Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm and Convective Discussion 23rd June Onwards

Nick L

Posted

A short video, of a lowering (possible wall cloud) of the storm that crossed Stowmarket at 1700, rotation was clearly seen which makes me sure this was a supercell. 

That's a beauty. A real candidate.Feel kinda bad for the rant earlier, I'm a bit spiteful when it comes to weather:pThe reason I'm so mad at the met office stems from a snow event a few years ago. Forecasters on here and on UKWW were warning of the possibilities of heavy snow for my region so I warned the girlfriend, who was driving to do some shopping in Basingstoke, to be vigilant and keep an eye on the weather. The BBC on the other hand seemed less bullish and simply said 'the south may see the odd snow flurry as the day goes on' alluding to my area. This reassured my girlfriend and she wouldn't ever believe the met office could get anything wrong.Well, it snowed heavy and solidly for 8 straight hours, turning the roads into gridlock and she was snowed into the car park. Took her 12 hours to get out, push the car, and make it back home (Basingstoke is 12 miles away). We had about 6 inches I think. I was furious about how blasé they were about 'the odd snow flurry' when infact it was a lot more serious than that.Just think if there is any potential for a severe weather threat, they shouldn't sit on the fence. There's lives at stake sometimes
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Well to summarise the day, a total shock of what happened. For most of the morning we had heavy cloud which at points did dish out some rain. The clouds however were not from the cells that followed which took me by surprise. At about midday I was heading towards Swaffham on the a47 in Norfolk and noticed embedded in the cloud I was talking about darker more storm like. I didn't think it would amount to much. I stopped at the services at the swaffham roundabout to swap over the hire car with another worker from a different branch and it began to rain a little. Once this was done I started to go through the drivethrough of mcd and the heavens opened. I couldn't believe it. This was not caused by surface heating as there was no breaks in the clouds all morning! Anyway I left Norwich dry and returned to it being wet. Happened so quickly.

I was only there for 5 minutes and the first flash of lightning and rumble of thunder was heard. I went to fill the car up that I brought back and more thunder was heard just as I saw my bro walking passed. We have the phrase storm chasers go go go when a chance of a storm is nearby so it was perfect timing.

Got back to the yard and just noticed the clouds moving in different directions and the atmosphere changed, you could see it was intensifying right over our heads. Clearly disorganised rotation visible and plenty of motion. Unfortunately attempts while trying to work failed to really show the motion in videos very well :( There was a bit of a hive of activity from customers and the likes in the yard at the time and none of them sensed anything but I knew what was above me and what potential this could cause. Lucky or unlucky, the chances were never that great but there is always a little and this was definitely one of them. Monday and Tuesday I was in amongst storms but not like this one, it had supercell potential and the 3 cells that were in Norfolk heading a north easterly direction converged off the coast to what looked like a supercell on radar. For me I'm not surprised. This is definitely what I like best and its a storm without lethargy, it had energy.

There was a helicopter hovering above the city and I would not be surprised that it was watching the storm just incase, after all it was sitting over a highly populated area. Could have been something else though I can't confirm it. I hadn't seen a heli hover over the city for a while.

I was sent the other way so couldn't follow it but did bump into the other 2 cells behind it and enjoyed more thunder. After work I took a drive to yarmouth to intecept another cell heading out. It did seem like it would be active but it wasn't as much as I thought it would be. However heading into yarmouth a potent cg struck a way to the south of me and when I got to the sea front there were rumbles and occasional fork lightning seen. Not too bad I hopefully caught a couple on video. I was there for a while and one more cell came passed and got moderate to heavy rain on the way back. Couldn't confirm any t and l but I think I may have heard one rumble.

Anyway that's my summary for the day and evening and it is definitely one to remember for the future and to take the experience with me for future storms. Best one was at 14:00 with the rotation. Incredible!

Edited by Greenday
  • Like 2

Posted

Sorry totally wrong button! :wallbash: 

Edited by Greenday

Posted

Glad that at least one of us had an interesting day weatherwise, Greenday!

Edited by Crepuscular Ray

Posted

Glad that at least one of us had an interesting day weatherwise, Greenday!

Would gladly have every one of you with me to experience it. However still no tornado to add to my name yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Well to summarise the day, a total shock of what happened. For most of the morning we had heavy cloud which at points did dish out some rain. The clouds however were not from the cells that followed which took me by surprise. At about midday I was heading towards Swaffham on the a47 in Norfolk and noticed embedded in the cloud I was talking about darker more storm like. I didn't think it would amount to much. I stopped at the services at the swaffham roundabout to swap over the hire car with another worker from a different branch and it began to rain a little. Once this was done I started to go through the drivethrough of mcd and the heavens opened. I couldn't believe it. This was not caused by surface heating! Anyway I left Norwich dry and returned to it being wet. Happened so quickly.

I was only there for 5 minutes and the first flash of lightning and rumble of thunder was heard. I went to fill the car up that I brought back and more thunder was heard just as I saw my bro walking passed. We have the phrase storm chasers go go go when a chance of a storm is nearby so it was perfect timing.

Got back to the yard and just noticed the clouds moving in different directions and the atmosphere changed, you could see it was intensifying right over our heads. Clearly disorganised rotation visible and plenty of motion. Unfortunately attempts while trying to work failed to really show the motion in videos very well :( There was a bit of a hive of activity from customers and the likes in the yard at the time and none of them sensed anything but I knew what was above me and what potential this could cause. Lucky or unlucky, the chances were never that great but there is always a little and this was definitely one of them. Monday and Tuesday I was in amongst storms but not like this one, it had supercell potential and the 3 cells that were in Norfolk heading a north easterly direction converged off the coast to what looked like a supercell on radar. For me I'm not surprised. This is definitely what I like best and its a storm without lethargy, it had energy.

