Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted

Urrrggghhh what a dark start to the day after what seemed an especially early darkening of the evening yesterday. It seems to have suddenly crept up on me and the prospect of not being out in any length of daylight during the working week is very grim.

Thank goodness the sun is now making a valiant effort to raise light levels through the office windows!

Posted

Urrrggghhh what a dark start to the day after what seemed an especially early darkening of the evening yesterday. It seems to have suddenly crept up on me and the prospect of not being out in any length of daylight during the working week is very grim.

Thank goodness the sun is now making a valiant effort to raise light levels through the office windows!

I'm on nights and it's getting to the time of year where if I really play my cards right I can avoid the sun for days - and if the weather plays ball - for weeks on end. It's marvellous I tell you... marvellous!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Very often towards November and December with my shift patterns, I'll go to bed in the dark then wake up once the sun has already been up and set again.

Posted

Very often towards November and December with my shift patterns, I'll go to bed in the dark then wake up once the sun has already been up and set again.

Yep - that's the plan!

Posted

had to put the lights on at 6 45 as it is so dull even though sunset isn't till 7 30 here a proper autumnal day wet, chilly and dull I'd prefer this in october as this weather will do my late crops no good at all

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Lights on at 1900hrs here only because I would be most upset if one of the giant house spiders we have roaming around looking to get married should get stepped on.

Yep, spiders are amazing.
  • Like 2

Posted

As long as they don't come near me!  Not that I would harm them mind.

Try to overcome your fear Don, if I can get our 4 year  old grandson to hold a house spider that spanned his fingers without being scared I am sure you could do to.Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

I've dealt with quite a few Giant House Spiders this week.... "spider season" is upon us as males wander looking for mates before Winter. Apparently on the link below Giant House Spiders don't live in Scotland, can anyone confirm this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Distribution.tegenaria.duellica.png

Posted

Yep, spiders are amazing.

Amazing?! I hate the things. If one wanders across my living room floor, it's soon made extinct. As far as I'm concerned they can wander about as much as they want outside but in my house they either get evicted or squashed. I wonder how many of these 'don't hurt spiders' brigade would let a slug or wasp wander around their house.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

What I do love about the longer nights is that its much easier to sleep,  as much as I love summer summer. heat and of course Thunderstorms ( The only thing I love waking up for)  I hate waking up say 4am/5am in the morning to almost bright sunlight and cannot get back to sleep at all, because I know id  just be really tired at work  but hey ho thats life.

I am looking forward to really long nights for a while, I'm sociable in whatever conditions, love going to the pub on a winters night, I dont know why i just do :)

However what I hate aout winter is the lack of thunderstorms :( But I love the snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Amazing?! I hate the things. If one wanders across my living room floor, it's soon made extinct. As far as I'm concerned they can wander about as much as they want outside but in my house they either get evicted or squashed. I wonder how many of these 'don't hurt spiders' brigade would let a slug or wasp wander around their house.

Agreed. Show no mercy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

I wouldn't kill the wasp or the slug. I've never heard of slugs in the house but I'd just chuck it outside in the moist conditions where it needs to be. I chuck wasps outside because they pose a threat with their sting, but giant house spiders are completely harmless and rarely bite. I've never been bitten. I've liked spiders since I was a toddler which is why I think they're so awesome. Edited by 22nov10blast

Posted

Aren't slugs and common wasps seen as pests and spiders as pest control? I don't mind the little spiders wandering around. The big spiders are gently evicted.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Not bothered by spiders in the slightest - I just leave them to do their own thing. If a screaming person with spider fear is present I'll just grab it and carry it outside - or taunt them by letting said spider run up my arm. hehe.

Slugs don't go in the house and they are true pests since they eat crops and make a right old mess - so yes spiders fine, slugs go. Wasps - again just leave 'em to it although I'll help them out a window if I find one. Not an issue now as all the windows are shut and suspect most have died off in the colder weather.

What I do love about the longer nights is that its much easier to sleep,  as much as I love summer summer. heat and of course Thunderstorms ( The only thing I love waking up for)  I hate waking up say 4am/5am in the morning to almost bright sunlight and cannot get back to sleep at all, because I know id  just be really tired at work  but hey ho thats life.

