Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted

It's a lot easier to get up for me when the sun is already shining. In winter, it's dark. and usually cloudy and damp, and it's soul-destroying - there is no incentive at all to get up, When it's sunny, I actually want to go outside, and the walk to the bus stop or train station is actually enjoyable.

Amazing how different folk can be - I'm the exact opposite of all that. Been on nights and was home at 0615, and since then I haven't been back outside or opened a door and all the curtains are firmly shut. The light is poison. Bed soon,where I'll miss all the hideousness that the weather is serving up right now. This time of year is as bad as it gets, of course. And did you know, the 12th August is the first day of summer that the sun is still below the horizon at 6am (when I knock off work!). The next significant date after the solstice. That's why it's called 'the glorious 12th' - ain't got nuthin' to do with blasting grouse or pheasants or whatever to bits.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Days like the last few where its still pretty light about 10pm, its warm, its been sunny are just the best. Could easily keep this forever and do without snow etc. Really geared up for the rest of summer now. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

All we need is the temperatures to rise a bit more, because 20C is pretty pathetic, and some of the cloud to burn away. If it does that, the long days will be perfect.

Im all up for anything hot and can get as hot as it likes but anything above 20c is very pleasant. Barely any cloud here so not been an issue (Not been for the last 3 days or so!) and wont be tomorrow either. lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

It's at the time of year when it's getting light when you get in from a night out. Don't like it! :laugh:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yeah late nights are not so compatible with June that's for sure! Depending on how wasted you are it can make things a bit weird!

It was only 20c here today - god send after the intense heat/humidity a few days back. Only 16c at the mo but can still have the window open. Back in my old UK house anything below 20-21c it had to be all closed up - this is much better!

Au contraire - I know we don't always get it but what I really love at this time of year are those wonderful light evenings when there is a clear blue sky and even down here the afterglow has great shade of darkish blue which continues until after 2300 hours - I marvel every time I see it - it is truly beautiful in my eyes.

What I really hate are the very short days of daylight in mid winter - when I worked nights it was very depressing to get up virtually as the sun was setting which meant virtually no natural day light for me for days on end - very depressing - I don't know how the people in Tromso survive their winters.

• Like 1

Posted

What I really hate are the very short days of daylight in mid winter - when I worked nights it was very depressing to get up virtually as the sun was setting which meant virtually no natural day light for me for days on end

I try to do nights most in winter. If I play my cards right I can go to bed just as it's starting to get light,and get up just as it's getting dark - which means I can go for weeks on end without ever having to endure daylight. It's marvellous, and only a week to go before the journey towards that paradise starts.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Amazing how different folk can be -

Very true, I do not care that much and take each day as it comes and try and enjoy it one way or another, summer I am out more, winter I tend to retreat and stay in so I tend to do very different things as hobbies over the year, walking and out taking photos in the longer days whilst reading and doing artwork in the in the shorter ones.

Heard "nights" mentioned at work this week in the office :shok: (checked contract and mine is for 06:00 to 22:00 PHEW!)

• Like 1

Posted

I think nights is the best shift because it's very easy to 'work around'. For example, if you work 9-5ish and bemoan the fact that you can't be out and about or get anything done during the day at this time of year 'cos you're stuck in the office/factory, it's entirely possible ( I know 'cos I've done it) to stay up when finishing nights and have the entire day to yourself. Get a routine going where you're going to bed in the late afternoon and you're fit and fresh for the night, and not tired upon your return home in the morning 'cos you slept late the day before. It's like being on holiday - well,almost. And you can't help but see the most spectacular sunrises, if that's your thing! If 'nights' are not available to you then that's just too bad. Find another job!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Au contraire - I know we don't always get it but what I really love at this time of year are those wonderful light evenings when there is a clear blue sky and even down here the afterglow has great shade of darkish blue which continues until after 2300 hours - I marvel every time I see it - it is truly beautiful in my eyes.

What I really hate are the very short days of daylight in mid winter - when I worked nights it was very depressing to get up virtually as the sun was setting which meant virtually no natural day light for me for days on end - very depressing - I don't know how the people in Tromso survive their winters.

We go into school as the sun's rising and leave as it sets, can't be good for teenagers who are emotionally unstable at the best of times! For the adult world, if you work 9-5 you pretty much won't see any daylight from November to January other than on your lunch hour / weekends. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Laserguy, I mean absolutely no disrespect by this and I genuinely mean well but....

...have you got yourself checked out medically? It's just that I know one guy with Aspergers who cannot abide summer for similar reasons as you due to his condition and another who had serious thyroid and vitamin issues which caused similar symptoms.

I know we're not all the same and not everyone likes summer and that's fine, but the grievances you describe sound familiar to me. Again, I really do mean well.

• Like 1

Posted

Laserguy, I mean absolutely no disrespect by this and I genuinely mean well but.......have you got yourself checked out medically? It's just that I know one guy with Aspergers who cannot abide summer for similar reasons as you due to his condition and another who had serious thyroid and vitamin issues which caused similar symptoms.I know we're not all the same and not everyone likes summer and that's fine, but the grievances you describe sound familiar to me. Again, I really do mean well.

