Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted

Only a quick glimpse at that (no time til tomorrow) but ye - sun sure does get me down - it ain't imagined.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Personally I love the sun. There's nothing other than snow which can beat a winters northerly producing clear skies with the temperature near zero.

Posted

What utter nonsense. It's days like today with wall to wall murk, featureless grey skies, poor air quality, stagnant air and no sunshine that are suicide inducing especially when repeated ad nauseum as they have been in this horrifically foul and depressing gloomfest of a year.

Hence why Shetland has the highest suicide rates in the country

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2014/05/05/wills-suicide-rate-is-alarming

My quality of life would be improved greatly if I could leave this country for good and live somewhere with decent levels of sunshine i.e. at least 2500 hours per year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Wow that's really quite strange. When I can see the sun, I have to say I feel 100 times happier than I do when all I can see is a slate-grey sky.

Maybe it's because my autism gives me an attraction to light?

I too feel a lot better when the sun is out. I don't think it is unusual for people to feel happier with the sun out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

For sure sunlight increases happiness. We've not seen the sun for several days here - it's just humid with slate grey skies and it really doesn't make you feel very active or happy. We are in some way programmed to like sunlight since it provides life - without it we wouldn't last long!

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

It is becoming more apparent that changes in daylight does play a role in the brain in producing serotonin. I suffer with a debilitating illness/disease that only affects me during late August into September and occasionally between April/May. Although my condition is not understood well neurologists believe there is correlation between daylight and serotonin levels. 

• Like 1

Posted

What utter nonsense. It's days like today with wall to wall murk, featureless grey skies, poor air quality, stagnant air and no sunshine that are suicide inducing especially when repeated ad nauseum as they have been in this horrifically foul and depressing gloomfest of a year.

We're all different, whether the cause be medical, emotional, whatever. What makes you happy makes me sad and vice versa. I can accept that but tend to react accordingly when I'm portrayed as some unsocial misfit for being in the minority.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I love walking into work on a cold winters morning, sitting down and basking in the light of the rising sun coming through the windows. It really warms me up. Then some miserable sod wants the blinds closed :angry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Not Long now till we are closer to the days getting longer again than since they were shortening. :) soon the speed of daylight reduction will slow down.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I love walking into work on a cold winters morning, sitting down and basking in the light of the rising sun coming through the windows. It really warms me up. Then some miserable sod wants the blinds closed :angry:

haha yeah I used to have that issue in my office. First tiny bit of sun then you shut the damn thing out! Of course it is at eye level in winter so completely blinding so I do understand... but in the end I installed 'solar shields' (bluetak + cardboard!) in strategic places so we got tons of sun but without being blinded. Did sometimes feel like being in a sun shower with it blazing all around your field of vision.. just had to be careful not to move your head in the wrong place....

Posted

Ya know... think I'll skip....

• Like 1

Posted

Ya know... think I'll skip....

Maybe a good idea! Y'know it's occurred to me that I NEVER open the curtains. They only get opened when the missus gets up (which is never,ever before me) and spoils things. I'd be quite happy to leave them open when night falls but she goes and does the same trick in reverse.

• Like 1

Posted

Do you try to keep all the lights off during hours of darkness too? To fully absorb your fix!

Posted

Do you try to keep all the lights off during hours of darkness too? To fully absorb your fix!

Being a child of the 70's I've got lava lamps all over the shop; they suffice. Ah, fond memories of the blackouts we used to get then, too!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Noticeably dark here this morning, Although thick fog helps..

Posted

Evening darkness is rapidly approaching the 'pain in the bum' line whereby you don't have time to get home & eat before it gets dark.... Once sunset moves before 7pm the noose really starts to tighten.

Posted

Evening darkness is rapidly approaching the 'pain in the bum' line whereby you don't have time to get home & eat before it gets dark....

Unless you've had the electricity disconnected, I can't imagine how that could possibly be a problem. Leaving the house for work at 0545, the darkness at that time is total. And to think that it was still light at that time just a month ago. Happy days are here again!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

In the depths of winter there are no days here and certainly at your location that are not light by 8.00 am,at least enough to see well and in nortern Scotland 20 mins behind here so I do not know where they get these 9.30/10 am  darkness from,most people are just thinking of setting off to work at that time and the kids are still eating their coca pops !!!!

I work earlies sometimes, I can assure you on overcast days in mid December it can still be pretty much pitch black at 8am.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I work earlies sometimes, I can assure you on overcast days in mid December it can still be pretty much pitch black at 8am.

I have just checked your sunrise times and they are 1 minute behind here at o8.21 for the week at the end of December,given that the suns light hits 20 mins before sunrise approx. the light comes like throwing a switch very close to 08.00,yes sure there is a difference in brightness in thick fog[it can be dark at midday] but the majority of the time on the shortest of days it is light enough to see ok outside at 08.00.!!!!!

Posted

Unless you've had the electricity disconnected, I can't imagine how that could possibly be a problem. Leaving the house for work at 0545, the darkness at that time is total. And to think that it was still light at that time just a month ago. Happy days are here again!

Try gardening in the dark - its not quite so easy to see things. Try painting in artificial light - the colours are all wrong. Try cleaning the house in artificial light - can't see the dirt! Unless you have daylight simulator bulbs in your workspace some close up work/hobbies are much more difficult to do. It's exactly why my dad always did the decorating during daylight hours - so he could see what he's doing!

• Like 1

Posted

Try gardening in the dark - its not quite so easy to see things. Try painting in artificial light - the colours are all wrong. Try cleaning the house in artificial light - can't see the dirt! Unless you have daylight simulator bulbs in your workspace some close up work/hobbies are much more difficult to do. It's exactly why my dad always did the decorating during daylight hours - so he could see what he's doing!

Gardening and cleaning I leave to the missus (as every bloke should), and six months of evening gardening should be enough for anyone anyway. Painting isn't my scene - be it decorative or artistic. Anything else, I can acheive perfectly well in the cosy glow of artificial light whilst the world outside my window is bathed in glorious darkness. And if boredom sets in, it's easy to make the darkness complete at the flick of a switch and take a little nap.

• Like 2