Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted

I prefer to think of it not as a downward slope but rather a glorious freewheel after the arduous climb to the solstice.

Ye - it's been a long,long haul but there is darkness at the end of the tunnel. Be strong, 4 weeks is nuthin'!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

The last few days have felt like Autumn, if not Winter. The year is going so quickly and we haven't had much in the way of warm/hot weather which is fine by me. May we have many more cool, rainy days! :)

Edited by simshady
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

The last few days have felt like Autumn, if not Winter. The year is going so quickly and we haven't had much in the way of warm/hot weather which is fine by me. May we have many more cool, rainy days! :)

why cant we have cool sunny days???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

why cant we have cool sunny days???

Absolutely fine.....but personally, I like the rain.

Edited by simshady
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Would be nice to have some clear weather around the solstice this year ,it has been cloudy or poor weather these last few years which makes a real difference to the twilight!!!

Posted

maybe so but i can't share your optimism summer hasn't even started yet and the worst is still to come, roll on late october as that is when it is dark enough and cool enough

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

As we had into the longer days of the year hopefully the warm will get a chance to build a bit, after all the coldest part of the day is the dawn same as the year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Just under 4 weeks to the solstice and then back on the downward slope.

More importantly, just over 4 weeks until my 2 weeks off work. Counting down every second lol.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

I always found this time of year (the month preceding 21st June) rather depressing as it barely feels we have got through Winter/Spring but we're already saying 'already just under 4 weeks until the nights draw in again'. Thankfully of course, there are still some pleasant sunset times even in September but the end word is, if you have very late sunset times in an unsettled Summer, was their even any point in them at all?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I find all the year interesting, I prefer the lighter and warmer months I will agree, but now is a good era (so to speak) in the year, max light, warmth and dry (we hope anyway), plenty of time to be spent couped up when the world and natures bursts into life outside (yes the winter wildlife is just as good, just for some more difficult to get to and see)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

It's been wonderful to have experienced some proper summer style warmth in Berlin knowing there is still over a month of it still getting lighter. Frequently in the UK we're still trying to shake the winter chill off right up to the solstice! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

And yet this month will probably end up above-average.. that 6-day spell of 20C+ temps (with virtually unbroken sunshine) really did a number on the averages, but of course the weather  turned foul just in time for your arrival, so your image of the UK's weather has been coloured wrongly.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

God I do love the long light evenings ! It just makes you feel more alive and happy!! Same with the light mornings. Makes the commute much more bearable!

Meanwhile, the temperature and weather is irrelevant to the solstice etc, our warmest weather on average happens in august, the same way as our coldest weather happens in February. In France the sun goes down before 9, even on the solstice! That's where I'll be to witness it this year, hopefully with some cracking French thunderstorms :)

• Like 4

Posted

God I do love the long light evenings ! It just makes you feel more alive and happy!! Same with the light mornings. Makes the commute much more bearable!Meanwhile, the temperature and weather is irrelevant to the solstice etc, our warmest weather on average happens in august, the same way as our coldest weather happens in February. In France the sun goes down before 9, even on the solstice! That's where I'll be to witness it this year, hopefully with some cracking French thunderstorms :)

A bit of good news for you - sunset in June is after 9.00 local time throughout France because they're an hour ahead of us.  At the solstice it is after 10.00pm in the north and around 9.15pm in the far southeast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

The first thing to be noticed after the solstice will be the mornings getting darker. The sunrise changes at a faster rate to the sunset, initially.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

The first thing to be noticed after the solstice will be the mornings getting darker. The sunrise changes at a faster rate to the sunset, initially.

The mornings are already getting darker  by the solstice,the earliest morning around the 18th june yet the evenings are longer up to the 24th,the 21st is half way between the 2 dates aprox 6 days apart.Strange as it is more than 2 weeks apart for the winter solstice,am sure someone can explain the difference!!!!

• Like 1

Posted

The mornings are already getting darker  by the solstice,the earliest morning around the 18th june yet the evenings are longer up to the 24th,the 21st is half way between the 2 dates aprox 6 days apart.Strange as it is more than 2 weeks apart for the winter solstice,am sure someone can explain the difference!!!!

Presumably to do with the eccentricity of the Earth's orbit? The winter solstice is very near perihelion and the Earth is orbiting faster, which is why winter in the N hemisphere is slightly shorter than summer (solstice to equinox). The equation of time actually reaches zero near both solstices, so seems not to explain this anomaly.

Posted

My camera detected (raindrop) movement and emailed me this, even though I know how light it is very early I still did a double take.

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The mornings are already getting darker by the solstice, the earliest morning around the 18th june yet the evenings are longer up to the 24th, the 21st is half way between the 2 dates approx 6 days apart. Strange as it is more than 2 weeks apart for the winter solstice, am sure someone can explain the difference!!!!

Depends on where you live for me here in Darlington I have the following

June 13th 04:30 / 21:42

June 18th 04:30 / 21:45

June 21st 04:30 / 21:46

June 28th 04:33 / 21:46

Its not until June 30th that we lose exactly one minute of daylight

Not really towards the end of July that the decrease in light becomes noticeable

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Its a good one and a half months to go before i notice the sun setting any earlier so lots of time to enjoy the light.

• Like 2

Posted

Its a good one and a half months to go before i notice the sun setting any earlier so lots of time to enjoy the light.

Set your alarm for 0330 and you can have even more of it.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

The only thing I hate about the long daylight hours of Summer is that the light wakes me up in the mornings through the blinds. If it could start to get bright when I am about to wake up that would be fab. 

I loathe going and coming home from work in the dark. It feels like you don't see sunlight for months.

I think my favourite is about August in terms of day length.