk percentages. Look at the individual variables, not the some calculations. only use them as a very rough guide, and sometimes not even that.

Edited by Chris R
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JekXK1I2rDU oh dear :) the stages are now powering up now the storm has passed :)  but whats in store for later :O

not a lot more today Andy IMO.....convective energy and solar heating is on the wane, some moderate showers overnight perhaps but unlikely to be any further thunderstorms

Posted

DoNotRelyOnComputerGeneratedGraphicalForecasts!They are just a calculation based on a range of variables. Likewise the storm risk percentages. Look at the individual variables, not the some calculations. only use them as a very rough guide, and sometimes not even that.

Or try the radar's, they're normally much more accurate too!  :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

The MO have downgraded the shower activity here tomorrow. Apart from yesterday's frontal rain, it's possible that we may see nothing at all!New warning doesn't really reflect the forecast.. :laugh:http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1403910000®ionName=swwith the focus rather further south than on Friday

The Met Office are right, more action is likely down here tomorrow due to the wind direction, but I have a feeling it might be even too far S.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Just had a shower that wet the ground but nothing amazing. yep I just got the edge of it. :fool:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

I decided to chase the cells near Yarmouth. Im currently sitting in my car on the sea front facing out to see. A possible hail core seen and a nice potent cg on the way into Yarmouth. Been hearing occasional thunder from it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The Met Office are right, more action is likely down here tomorrow due to the wind direction, but I have a feeling it might be even too far S.

South of the M4 looks to be the areas most at risk, but I'd say I have a good chance of staying dry tomorrow. Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Storms and snow are usually too far north or too far south of me and I'm left in the middle with nothing! :rolleyes: But on the plus side, it is sunny and the storms should be further south tomorrow! :good: But when I miss out on snow........... :cray: :cray: :wallbash: :wallbash: :angry: :angry:  :cold: :cold: there is no plus side!