Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm and Convective Discussion 23rd June Onwards

Nick L

Posted

A nice arc of showers up in the Borders at the moment with a fair few strikes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Lightning, Tornado, Hurricane, Heatwave

Sferics wise, this is one active storm. Barely 10 secs between rumbles.

Is this heading Macclesfield way? Seems pretty gloomy looking that direction.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning

Here's one of the storms I got today.

post-20640-0-14652800-1404671128_thumb.j

And here's the video of the storm. Although it is fairly distant, there is some great thunder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgy9I5-3cP4

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

enjoy yourself Greenday will be packed anounced in our local no tickets on the gate also some news info for you Greenday you might not know is sadly due to extension of runway no show next year.

On subject getting Dark here at moment as cloud develops, we had one dark cloud develop last night around 7pm but as reported no convection it moved on hopefully today different.

ps right on cue it lapses cloud downpours not massive 8.00 mm/hr rate 

My lack of expertise but is there convergence line in lincs in this image

Posted Image

That's a shame, although people were watching outside the event, camped out with their chairs, picnic etc. Was nearly as good watching there tbh. I enjoyed it good show bearly any flying breaks.

Was really glad that it was a nice day and dry. Phew! :-) shame about no show next year :-(

• Like 1

Posted

Pouring down here some sharp showers - over London nothing thundery.

Still it's something to ramble on about...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Pretty sure I heard a couple of rumbles from the little cell that's just popped up to the west of me.......

Posted

Couple of rumbles of thunder, but no sighting of lightning here in East London, plus some short moderate downpours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Couple of rumbles of thunder, but no sighting of lightning here in East London, plus some short moderate downpours.

It is really dark to my East but so far dry here in NW London!

Posted

Makes a change, it's usually the other way round lately! ;p

Is it still thundering? Not sure if it will make it across here, seems to be breaking up!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

ended up a dry, lovely day here....some distant anvils to the north and northwest from time to time, indeed can see what now that's spitting out the odd sferic over the cotwolds......impressed by the hi-res modelling (NMM) pretty much nailed it today

Posted

Is it still thundering? Not sure if it will make it across here, seems to be breaking up!

It's going in the wrong direction; SW-NE.

Posted

It's going in the wrong direction; SW-NE.

Yeah! It has crumbled and cleared away to the NE. Nuts, it looked pretty decent though. Got another rainbow again, without any rain!

Posted

Now, my Mrs says she heard thunder about an hour ago, eek!  But to be honest, I didn't...when I checked blitz, no sign of lightning near Leicester, but we had had, heavy rain shower..... Now, am I led to believe not all lightning is picked up by the various detectors, especially in cloud lightning? Or is there

anyone who can verify my Mrs's claim???

It was around 19:30 I think, poss a smidgen earlier....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

There was indeed thunder near Leicester, to the west and North. I travelled down the M1 through the 7.30 storm, arriving in Northants for the 8.30 one!!

Did someone mention rainbow, I chased this bugger down the M1, onto the A5 and gave up just south of Weedon, couldn't catch it......

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

A lovely day today plenty of sunshine and a few good looking beefy clouds that didn't do anything here.

Also I have just got the Netweather storm radar app and was wondering what's the best alert start time and alert end time?

Cheers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Some noctilucent clouds viewing from Birmingham atm

post-12214-0-92062100-1404692492_thumb.p

excuse the quality ....wish i still had my EOS at times like this

Live atm

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Just got back from Cyprus where the pilot flew in between two thunderstorms, was quite a spectacular sight with them located near the Alps. I was also fortunate to see noctulicent clouds out my window as it faced east just before the sun had risen! Just checking up on things, and this week is full of potential, so good luck to all! 

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted

Just think how I feel. Every single one of these so called "thunder days" this year has seen a decent thunderstorm, moving towards Manchester, die out literally 20 miles before me or take a left turn before it gets here.

A bit like this. A shower dying out.
Strange sort of day, convection never seem to get going around here and yet about 30 miles away there was a storm that seem to keep going and going.

Posted

Looking at some charts it seems there is more chance of rain here today whether they will produce anything more is to be seen here's hoping.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Storm & Convective Forecast

Issued 2014-07-07 09:01:45

Valid: 07/07/2014 0900z to 08/07/2014 0600z

post-1052-0-31498000-1404723941_thumb.pn

THERE IS A RISK OF THUNDERSTORMS FORECAST
Synopsis

Slow-moving upper trough extends south from Iceland across the UK/Ireland towards Iberia/western Mediterranean today, while a ridge of high pressure extends north across eastern Europe and Scandinavia. An area of surface low pressure will be centred across the far NW of the UK, with an unstable SW flow across the UK.

... UK and IRELAND ...

Heavy showers and isolated thunderstorms this morning in the W and NW will gradually develop elsewhere by early afternoon, as surface heating in the strong July sunshine beneath cool mid level temperatures of the upper trough allows cumulonimbus clouds to develop. So heavy showers and scattered thunderstorms are likely this afternoon across many areas inland, away from the far SE of England. Weak vertical wind shear will mean organised severe weather is unlikely, though breeze convergence zone(s) may set up inland across SW England, Midlands and N England - which may focus thunderstorms activity, with a threat of locally torrential downpours, perhaps bringing rainfall rates of 25mm (1") per hour, which may lead to localised flooding and standing water on roads. Storms maybe accompanied by hail and gusty winds too, Storms should fade by late evening, as diurnal heating wanes.

Issued by: Nick Finnis 

Full forecast here: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 3

Posted

There were noctilucent clouds visible in NW London a couple of nights ago! Missed all the showers here yesterday, looks like I will do the same today!