There was a helicopter hovering above the city and I would not be surprised that it was watching the storm just incase, after all it was sitting over a highly populated area. Could have been something else though I can't confirm it. I hadn't seen a heli hover over the city for a while.

I was sent the other way so couldn't follow it but did bump into the other 2 cells behind it and enjoyed more thunder. After work I took a drive to yarmouth to intecept another cell heading out. It did seem like it would be active but it wasn't as much as I thought it would be. However heading into yarmouth a potent cg struck a way to the south of me and when I got to the sea front there were rumbles and occasional fork lightning seen. Not too bad I hopefully caught a couple on video. I was there for a while and one more cell came passed and got moderate to heavy rain on the way back. Couldn't confirm any t and l but I think I may have heard one rumble.

Anyway that's my summary for the day and evening and it is definitely one to remember for the future and to take the experience with me for future storms. Best one was at 14:00 with the rotation. Incredible!

I saw all of this too! I was working in Norwich today (next to the bus station).

The rotation was very strong, and there was a huge amount of skud cloud. As you say, cloud moving in all directions.  I saw the police helicopter hovering for quite some time overhead. Not sure it was looking at the storm, there was quite a large police presence walking about so guess they were looking for someone in the city centre. To be honest i was quite surprised to see it flying in those conditions!

I also noticed that raindrops were incredibly large (sign of high cloud tops?). I wish I could have got a better view, for a moment I thought i could see the formation of a funnel but the amount of buildings in the way and my work kept me getting a better look.

• Like 1

Posted

Would gladly have every one of you with me to experience it. However still no tornado to add to my name yet.

Ah, that's where I win: the Kensal Rise tornado of December 2006 went right over my flat about half a minute before it hit the ground. Sadly, I didn't know what was going on at the time, so didn't think to get the camera out.

• Like 1

Posted

Ah, that's where I win: the Kensal Rise tornado of December 2006 went right over my flat about half a minute before it hit the ground. Sadly, I didn't know what was going on at the time, so didn't think to get the camera out.

There you go, nice one! Be alive long enough and I'm sure most storm enthusiasts will see something amazing!

Posted

I saw all of this too! I was working in Norwich today (next to the bus station).

The rotation was very strong, and there was a huge amount of skud cloud. As you say, cloud moving in all directions.  I saw the police helicopter hovering for quite some time overhead. Not sure it was looking at the storm, there was quite a large police presence walking about so guess they were looking for someone in the city centre. To be honest i was quite surprised to see it flying in those conditions!

I also noticed that raindrops were incredibly large (sign of high cloud tops?). I wish I could have got a better view, for a moment I thought i could see the formation of a funnel but the amount of buildings in the way and my work kept me getting a better look.

I'm glad someone can confirm my analysis and sightings! I really wanted to chase this storm, so disappointed that I was still tied to work :( I would have chased it in a heartbeat if I wasn't! I would not be surprised at least something came out of it. One of the drivers reported largish hail.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Well to summarise the day, a total shock of what happened. For most of the morning we had heavy cloud which at points did dish out some rain. The clouds however were not from the cells that followed which took me by surprise. At about midday I was heading towards Swaffham on the a47 in Norfolk and noticed embedded in the cloud I was talking about darker more storm like. I didn't think it would amount to much. I stopped at the services at the swaffham roundabout to swap over the hire car with another worker from a different branch and it began to rain a little. Once this was done I started to go through the drivethrough of mcd and the heavens opened. I couldn't believe it. This was not caused by surface heating as there was no breaks in the clouds all morning! Anyway I left Norwich dry and returned to it being wet. Happened so quickly.

It was definitely trying to something other than be yer standard storm - I'm approx 10 miles SW of Norwich; I was standing out in one of the fields watching this highly disturbed sky, with low cloud and scud screaming in from the NNE. It was fascinating to watch. However despite taking on monstrous proportions the whole thing was totally silent, not a single rumble or flash. The wind was a real feature though, extremely gusty from the east, then abruptly changing direction to SW or NW. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms of any kind, Snow

I left Brighton yesterday for Kingston, anyone know what the chances are today for SW London?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Looks good for me and other S areas of SW England and S England. Heavy showers with thunder and hail.

• Like 1

Posted

Storm risk today appears to be further N than some are suggesting.

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Posted Image

NOT AGAIN!!!!! :laugh:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Posted Image

Yeah, though also you can see there are showers further S including my area.

Posted

Already had a very heavy shower with one very loud rumble. Looks like the next shower is just going to skirt to my north.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Good morning all. Just got instantly woken up by thunder! :D

• Like 4

Posted

Posted Image

How much further north do you think?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Afternoon :) already? Nice alarm call then. Looking good for later then.

Yep! The speed I jumped out of bed to check for rolling bins was unprecedented. Looks like a cell over to my West over the river Severn. Edited by Chris K
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

I hear Thunder!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Well I had the classic situation of being at work yesterday some 15 miles away from Weston & only getting rain while my wife told me Weston had a rumble or two of thunder.

As I am at home in Weston today, I hope it doesn't thunder at work. :fool: