The changing daylight hours thread

1 minute ago, Nick L said:

Aw but watching the snow under the lamp post is the best!

I was in Tunbridge Wells back then, Nick...And, one evening (January 1970) we had a fantastic but short-lived blizzard and, by the time the streetlights came on, the rain was washing it all away. Some things never change, eh?

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happens twice every year (March and September) near where I live, the sunsets between two trees. These two sunsets, 11 1/2 years apart March 2009 Last evening

You think? We get these same stories and debates every single year but nothing ever changes.   Long live GMT!

Well guess what LG, some of us here suffer from SAD so I can't tell you how much that can affect your mood and how much better daylight can make you feel. Need I remind you how much you complain about

Posted Images

Really notice the difference now in the mornings,lot darker even on a clear morning. For me the best part of the year is coming when you can watch both the sun rise and set at a reasonable time,nature at its best.

• Like 2

Haven't had permanent astronomical twilight here for nearly three weeks now. Looking out on a clear night like tonight one can certainly see just how black the sky looks, as opposed to the deep, inky blue of astronomical twilight.

• Like 1

August-mid September is perhaps the ideal period of time in terms of length of light. Light enough for just about long enough in the evenings to enjoy it and light when you get up. Not looking forward to the downhill run up to the winter solstice. Going to and leaving work in the dark... joy!

1 hour ago, MP-R said:

August-mid September is perhaps the ideal period of time in terms of length of light. Light enough for just about long enough in the evenings to enjoy it and light when you get up. Not looking forward to the downhill run up to the winter solstice. Going to and leaving work in the dark... joy!

The joys of living at a high latitude, there's only a fairly small window when we get sensible daylight hours.

On 06/08/2016 at 12:37, Ed Stone said:

I thought it was great, Pete: I had an extra hour for snow-watching after school.

But you didn't have to go to work on two wheels in dark, icy mornings?  No matter what we do to the clock, we still have only around eight hours of daylight around the winter solstice.  Bear in mind that under GMT, schoolkids go to school in the light, and leave school in the light (or did before the days of the "school run" but that's another can of worms).

I've been on lates last two weeks, so my getting up at 430am to near sunlight will certainly be different on Friday morning. 

Mind you, last night home at 910pm and the lounge lamp went on for the first time in months.

23 minutes ago, markyo said:

Loving the darker mornings now,really making a difference,so much more easy just to roll over and put the snooze button on!! Probably not a good thing!

Indeed it is more tempting to keep pressing the snooze button. Thankfully for a large majority, we are still some way off proper dark mornings/evenings. I do like the cosyness of dark evenings in winter. Just wish there was more daylight in the morning to help wake me up. 

• Like 2

Really starting to pull in now,especially in the mornings. I find it just so much better waking to darkness and not that burning sunlight streaming in at a very early time,so much nicer.

• Like 2

Nights are certainly a lot darker now! 8.15 and the light is beginning to fade and completely dark by 9.

Autumn is just around the corner and them lovely cozy nights in with the family will not be far away!!

• Like 2

Best time of the year coming up,leaving the house in the morning to the cool freshness of autumn,hearing those piles of leaves moving in the wind,then home at night to a lit fire,perfect.

• Like 2

Sunday night was completely dark by 10 here (was cloudy) but last night was a bit lighter due to the fact clearer skies. Shows cloud makes all the difference

• 2 weeks later...

An eerie form of evening light - looking across to the central feels, there is an ominous orange glow on the distant horizon with darkened skies in the foreground and the peaks of the fells silohetted against the orange. Rain radar shows moderate rain falling over central lakes, but it can't be, all very odd. Its been an odd day daylight wise, very still air, no cloud movement just a stagnant grey cloud cover making for very dim light. I've not liked the feel of today at all..