The changing daylight hours thread

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happens twice every year (March and September) near where I live, the sunsets between two trees. These two sunsets, 11 1/2 years apart March 2009 Last evening

You think? We get these same stories and debates every single year but nothing ever changes.   Long live GMT!

Well guess what LG, some of us here suffer from SAD so I can't tell you how much that can affect your mood and how much better daylight can make you feel. Need I remind you how much you complain about

Posted Images

The only thing that ticks me off when the clocks go forward is all the "Summer's here!" nonsense that you hear, even while the trees are still bare and you have snow falling, as was the case earlier this year.

Edited by March Blizzard

Sunset is now before 8pm and tonight is the first very cold night of the autumn. It's already down to 7.6C which is lower than any temperature between 4th July and 30th August Posted Image

What a difference! We're above 20C down here!

Very odd today, getting on the tube at 6.45 in hot sunshine, walking out from the station at the other end at 7.30 with my sunglasses already on, exactly as I have for the last 4 months... but finding it almost dark already! Really struck me today, Summer has gone for another year. Personally feel ready for some cooler, fresher weather.

The low light levels today really cloud your head up I find. This morning especially my pc monitor was blazing bright with outside so dull it was giving me a headache - reminds me exactly of things to come when 4pm headaches return - the combo of an airless office + darkness mid way through the day really makes you feel rotten.

Of course I shall be working elsewhere this time so hopefully I can get some air in more easily!

The low light levels today really cloud your head up I find. This morning especially my pc monitor was blazing bright with outside so dull it was giving me a headache - reminds me exactly of things to come when 4pm headaches return - the combo of an airless office + darkness mid way through the day really makes you feel rotten.

Of course I shall be working elsewhere this time so hopefully I can get some air in more easily!

Yes I think today's weather will only magnify the darkness this evening. 

We have to move our clocks when Europe does so not up to our government. 

Really thought it should move in line with the US if nothing else to help business - I've certainly felt the confusion of it at work before!

But really it'd help loads with energy saving as it would take daylight away from 6am-7am and put it 6pm-7pm when the majority of people are awake.

We have to move our clocks when Europe does so not up to our government. 

Really thought it should move in line with the US if nothing else to help business - I've certainly felt the confusion of it at work before!

But really it'd help loads with energy saving as it would take daylight away from 6am-7am and put it 6pm-7pm when the majority of people are awake.

How on under-god would it help business when the USA is 4 hours difference during that time period? Sorry but being 4 hours is better than 5 hours. 

Yes but its only 4 hours for 3 (or is it 4?) weeks of the year and you'd probably not be amazed how many people get caught out by that! 

It'd def be easier 4 hours all the time but that doesn't make sense given the distance here to the east coast of the US.

It's a 5:30am start for me tomorrow so with a bit of luck there'll be some decent cloudcover and it will be dark at that time...

If you walk round the house with the curtains closed how do you see without having to put on the lights on and do you have a couple of freezers with doors open like laserguy!

Certainly noticing the shortening levels of light, we are loosing 3 minutes at the start of each day and the end at the moment- the greatest daily rate of loss occurs fron now until the clocks go back. On cloudy wet days like today the effect is much more greatly felt, indeed because of this it feels like we have lost a month all of a sudden.

What a contrast in feel to say only 2 weeks ago.

• Like 1

Sunset is now before 8pm and tonight is the first very cold night of the autumn. It's already down to 7.6C which is lower than any temperature between 4th July and 30th August :cold:

We actually reached 5'C weeks ago but it went unmentioned be caused people weren't at all in winter mode

If you walk round the house with the curtains closed how do you see without having to put on the lights on and do you have a couple of freezers with doors open like laserguy!

I turn a couple of lights on but at this time of year I try to get outside as quickly as possible to enjoy the darkness.

I turn a couple of lights on but at this time of year I try to get outside as quickly as possible to enjoy the darkness.

you wil have plenty of time over the next few months to enjoy that :)