Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yes the best change we could make is moving the clocks back to BST at the same time the US does - early March. More people are awake at 1830 than 0630!

• Like 1

Posted

yes but i like to wake up in daylight not the dark i have enough trouble getting up normally anyway so i would never want the clocks to be on BST all year round, however darkness is the afternoon/evening don't bother me at all in fact i prefer it, cos im up and about then, it feels more like winter and more festive around the xmas period

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

The problem with the jump to GMT is how utterly dreadful traffic/safety conditions become just after that clock move. 

yes but i like to wake up in daylight not the dark i have enough trouble getting up normally anyway so i would never want the clocks to be on BST all year round, however darkness is the afternoon/evening don't bother me at all in fact i prefer it, cos im up and about then, it feels more like winter and more festive around the xmas period

Count yourself lucky if you get to stay in bed till (at least) 0830. I'm lucky in it being 'only' 0730 but I suspect most working folks are up 0630-0700 so its dark for months on end anyway. It'd make little difference to them in the morning if we stayed on BST but it'd make a lot of difference during early Nov and Feb in the evenings to be on BST!

Posted

Count yourself lucky if you get to stay in bed till (at least) 0830. I'm lucky in it being 'only' 0730 but I suspect most working folks are up 0630-0700 so its dark for months on end anyway.

I've got to be up at 0430 for work all this week. Obviously it's blacker than a blind cobbler's thumb at that time but I think it's fabulous and a far cry from the misery of being woken by the damn sun nuking my retinas at the same time only a few months back.

• Like 1

Posted

i get up at about 7:30am and even in december and January it is starting to get light at that time on a clear morning, in november it is light before 7am on GMT time

if people want it daylight when they finish work then i suggest we move the clocks 6hrs ahead so sunrise is at 2pm and sunset is at 10pm in december, so there is plenty of time for a picnic in the park, plenty of time for a beer in the beer garden and plenty of time for BBQs, hang on a minute its winter nobody will do that

• Like 2

Posted

It's what it is. It's the turning of the year. Leave it alone, been this way for decades. Whatever you think of it, it marks the decay/new life of the year.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

if we had BST all year round February would feel like a spring month with it getting dark at nearly 7pm by mid month, i do think the clocks should go forward in early march though and i think that will happen one day

Its back in the media again this clock change the current proposal which has a lot of backing is to put clocks forward 1 hr in October and 2 hours forward in March

The proposal to move the clocks one hour ahead of GMT in the winter and two hours ahead in the summer has the support of the Tourism Alliance, environmentalists and road safety groups. The National Farmers Union (NFU) said a majority of its members were also in favour of the proposal. Speaking to the Express Online, Baroness Billingham said: "I know a vast majority of people approve of this, especially when they look out the window at 6 o'clock and see it's getting dark - it's so unnecessary. "Organisations such as the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents say there would be a reduction in the number of accidents and fatalities involving children coming out of school in the dark."

The extra hour gained on a afternoon would make a big difference for kids safety on an afternoon and during February it wouldn't be getting dark till 18:00 / 19:00 ish depending on your location and time of month

More on this topic here - http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78192-cheaper-energy-bills-and-an-economic-boost-if-we-dont-turn-clocks-back/?p=2808492

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

but if we go to double summer time when do we put the clocks back? if we were still on double summer time now sunrise would currently be at 08:32 am here and it will be at about 9am in ireland so it would be just as bad for people in the mornings than in the evenings, anyway kids finish school at about 3pm it gets dark at about 4pm in winter

so the mornings would be dark in october, november, december, january, feburay and some of march if we had double summer time and BST time, do we really need it light till 11 30pm in summer?

Edited by Tony27

LOL your views aren't proving popular Bottesford, you seem to have a real obsession with our time, you aren't going to manufacture any extra light for you from this time of year whatever you do with the clocks, enjoy cold dark Berlin from November ;)

• Like 2

Posted

but if we go to double summer time when do we put the clocks back? if we were still on double summer time now sunrise would currently be at 08:32 am here and it will be at about 9am in ireland so it would be just as bad for people in the mornings than in the evenings, anyway kids finish school at about 3pm it gets dark at about 4pm in winterso the mornings would be dark in october, november, december, january, feburay and some of march if we had double summer time and BST time, do we really need it light till 11 30pm in summer?