I am looking forward to really long nights for a while, I'm sociable in whatever conditions, love going to the pub on a winters night, I dont know why i just do Posted Image

However what I hate aout winter is the lack of thunderstorms Posted Image But I love the snow

It's definitely easier to lie in at weekends during the darker parts of the year - the place remains cold & dark for longer and our budgies stay quiet and dopey for more of the morning.

But getting up for work has already become much harder. Gone is the waking up refreshed after a night of air drifting into the room, the house warm and with the sun blazing in - I've been waking up before the alarm clock most of summer. Now we're back to recycled CO2 all night, dull mornings and the house being a damn sight colder than my bed... net result - swearing at the alarm clock again every morning...

If house spider is found in the house, it meets its maker. We cannot co-exist and I'm not putting them outside only for them to crawl back in and terrorise me further. Woodlice, moths, slugs, daddy long legs etc I'll happilly show the door, wouldn't hurt flies either. I don't even mind other spiders, but there's something of Hell about the house ones.

Edited by Bobby
  • Like 1

Posted

Had a big one in the bath last night (borderline Category 5). It's been a pretty active season here so far.

It's always a sign that autumn's here when the long-legged males start roaming round.

Posted

If house spider is found in the house, it meets its maker. We cannot co-exist and I'm not putting them outside only for them to crawl back in and terrorise me further. Woodlice, moths, slugs, daddy long legs etc I'll happilly show the door, wouldn't hurt flies either. I don't even mind other spiders, but there's something of Hell about the house ones.

Yep, only the tegenaria (house spiders) freak me out too. I can deal with any other species of them. I've had a rather large example of one of those spindly legged spiders on the ceiling at the top of my stairs for ages. I'm absolutely fine with it being there as it doesn't bother me in the slightest- plus I know that particular species feeds on the house spiders so it's all good in my book! If I could fill my house with them I would as it would equal less tegenaria beasts.

As for people saying slugs don't get in the house.....I can testify that they most certainly do. They can get in through vents/small cracks in brickwork etc and I've seen plenty of them in various houses.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

Aren't slugs and common wasps seen as pests and spiders as pest control? I don't mind the little spiders wandering around. The big spiders are gently evicted.

Any insect/arachnid any other slimy thing is seen as a pest in my house.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Yep, only the tegenaria (house spiders) freak me out too. I can deal with any other species of them. I've had a rather large example of one of those spindly legged spiders on the ceiling at the top of my stairs for ages. I'm absolutely fine with it being there as it doesn't bother me in the slightest- plus I know that particular species feeds on the house spiders so it's all good in my book! If I could fill my house with them I would as it would equal less tegenaria beasts.

As for people saying slugs don't get in the house.....I can testify that they most certainly do. They can get in through vents/small cracks in brickwork etc and I've seen plenty of them in various houses.

Indeed. I've found slugs in my bathroom. I just rinse them down the bathroom plughole.

And agreed - I'm fine with those spindly-legged spiders (harvestmen spiders) being in my house. They're like daddy longlegs without wings.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry or cold and snowy, but please not mild and rainy!

Indeed. I've found slugs in my bathroom. I just rinse them down the bathroom plughole. And agreed - I'm fine with those spindly-legged spiders (harvestmen spiders) being in my house. They're like daddy longlegs without wings.

Both Harvestman spiders and cellar spiders are known in many parts of the world as Daddy Longlegs for obvious reasons. In Australia the cellar spider species are actually a form of pest control as they prey on the redback spider which is both common and potentially deadly (although, with the exception of infants, not if you get treatment) but in any case certainly painful.On this basis we never removed these daddy longlegs spiders from the house.As for slugs I have many times seen their trails on the carpet in our house, particularly last year when it was so damp. Edited by SomeLikeItHot

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I could be wrong but I thought this was a thread about the nights drawing in? Just saying..... Posted Image

They are just trying to fool you :D

In other news it is very dull here, weather is not much better either...

• Like 1