Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

The changing daylight hours thread

Posted

yeah but its still getting light at about 5am, when its getting light at 8am in winter that's better, but even that is still early if you think about it

• Like 1
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 3.8k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happens twice every year (March and September) near where I live, the sunsets between two trees. These two sunsets, 11 1/2 years apart March 2009 Last evening

Well guess what LG, some of us here suffer from SAD so I can't tell you how much that can affect your mood and how much better daylight can make you feel. Need I remind you how much you complain about

You think? We get these same stories and debates every single year but nothing ever changes.   Long live GMT!

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

yeah but its still getting light at about 5am, when its getting light at 8am in winter that's better, but even that is still early if you think about it

You could always team up with laserguy and build a house above the arctic circle for the winter half of the year before moving to the summer house below the Antarctic circle,that should lessen your daylight hours....don't forget your vitamin d tablets though!!!

• Like 2
    Posted

Today is the first time since early May that the sun set is before 9pm here. Certainly noticing the darker nights now especially that the weather has turned.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes the fading light is certainly noticeable now.

Edited by Polar Maritime
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Daylight is really decaying here now, the lamp-posts are already fully switched on and it's not even 21:00 yet.

Always good to have a lamp post on when looking for sleet in March following a mild winter at 3am. 

Posted

Daylight is really decaying here now, the lamp-posts are already fully switched on and it's not even 21:00 yet.

Daylight is decaying? In meteorological parlance I thought that only applied to forecasters.

Posted
  • Location: Saddleworth, Greater Manchester, in the historic West Riding of Yorkshire. 200m a.s.l
  • Weather Preferences: I like Spring. Because some Springs you can sunbathe. Some you can sledge.
  • Location: Saddleworth, Greater Manchester, in the historic West Riding of Yorkshire. 200m a.s.l

Virtually completely dark here at 21:30hrs, not too sure when it actually started fading, maybe 20:45? The thing I don't like about August September time of year is that the length of the daylight in the day shortens so quickly compared to any other time of the year

Posted

The thing I don't like about August September time of year is that the length of the daylight in the day shortens so quickly compared to any other time of the year

That's what I like best - the 'dynamic' of it, instead of the tedium and monotony of solstice ( 'sun stands still' - or summat to that effect) when nothing appears to change for weeks on end. Mind you, I'd be happy for the winter solstice to last forever - the increasing daylight after that fills me with a sense of dread.

• Like 1
    Posted

Yes it is around now you start to really notice the change in level of daylight especially on wet cloudy overcast evenings when it can become preety gloomy at 8.30pm - which always feel a very marked contrast to clear evenings just a month ago when lights don't dim until about 10.30pm.

We loose the greatest loss of light day on day in September - roughly 2 minutes in the morning and 2 in the evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

The nights certainly drawing in now. Dark around 9pm tonight. 

Posted

I'd been in Wales for a couple of weeks - where the sun sets about 20 mins later - so I really noticed the difference in sunsets when I returned to the south-east on Friday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Don't like it :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Virtually completely dark here at 21:30hrs, not too sure when it actually started fading, maybe 20:45? The thing I don't like about August September time of year is that the length of the daylight in the day shortens so quickly compared to any other time of the year

You can see your sunrise / set times here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2638879 - just click on the day and its displayed underneath

Posted

You can see your sunrise / set times here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2638879 - just click on the day and its displayed underneath

Thanks, but it's around this date that I stop looking at sunset/sunrise tables. When that happens, I'm satisfied that summer is all but dead and Autumn is as good as here.

• Like 3
    Posted

we've still only lost about an hour of daylight in the evenings im not satisfied yet 

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I always find 7pm sunset being the barrier between 'decent' and 'indecent'. 7pm or later means you can get home and be making dinner before the sun is gone whereas much before that you're struggling and darkness begins to infect the working day. We've lost an hour and you know the vice is now tightening but its still ok for now - after work you still feel like you have time to do other things. Not so in a month or so.

Posted

I always find 7pm sunset being the barrier between 'decent' and 'indecent'. 7pm or later means you can get home and be making dinner before the sun is gone whereas much before that you're struggling and darkness begins to infect the working day. We've lost an hour and you know the vice is now tightening but its still ok for now - after work you still feel like you have time to do other things. Not so in a month or so.

Don't you have electricity at your drum, Bott's? Me - I'm agog with the way the daylight is evaporating right now, but can barely wait 'til it's dark at 4pm.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

There's a very big difference between natural light & that provided by electrical lighting. I can't work in the garden nor on my bike under lamps nor is it worth cleaning the house when without natural light as you just can't see the dirt properly! Also try working on small electrical projects/other intricate hobbies. Sure you can aim all the desk lamps in the house at your workspace but it still is no where near as easy as sunlight which contains the full spectrum of light rather than just a small sliver of it.

No for many activities they come to a halt outside of weekends during 'that' portion of the year or just hold off completely till spring. The inactivity and sluggishness of the darker half of the year does not fill me with joy that's for sure!

• Like 3