Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm and Convective Discussion 23rd June Onwards

Nick L

Posted

We now have 1 mass of rain with the odd flash around the Home Counties / south midlands. Hopefully in the next hour or so we should see some more strikes detected as there are only a few at the moment.

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

My god the rainfall here is insane at the minute. Cloud tops must be huge, the spots are the size of 5p pieces and the sporadic lightning is very powerful, the accompanying thunder is shaking the ground.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Just got back from little ones fair, pretty much big drops of rain the hour we were there, but amazing view of the dark clouds around. Got home just before the heavens opened and it got dark. No thunder but at least got little one her go on the castle. Too wet for the face painting :(

Edited by Dami

Posted

Clear rotation on the base of the storm that just passed to the SE of me. Also dramatic increase in rain as it moved away.

Posted

Definite rotation in a cell that just passed over tot hill services near Newbury with one very bright flash of lightning and deep, loud thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Shower dying. What the hell is going wrong today?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Heard some VERY distant thunder, probably from the South where the storms are brewing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Shower dying. What the hell is going wrong today?

there is little vertical shear, and cells that do develop are slow moving, the upshot is, the average cell lasts for 30 mins before the updraft gets swamped by rain cooled descending air (the downdraft)...little shear means that the updrafts and downdrafts aren't separated thus the updraft getting swamped, and even though the updrafts are vigorous (due to the instability and bouyancy of the air parcels) they are dropping most of their precip and sferics in localized areas as the cells are slow moving....nothing is going wrong, it's exactly to forecast....

radar watching is the key, as cells will readily develop during the afternoon/evening period...due to the slow moving nature of these cells, it's pot luck whether you see a mature cell whilst it's nearly overhead........

Just to add, areas of low level convergence with sink southwards through the west country this afternoon, this will add an extra forcing enabling cells to develop more readily over convergence affected areas

Posted

Thunder clap coming from MK way.  :clapping:

Posted

Clear rotation on the base of the storm that just passed to the SE of me. Also dramatic increase in rain as it moved away.

Interesting, the NW detector places a few of the strikes right on the Eastern upslope of Salisbury Plain immediately East of the Westbury/Warminster area. I didn't have much of a view of what maybe happening as the rain was too torrential and there was too much low cloud - although maybe I should have looked closer at that low cloud!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

Thunder clap coming from MK way.  :clapping:

I heard it to! was a really nice long deep rumble. Looks to be going past us though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Is that Commercial road allotment?

Yes, well spotted! Have 2 allotments there and have a very good 360• view of the sky

Posted

Can see how the cloud circle round my village very well while out, according to Radar something is close to hitting, but i think it will head more MK way. Some very heavy rain in that cell too. Got such a thunder headache today :sorry:

Posted

Rainfall was mental in that storm. By the way have you seen my new lake / canal? lol

http://youtu.be/e3QIpKR8DPI

Posted

Probably the best tourist attraction in the MK now... ;)

That rain was mental. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

there is little vertical shear, and cells that do develop are slow moving, the upshot is, the average cell lasts for 30 mins before the updraft gets swamped by rain cooled descending air (the downdraft)...little shear means that the updrafts and downdrafts aren't separated thus the updraft getting swamped, and even though the updrafts are vigorous (due to the instability and bouyancy of the air parcels) they are dropping most of their precip and sferics in localized areas as the cells are slow moving....nothing is going wrong, it's exactly to forecast....

radar watching is the key, as cells will readily develop during the afternoon/evening period...due to the slow moving nature of these cells, it's pot luck whether you see a mature cell whilst it's nearly overhead........

Just to add, areas of low level convergence with sink southwards through the west country this afternoon, this will add an extra forcing enabling cells to develop more readily over convergence affected areas

Yeah, talking about convergence, I think we are about to recieve it down here later on this afternoon. I have noticed rapidly developing cells around and dying e.g. the one overhead now.

Posted

Thought it was clearing away, sky is quite bright and it's only raining moderately now, but just heard deep booming thunder once more. Very odd day weather wise so far  :cc_confused:

Posted

Thought heard another rumble and also thought it was clearing and the sun was trying to poke though. Still raining. Poor school fair turned into a wash out :(

Posted

I'm hoping to get out and have a look but won't be until at least 6pm. Hoping the activity hasn't died out by then. Normally in these circumstances, the low level cloud begins to break up in the evening revealing lovely sunset skies with distant convection :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Naff storm day.

Can forecasters please stop forecasting thunderstorms for southern counties when they are all in mid or northern counties. It would save me a lot of anxiety.

Thank you.

Another 10 hours of watching 'developing' storms.

Meh.

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Angry Cb mass been passing to the east for a couple of hours and gradually building west towards here, now just about 3 miles away looking as though it could produce lightning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Finally, some visible rotation and distant thunder. Parents reporting lots of thunder over Berkshire though.