Cold?
IGNORED

Storm and Convective Discussion 23rd June Onwards

Nick L

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Sheffield shield chuckling too itself. So teasing from the clouds but pretty sure nothing will happen here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Coventry storm is taking forever to get here in Bedworth.No sferics either. ...meh!

I am afraid Coventry storm is now just moderate rain. That isn't to say it won't "pulse up" again on its journey north but it is clear that clouds are not attaining the height necessary to take advantage of directional shear higher up, and thus are seeing updrafts get choked by downdrafts fairly quickly. 

Welcome to Netweather by the way, just noticed this is your first post :)

Edited by Supacell

Posted

I am afraid Coventry storm is now just moderate rain. That isn't to say it won't "pulse up" again on its journey north but it is clear that clouds are not attaining the height necessary to take advantage of directional shear higher up, and thus are seeing updrafts get choked by downdrafts fairly quickly. 

Welcome to Netweather by the way, just noticed this is your first post :)

ahh, that was actually me, my phone signed me in through facebook??? Anyways, I'm not worried about me name being on here, it's not as if I've annoyed anyone recently, is it? :-D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning

Some fairly decent looking CAPE just south of NI this evening, about 700j/kg at most... Does anyone think this could produce anything? Another night time storm would be perfect.

Posted Image

Edited by Utahraptor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

LOL looks like we're brewing stuff for areas north of us

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning

Night time storms unlikely as instability under the current setup is generated with diurnal heating over landmass during the day.  As solar input wanes so too does the instability.  

Another decent risk of slow-moving air mass storms for many parts of the UK tomorrow afternoon into evening, with perhaps region of particular interest being toward the eastern side of the country (going on current modeling) where those light low-level winds converge as heating of landmass builds throughout the day. Recent GFS outputs again modeling SBCAPE possibly to several 100j/kg where heating and decent moisture build-up (surface DPs within the 12-14C range) is overlapped by cool mid-levels, steepening overall environmental lapse rates.

Light winds throughout most of the profile (aside from the 300hPa jet) means significant weather unlikely in terms of storm longevity and severity, though storms could well organise along convergence zone(s) or shortwave troughs and promote build-up of further storms in their vicinity, increasing the risk of rather high spot RF rates and subsequent flash flooding. Added to that, light converging low-level winds, fairly moist low-level air mass and reasonably low LCLs brings the risk of funnel cloud/spout development with particularly buoyant updrafts.  

Aw, that's a disappointment, I would have loved another nice nocturnal thunderstorm.

I'm still satisfied with the weather I got so far this weekend, though

Edited by Utahraptor

Posted

Posted this on the Scottish regional thread yesterday, thought I would share it here. My first live twister !!!!!

Yesterdays storm over Dundee 6/7/14 about 12:15pm .......

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then the storm moved directly overhead and I took this wee video ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPLB8qM1hwc

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Over to here now folks

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/80807-storm-and-convective-discussion-7th-july-onwards/

and please polarlow please feel free to repost your pics over to the new thread and that also applies to any members with any recent pics,forecast or videos.

Thank youuu :D

• Like 1