Thanks for the concern (no,sincerely) rather than the usual "oh he must be some type of weirdo for not liking summer" response. You may well be right about my Aspergers - a condition I've only been aware of for about seven years,though I've never considered possible physical reasons such as you mention. In truth I don't (perhaps wrongly) see it as a problem - merely being the opposite of folk who genuinely and without question have an abhorrence of winter. But maybe I'm suffering unneccesarily and should get checked out, though to be honest I wouldn't know where to start and would feel reluctant to waste a professional's time by saying the sun and warmth are getting me down! Not to worry - only four more full days before the pendulum of the seasons swings in my favour, whereupon I'll start to feel much better! Thanks again tho'... and how did those people you know fare, once their conditions had come to light and were,presumably,treated?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Being sensitive to light, noise and sensations is quite common amongst those with Aspergers. I had no idea you had it but I recognised what you described so that should encourage you that you are not weird for feeling that way.

Something you can do is gradual exposure work where you gradually build up a tolerance to these things in a similar way you would work on a phobia.

I can't link on my phone but do look up hypersensitivity and Aspergers for more info.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Laserguy, I mean absolutely no disrespect by this and I genuinely mean well but.......have you got yourself checked out medically? It's just that I know one guy with Aspergers who cannot abide summer for similar reasons as you due to his condition and another who had serious thyroid and vitamin issues which caused similar symptoms.I know we're not all the same and not everyone likes summer and that's fine, but the grievances you describe sound familiar to me. Again, I really do mean well.

Maybe laserguy has some sort of condition or not but the fact is everyone is different the vast majority of us in the middle ,those who like it hot and long days so there really do have to be people exactly opposite to that.I personally think he just comes from a long line of miners who in winter' never see the light of day'[is that where that saying comes from?] so that some accustomed to darkness cannot cope with the light!! or maybe I am wrong??!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Maybe laserguy has some sort of condition or not but the fact is everyone is different the vast majority of us in the middle ,those who like it hot and long days so there really do have to be people exactly opposite to that.I personally think he just comes from a long line of miners who in winter' never see the light of day'[is that where that saying comes from?] so that some accustomed to darkness cannot cope with the light!! or maybe I am wrong??!!!!

Hmmm, I think that analysis is very unfair considering you've never met the guy. 

In the Scottish Highlands we get both extremes, very long summer days with lingering twilight / very short winter days with long nights and weak sunshine during the day. 

To be honest, I prefer the depth of winter with high pressure dominating and freezing fog / frost throughout the day, everything is calm, clean feeling and sleepy, which I find very relaxing. 

Each to their own, hillbilly - besides, I've never had much time for what the majority in the middle are up to. 

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

I don't think there's a general wholesale reason for not liking the warmth and the sun. We are not odd or wrong or weird, we just don't like it, for a number of different reasons. I have 2 Autistic sons, one with Aspergers, and they have complete indifference to the weather. I also have Asthma and hay fever and in warm weather the symptoms are ten times worse but I wouldn't want anyone else not to enjoy the fine weather, it's just a cross that I have to bear.

Some people like it, some people don't. Personally I hate it and can't wait till it cools down, it's just my opinion.

Edited by simshady
  • Like 2

Posted

There might be more than a grain of truth in this! There were lots of miners in my family (as you'd expect,being smack in the middle of South Yorks!) and I do know that my dad hated summer as much as I do now. And my maternal grandmother was the same - she'd literally hide from the light but go outside dancing with joy in the rain - tho' she'd never been down't pit! Maybe it's just hereditary? Thinking about it, the vast majority of my fond childhood memories involve winter and darkness - whether nothing much good happened in summer or my mind has rejected them over the (considerable) years since, I'm not sure.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

I can see that you're trying to joke there, but saying something like that is pushing the boundaries a little bit. I admit that hearing somebody say that they don't like daylight isn't something that you hear everyday, but that is Laserguy's preference, just like I personally prefer the longer days of Summer. Some hate Summer, just like others hate Winter and is it really fair to say that someone has "some sort of condition" just because they don't agree with the majority? Probably not. Us humans are unique because we prefer different things.

I'm sorry if I sound like a bit of an ars* there. :)

Yep...pretty much agree with this. :)

• Like 1

Posted

Yep...pretty much agree with this. :)

Me too - until Lauren mentioned it I'd never considered that it may be symptomatic of Asperger's. Could just be the way I'm made but being so badly affected - like the worst excesses of those who suffer from the wholly acknowledged SAD in winter - does seem a bit odd.

• Like 1

Posted

Yeah it's possible, but I personally wouldn't over analyse too much :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Good news for you dark lovers ,I believe mornings get darker after tomorrow morning!!!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Good news for you dark lovers ,I believe mornings get darker after tomorrow morning!!!!!

For me in Darlington we are at 04:29 till Friday then its 04:30 on Saturday morning

Nights however don't change for another 13 days here

Edited by Summer Sun