Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm and Convective Discussion 23rd June Onwards

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Reminds me in a way of a squall line on the radar...intense echoes on the leading edge, followed by a short period of moderate rain.

Lightning activity looks pretty much confined to Norfolk now.

Edited by Carl46Wrexham

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

They have been pretty atrocious in general the last month or so.

I'm sorry for you Lauren! Really thought today would be your day! :( :( :(  Yes, atrocious is the right word to describe the recent BBC forecasts! They forecast thunder as well as they forecast snow in the winter, might as well just look through the window! Dami sounds like she might get something though!

Edited by lassie23

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Looks like a thunderstorm is brewing to the southwest of here. Very dark sky in that direction!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Some real good thunder at midday time, looks to have shifted into Norfolk now. I'm on the chase and in a KFC car park in borough. Sun is out and some new cumulus looks to be rapidly building!

Think I'll munch on my toasted twister for now and anticipate for a short while.

Hoping more cells fire up across the S midlands and cent Southern England etc as that's the area progged with most CAPE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Nothing to see here.Move along? :cray: 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I'm sorry for you Lauren! Really thought today would be your day! :( :( :(  Yes, atrocious is the right word to describe the recent BBC forecasts! They forecast thunder as well as they forecast snow in the winter, might as well just look through the window! Dami sounds like she might get something though!

nah. It's gotten a bit warmer out, mind. :search:

Posted

Well that was an interesting school run.

Absolutely hammered it down with frequent rumbles and one flash. Being so close to Bristol Channel though I think it was over Wales way.

It's is pouring it down right now and skies to my west/ south west are very very black (again Wales way)

Not seen rain like this in a long time.

Posted

Why do I feel that London, the SE and East Anglia will mostly miss out again?

Sheet! Even reverse psychology doesn't work!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

One rumble in the distance but I think it may just miss me here. Light rain falling from the overhang of the cell. Do I go to the gym or not is the question. Don't want to miss a storm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Latest NW radar shows the line of showers/storms east to west across N.Wales ,N.Midlands to Lincs/N.Norfolk slowly easing north currently.

Starting to fragment and weaken maybe but still some activity to move into Lancs/Yorks for now.

Some more scattered showers,some thundery showing over SW and S.Wales but a lot of dry areas now over the rest of he UK.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Pretty quiet here now, any showers are to the north towards KL and the N Norfolk coast. Not a bad day thunder-wise but was expecting a little more tbh :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Nothing on the horizon for us today but wind's picked up considerably and 'stuff' is hitting the conservatory roof so I'm just going to pretend for a while

Posted

Latest NW radar shows the line of showers/storms east to west across N.Wales ,N.Midlands to Lincs/N.Norfolk slowly easing north currently.

Starting to fragment and weaken maybe but still some activity to move into Lancs/Yorks for now.

Some more scattered showers,some thundery showing over SW and S.Wales but a lot of dry areas now over the rest of he UK.

Sounds like the worst is over and I haven't even seen anything! :laugh:

Posted

Pretty quiet here now, any showers are to the north towards KL and the N Norfolk coast. Not a bad day thunder-wise but was expecting a little more tbh :)

All converging on Lincolnshire?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Sounds like the worst is over and I haven't even seen anything! :laugh:

Well lassie it all passed through here around 1-2pm-only 1 rumble,no lightening but bursts of torrential rain,so nothing too dramatic.

All cleared now with broken cloud.

Never easy to forecast these storms and radar watch seems to be the way to go on the day.

Nothing much about at the moment except where i indicated above but with unstable conditions around for at least another 24hrs activity can still show up.

Keep your fingers crossed :) 

• Like 1

Posted

I swear I'm never going to listen to the BBC weather forecast again.

I know this sounds petulant and spiteful (and it probably is to some extent) they always, ALWAYS seem to get it wrong for down here. When storms are forecast why don't they just shift everything 200 miles North and East every time and then they would be bang on.

I appreciate weather is an incredibly difficult thing to predict, but come on.

I work in a finance office (yay) and if my performance was anything like theirs, I would be straight up fired.

One storm this year (the most active i've seen in a good ten years) and it wasn't even forecast :/

sorry for the rant. I feel better now.

• Like 2

Posted

I know this sounds petulant and spiteful (and it probably is to some extent) they always, ALWAYS seem to get it wrong for down here. When storms are forecast why don't they just shift everything 200 miles North and East every time and then they would be bang on.

I work in a finance office (yay) and if my performance was anything like theirs, I would be straight up fired.

One storm this year (the most active i've seen in a good ten years) and it wasn't even forecast :/

Yes, weather forecasting seems to be a job you can screw up in often, without facing any consequences most of the time!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I understand your frustrations, but have a little more patience. For us in southern england, tomorrow has excellent potential, but more importantly later on into the evening looks rather promising for our neck of the woods....the areas of decent convective energy potential, currently over the SW peninsular is migrating eastwards, and hi-res NMM modelling shows converging surface/low level winds migrating coinciding with the convective potential....This is already having an effect over North Devon & Somerset with storms now firing....so don't give up, things look rather good IMO from around 1700-2100 hours  :good:

Yes, weather forecasting seems to be a job you can screw up in often, without facing any consequences most of the time!

that's enough forecast bashing please Lassie, it really doesn't aid the discussion.....cheers

• Like 3

Posted

I stopped watching tv forecasts years ago, they are rubbish, they use data that was given to them hours before, and in storm set ups that is just no good, they also cater for joe public and not enthusiasts and chasers.

My advice would be to find yourself some good convective forecasters on the forums, and learn which ones to trust, they will probably teach you quite a bit aswell, so over the years you may even get to the stage where you can have a go yourself, myself, i'm not quite there yet but getting better.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, clouds, aurora

Personally I don't look at the BBC forecasts because of their accuracy - I look at Netweather and a few others and whoever is roughly matching each other, that is my general view of the weather. I'm trying to slowly learn charts and whatnot. However, Netweather said 52% chance of storm (yesterday) for today (and tomorrow also), which was soon wiped off the 10 day forecast this morning. The other weather sources I look at state thunderstorms also, so that is what I am kind of expecting.

Having said that, we have blue skies and scattered cloud here, with some convection, more towards the distance. I am not expecting anything to produce right now. I think I need really to move to Peterborough/Norwich area, as they have had a great showing recently.

North France is having a good storm presently also, showing up on NW radar.

• Like 2