Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted

Evenings are really getting lighter now. Each of the following pictures were taken at 17:00 on...

4 January:

attachicon.gif20150104_165940.jpg

And this evening:

attachicon.gif20150124_170014.jpg

If I was being pedantic, :p, the evenings are not getting lighter, they are getting later.

I think after tomorrow, it's the first pre 8am dawn since November.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

If I was being pedantic, :p, the evenings are not getting lighter, they are getting later.

I think after tomorrow, it's the first pre 8am dawn since November.

I have to wait till Friday for the sun to rise before 8am

Thursday 08:00 exactly

Friday 07:58

4 weeks tomorrow the sun will be rising for me at 06:59 the first pre 7am rise since October 27th

February 19th for me marks the first day when we get 10 hours of daylight the first time since October 22nd

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I picked my daughter up from after school club at 16.50 ans first thing she said was Wow its still light,i think she was suggesting she could start to play out after school but the story is that even she noticed !!!

• Like 1

Posted

i hope we never stay on BST in winter because February would feel like a spring month esp if its a mild day as it would be getting dark between 6pm and 7pm, i know the mornings would be darker on BST but at that time of day temps are at or near their lowest anyway 

• Like 1

Posted

Still had a faint glow in the sky tonight at 18:10 a full 90 minutes after sunset

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

We're now out of the darkest 3 months, sunrise is now well before 8am and sunset will shortly move after 5pm. Back in the UK when I finished work at 5 it was always a good barrier to cross (and then again when I could finally ditch the bike lights a couple of weeks later) but now I finish at 6 so got a bit longer to wait!

Feb is definitely my favourite winter month - light levels are improving but it is still very cold and often the most snowy. Generally it's drier too and with the sun that bit higher there's more chance of burning off the constant Berlin murky low cloud!

• Like 1

Posted

We still had light in the sky at 1800 today, and it was easily light enough to walk in the fields at 1730.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Very noticeable on a morning now. Because my bedroom window faces other houses, from mid-November to about a week ago the sun only shines in through a gap between the houses as its not high enough (i have blinds since i'm in student accommodation and leave them open is because i like the sun) however the sun is now sufficiently high that it's over the roofs and from 8-2 i get the sun coming in. 

Nothing beats my old student accommodation though. Being like 10 floors up i got divine sunrises.

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Being high is great - I'm 5 floors up and get to see some great sunrises over the Berlin TV Tower. Even better view when I go up on the roof - saw a great sunset over Teufelsberg spy station (Cold War era) last year! Here it is:

post-94-0-69391300-1422881638_thumb.jpg post-94-0-86732700-1422881823_thumb.png

It does give good access to whatever sun you get in winter (not much admittedly!) and a vast improvement to my dark little Nottingham place that was surrounded in hills, trees and massive Victorian houses.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

It's good ,soon be eating my evening meal without the aid of candles !!..

What? no knives and forks?

Imbolc today, the halfway point between the winter solstice and the vernal equinox.

It all takes off from here now with the length of daylight rapidly increasing.

Happy days, happy, happy days a coming.

• Like 5

Posted

First post 17:00 sunset is Monday for me

16:54 Tonight

16:56 Tomorrow

16:58 Sunday

17:01 Monday

13 days (19th) for me until the first day where the day length just gets over 10 hours (10hr 02mins)

The first pre 7am sunrise of the year for me is the 28th when it rises at 06:59

Between today and 28th Darlington gains 1hr 32 minutes of daylight its certainly speeding up now

• Like 1

Posted

Today is my first post 5pm sunset too! 1701 today.

Funny how sunset times are almost identical here to the UK although of course actually 1 hour earlier. 

Posted

You beat me to it. Yep, first post-17:00 sunset in Manchester. :)

Aye, i really noticed how light it was yesterday well after 5pm.

First post 17:00 sunset is Monday for me

16:54 Tonight

16:56 Tomorrow

16:58 Sunday

17:01 Monday

13 days (19th) for me until the first day where the day length just gets over 10 hours (10hr 02mins)

The first pre 7am sunrise of the year for me is the 28th when it rises at 06:59

Between today and 28th Darlington gains 1hr 32 minutes of daylight its certainly speeding up now

For me the early mornings are much more noticeable (i tend not to close my curtains completely as i prefer to be woken slowly by the sun). To think we'll be approaching 6-7am sunrises soon is a big sign that winter is dying. 

• Like 2

Posted

First 5pm sunset was Wednesday here, now it takes till March 8th to get it to 6pm. When the clocks go back in October it's before 6pm on BST. The day before they go forward sunrise here is 5.56 am and sunset 6.33 pm. What a waste of daylight we have in late Feb and March.

Posted

First 5pm sunset was Wednesday here, now it takes till March 8th to get it to 6pm. When the clocks go back in October it's before 6pm on BST. The day before they go forward sunrise here is 5.56 am and sunset 6.33 pm. What a waste of daylight we have in late Feb and March.

The USA have the best idea when the put the clocks forward in early March think its around the 8th they're usual 3 weeks earlier than the UK

• Like 1

Posted

Yes I think that's one change we should certainly make-  go back to BST earlier. Far more people are awake and need light at 6:30pm than 6am.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes, as discussed before I don't understand why the clocks go back in late October when the sun rises at around 7.40am (BST) but we have to wait at least 3 weeks longer than we need to before they go forward again (assuming sunrise at 7.40am is OK).

Took a quick look at the map, and if you go exactly 15 degrees west from Berlin you end up near Nuneaton, so Berlin and Nuneaton will always have the same sunrise and sunset times within a minute or so.  Berlin and Bottesford would be pretty close in that respect too :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

6 weeks until the rate of lengthening daylight slows  :whistling:

• Like 1

Posted

Roll on winter solstice aha

Post 5:00PM sunset tommorow for London gaining +2 minutes everyday while sunrise is 1/2 the rate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

So glad the nights are getting shorter now. Roll on Spring when the birds will be chirping, mornings will be sunny, trees will be blossomed, and the weather will be warmer! :D

• Like 8