Not it will be 10am it is already 9am

Its back in the media again this clock change the current proposal which has a lot of backing is to put clocks forward 1 hr in October and 2 hours forward in MarchThe extra hour gained on a afternoon would make a big difference for kids safety on an afternoon and during February it wouldn't be getting dark till 18:00 / 19:00 ish depending on your location and time of monthMore on this topic here - http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78192-cheaper-energy-bills-and-an-economic-boost-if-we-dont-turn-clocks-back/?p=2808492

Disaster.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Some folk would be happy to have Halloween and Bonfire Night in broad daylight. Whassamatter with these people?

No, i think its appropriate that the nights draw in as it gets colder and wetter. What use is evening daylight when its cold and damp outside. It might as well be dark. However in Summer with the long dry spells and warm evenings the light nights are really appreciated.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Isn't the current set up pretty much just there because of Scotland? It makes far more sense for much of England and Wales to use the BST system all year round so as to gain an extra hour's light in the evening. 

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted

No, i think its appropriate that the nights draw in as it gets colder and wetter. What use is evening daylight when its cold and damp outside. It might as well be dark. However in Summer with the long dry spells and warm evenings the light nights are really appreciated.

more light in the evening has its plus points for example people driving can see more easily in November and in February when its not dark till after 5pm, though in the mornings it will be dark at 8am when its normally getting light at that time on GMT, but when these politicians say BST gives people the chance to do more things in the evening after work, like what exactly? have a BBQ, go for a stroll in the muddy fields, go to the allotment, do jobs in the garden it will still be getting dark at 5pm or 6pm anyway hardly time to do anything let alone what the weather's like

we are on BST now but i don't bother going down to my allotment as there is hardly time to do anything in the evenings on weekdays and its not getting dark till 6 30pm

Edited by Tony27

Posted

Isn't the current set up pretty much just there because of Scotland? It makes far more sense for much of England and Wales to use the BST system all year round so as to gain an extra hour's light in the evening. 

If Scotland goes independent next year we could see them bringing in there own time zone, which in turn would free the rest of the UK to move its timezone if it wished to do so.

I believe the current set up is down to Scotland yes, a BST type time zone all year round for England and Wales makes sense

Posted

By the same token it would seem some folk would be happy to have little or no daylight, no sunlight, no warm weather and no summer. Posted Image

You talkin' 'bout me? I'd be happy with that. How about all these folk wanting ever-lighter evenings having it get dark at 7pm in mid-June?

Posted

You talkin' 'bout me? I'd be happy with that. How about all these folk wanting ever-lighter evenings having it get dark at 7pm in mid-June?

Thankfully our position in Europe means it getting dark at 7pm in mid June is virtually impossible unless it got light at about 2am!

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Personally, I prefer the night drawn in. It makes things feel much more cosy, the only downside is that social nightlife at the weekend dwindles slightly.

Posted

Ireland and scotland. Its only east of england that bst could work in.

Posted

If Scotland goes independent next year we could see them bringing in there own time zone, which in turn would free the rest of the UK to move its timezone if it wished to do so.I believe the current set up is down to Scotland yes, a BST type time zone all year round for England and Wales makes sense

Really conveniant.

Thankfully our position in Europe means it getting dark at 7pm in mid June is virtually impossible unless it got light at about 2am!

Om gmt -1 i'd have sunrises of 2:45 and sunset of 8:20

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

If Scotland goes independent next year we could see them bringing in there own time zone, which in turn would free the rest of the UK to move its timezone if it wished to do so.I believe the current set up is down to Scotland yes, a BST type time zone all year round for England and Wales makes sense

So you want Scotland to go independent for the sake of the clocks?I don't why this is kicking up so much of a fuss. It's fine the way it is, get on with it, and if you don't like it what can you do?
  • Like 1

Posted

So you want Scotland to go independent for the sake of the clocks?I don't why this is kicking up so much of a fuss. It's fine the way it is, get on with it, and if you don't like it what can you do?

I never said that I said if they go independent next year we could see them bringing in there own time zone, which can't be ruled out.

I personally don't think the Scottish folk will vote to go independent but thats for another thread

Posted

i don't know why people get so depressed about the dark in winter anyway, i only dislike it when i wake up in the morning but i just turn a light on